Coronavirus (COVID-19)

24 minutes ago, super_carson said:

There's been quite a few gym owners I know making this point. Undoubtedly they are concerned about their businesses, but I read an article from UK Active that reported a covid rate of 0.34 per 100,000 visits, and that's considering the gyms in England reopened 2 months before they did in Scotland....

It's all been one big populist mess. Cannae allow low risk things like lower league fitba to happen because people will moan about how they cannae do something high risk while the see folk doing something low risk and focus groups are telling them that will cost the SNP votes. These decisions should never have been in the hands of politicians to decide and should have been determined rationally by public health professionals.

Just now, Steven W said:

This could lead to a bit of hand forcing.

And rightly so - its time to get sensible. Fans should be able to go to those games- and in meaningful numbers.

Personally I think its heading towards the Cup Final will have a meaningful number of fans, as will the Hampden games.

I'd hope so too, but whether or not the SG are prepared to make a commitment this early on is the issue.  Personally, I think that we should be able to have supporters in Stadiums given downward trends with the data but it just smacks of this ultra-cautious taking-no-chances strategy.  It will be massively unpopular if we can't have  game at Hampden but it gets moved a couple hours down the road to Newcastle for a full house. 

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's all been one big populist mess. Cannae allow low risk things like lower league fitba to happen because people will moan about how they cannae do something high risk while the see folk doing something low risk and focus groups are telling them that will cost the SNP votes. These decisions should never have been in the hands of politicians to decide and should have been determined rationally by public health professionals.

Like Devi and Leitch?

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

I think someone said this months ago (can't remember who) but any decision taken by a politician is a political decision.  

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Leitch and Sridhar are public health professionals.

So no fans at games at Hampden for the Euro’s but England will have full capacity [emoji38] 

I'd love to know where the BBC are getting this from, it's akin to their earlier regurgitation exercise this week. UEFA publicly stated the games would be played at the agreed venues regardless of crowds. If they have rowed back on that I'd like to see it. Not sure how England have given any "guarantee " given they have merely announced earliest possible dates, hardly a guarantee in anyone's eyes. Also 2 games at Wembley are before their restrictions end so simply cannot have full crowds as it stands. Most of the other cities hosting are way behind the UK vaccine wise so again assurances or guarantees would be baseless.

It "should" be feasible to have crowds come mid June but I simply cant see it being guaranteed by anyone. I suspect this is yet another BBC anti govt scare story.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

I punish myself to a greggs for lunch once a week or so, and the just eat guy is always hanging about outside picking up deliveries. At 1130 in the morning. I didn't even know you could phone shit in at that time. 

FTFY.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Fucking hell, worst idea yet from the thread. If that was the case we wouldn’t be allowed out of the house until 2025.

I'd love to know where the BBC are getting this from, it's akin to their earlier regurgitation exercise this week. UEFA publicly stated the games would be played at the agreed venues regardless of crowds. If they have rowed back on that I'd like to see it. Not sure how England have given any "guarantee " given they have merely announced earliest possible dates, hardly a guarantee in anyone's eyes. Also 2 games at Wembley are before their restrictions end so simply cannot have full crowds as it stands. Most of the other cities hosting are way behind the UK vaccine wise so again assurances or guarantees would be baseless.

It "should" be feasible to have crowds come mid June but I simply cant see it being guaranteed by anyone. I suspect this is yet another BBC anti govt scare story.
Still the same info on UEFA website.

The 12 original UEFA EURO 2020 host cities will stage the tournament when it takes place in summer 2021, with the UEFA Executive Committee also confirming the updated match schedule for the finals.
All existing tickets remain valid for the tournament in 2021, though buyers who wish to return their tickets will have a final opportunity to request a refund from 18 to 25 June, via euro2020.com/tickets. Dates for potential future ticket sales – including for fans of the four teams that qualify via the play-offs – will be confirmed at a later date.
The UEFA Executive Committee also expressed its appreciation to the host associations, host cities and their authorities for their continuous support and commitment to organising the postponed UEFA EURO 2020.

I suspect UKG offering to "host" all fixtures is leading to the BBC trying to ramp up the pressure on venues.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think I'm the only person on P&B who didn't see the picture of vT when it was posted.

I didn't see it, have no will to see it either. Wanting to know what some stranger on the internet looks like is an admission of being a weirdo/absolutely rattled.

To be fair if England offer to host the games with say 50% capacities then its only reasonable to tell us and the other places to gtf with the mewling hand wringing. 
I wonder if outside the very partisan world on twitter where even the slightest criticism of the governments mutli-faceted failure fest response from this pandemic leads to abuse and labelling as ‘a tory yoon’ the SNP have any actual insight into just how unpopular they are becoming? 

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

This further backs up my rage that we've locked down the entire country for a year to protect these old c***s and most of them don't give a f**k.

Most of the coffin dodgers in shops don't do social distancing or wear a mask properly.  I'm a huge fan of natural selection.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I didn't see it, have no will to see it either. Wanting to know what some stranger on the internet looks like is an admission of being a weirdo/absolutely rattled.

Taking the piss out of someone for their looks is OFTW behaviour.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

Personally I don't think we should have crowds at football again in future in case there is A Variant

Like at Hamilton AMIRITE

The SNP are well aware that committing to fans in stadiums right now goes against the cautious approach they're following, "data not dates", even if they do think it will be possible. They are also football hating weirdos though so it could be entirely possible they're standing their ground just to spite fans.  We must hope that sense prevails but Sturgeon will take a hell of a pounding if she's the reason these games get moved. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

The SNP are well aware that committing to fans in stadiums right now goes against the cautious approach they're following, "data not dates", even if they do think it will be possible. They are also football hating weirdos though so it could be entirely possible they're standing their ground just to spite fans.  We must hope that sense prevails but Sturgeon will take a hell of a pounding if she's the reason these games get moved. 

Nah. It'll just be used as another stick to beat the "Profit before Lives" reckless Toaries with.

21 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

This story came up yesterday in a variety of different places - the one I saw was in the Irish Examiner claiming that Dublin was basically finished and that Glasgow and Bilbao were both at risk. Given the very well placed sources, I think there's a lot of truth in it, and it is certainly not a BBC "anti govt scare story". UEFA will very clearly want to have games in front of fans, because it's better for absolutely everyone than the continued nonsense of behind closed doors football.

These are large events which require tickets to be sold, and therefore host cities are being asked to provide a plan for getting fans in so that these logistics can be carried out reasonably. Various other governments across Europe, including those who are currently in a much worse state than us, appear to have no issues with making these plans. It's not about concrete absolute facts, but it's about saying "here's what we think we'll be doing".

If the Scottish government are so risk-averse or blinkered that they can't even put forward a plan then that is absolutely a failure on their part and they deserve to be criticised for it.

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

In the radio (BBC Scotland) just now that there was an April deadline where govts had to decide if fans would be allowed. This has now been "drastically" moved forward, to the extent that Glasgow and Dublin's prospects for holding these are "bleak".

While I agree that the trends just now look like it shouldn't be an issue, there's something not right about uefa putting this pressure on - I'd like to know why this deadline *had* to be moved till now if April had previously been fine.