Coronavirus (COVID-19)

41 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Perhaps younger kids are less susceptible. Not unsusceptible, just less.

That of course adds nuance to a debate which has involved people screeching about “infection factories” and “nail bars”.

Nursery-P3 going back coincided with the increase in that cohort, though. P4-P7 going back doesn't seem to have had the same effect. Maybe it's just that that age group are given more freedom by their parents to go out and play with their friends, so them going back to school hasn't actually increased their exposure much. Who knows, but it's interesting nonetheless.

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

Considering us and Israel are a small bright speck on an ongoing and worsening global shitshow, its not really that unreasonable for scientists to suggest we'll need to keep an eye on covid for a while yet imo. I certainly wouldn't brand them weirdos for doing so. 

Except that's not all that he said. Maintaining social distancing is not 'keeping an eye out', it is a ruinous social and economic restriction. 

47 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Perhaps younger kids are less susceptible. Not unsusceptible, just less.

That of course adds nuance to a debate which has involved people screeching about “infection factories” and “nail bars”.

At secondary level the pupils are barely there and when they are there they're in a room with 10 other pupils at most, at least 1m apart.

We'll see what happens after Easter when they're back with 32 other pupils and no space between them.

43 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

“Enjoy your vaccinated island!” 

I will, thank you Mr Senior Diplomat.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/27/europe/europe-is-angry-with-itself-intl-analysis-cmd/index.html

Im very much a pro-european minded person, id love an indy scotland to either be a member of the single market/eec or EU. But with that said the behaviour of the leaders in the EU has been nothing short of scandalous. For them to ‘blame’ the UK when the UK has essentially been very open for about a year now that it’s ordered x,y,z of vaccines is a bit rich and probably more to cover up their own shortfalls. The tories have got one thing in the pandemic response right, they paid over the odds and ordered over the volume of a variety of vaccines to get first dibs, the EU dithered and tried to get things on the cheap, they should own their f**k up in the same way i believe the tories should own the economic/social consequences of brexit. Strip back the pantomime ‘this wouldnt have happened without brexit’ shite where Boris is playing to his base and you can see it for what it is. 

At secondary level the pupils are barely there and when they are there they're in a room with 10 other pupils at most, at least 1m apart.
We'll see what happens after Easter when they're back with 32 other pupils and no space between them.

Agreed.

Hopefully after Easter we will have even more vaccinated, and the full time return of secondary pupils will have no impact on hospitalisations

37 minutes ago, virginton said:

Except that's not all that he said. Maintaining social distancing is not 'keeping an eye out', it is a ruinous social and economic restriction. 

Good to see you engage mate. I was worried you'd chucked it and become a dotting account 🤗 

Edited by madwullie

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/56566256
Fans in for the FA Cup semi-finals. Surely the SG would do the same up here. 
What's the point 4k at Wembley is equivalent to having about 2500 at a Hampden game. Utterly pointless and not a lot different to the 300 we had at Dingwall previously. We know those sort of % work so it's pointless. We need to get to say 10k at a venue like Hampden to have any meaningful "test" value.

6 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Some clubs have decided to stick to two-balls if they have a relatively high proportion of members living in different Local Authorities, while others have assessed that the majority of their members live same Local Authority as the course so fourballs are fine. Also, most Pros and starters will be on furlough, so there's no way to actually police the tee, so restricting bookings to two-balls at least allows Scottish Golf to demonstrate to the SG that they've played the game, which they've been pretty good at hence golf being the last sport to get shut down and the first to open.

We're fully operational with the pro acting as our "Covid Marshall", basically the club sent out a communication advising that 4 balls should only be booked if playing with people residing in the same Local Authority as each other and the club but would need to be 2 balls for those residing outwith. Everyone has to sign in prior to play and same goes for those using the practice areas or practice putting greens.

Everything has been working well (touch wood) and I've not heard of any incidents or anyone breaking the rules, although it was made abundantly clear that anyone breaking the rules would be punted out and we're in the fortunate position of still having a joining fee and close to reinstating a waiting list, so definitely not worth the risk for people to try it on.

3 hours ago, GiGi said:

The notion of no tackling at 5s is just very stupid and would not adhered to in any games in practice.

The very first loose first touch or 2 players running for the ball will see to that, unless you think both players will pull out and say "after you, sir" "no no, I insist" etc. If 5s is allowed to be played then people will just play 5s.

I don't know about that, Scotland appeared to adopt that particular tactic last night as they just stood back and admired the passing prowess of the mighty Israel.

What is wrong with the staff in care situations in the like of Lambeth ?   Less than 50% have taken up vaccinations according to that question at the briefing. Even Whitty indicated they were breeching their duty of care.

3 minutes ago, superbigal said:

What is wrong with the staff in care situations in the like of Lambeth ?   Less than 50% have taken up vaccinations according to that question at the briefing. Even Whitty indicated they were breeching their duty of care.

I would imagine that the staff in Lambeth will be overwhelmingly from the BAME communities.

I haven't been paying attention tbh, but has there been any messaging about it's safety or effectiveness among that demographic?

Just now, WATTOO said:

We're fully operational with the pro acting as our "Covid Marshall", basically the club sent out a communication advising that 4 balls should only be booked if playing with people residing in the same Local Authority as each other and the club but would need to be 2 balls for those residing outwith. Everyone has to sign in prior to play and same goes for those using the practice areas or practice putting greens.

Everything has been working well (touch wood) and I've not heard of any incidents or anyone breaking the rules, although it was made abundantly clear that anyone breaking the rules would be punted out and we're in the fortunate position of still having a joining fee and close to reinstating a waiting list, so definitely not worth the risk for people to try it on.

That's pretty much how one of my clubs is operating, but the other has a high proportion of members living outside the Authority and the Pro is on furlough so the Committee have decided not to chance it. I know of a few other clubs in this position.

Since I live outwith the Local Authority and travel guidance limits, I've not set foot on either course since January. How my legs are going to cope with 36 holes of Medal golf on a Saturday without any pre-season is anyone's guess 🙄

Q: If people have had both doses, why shouldn’t they hug their grandchildren at Easter. They are as safe as they will ever be.

A: Whitty says having two doses provides protections. But vaccines also offer protection by reducing the amount of virus in transmission. He says that protection will not fully be in place.

He says younger people will not be vaccinated, and will be meeting people who aren’t.

And he says it takes time for the second dose to take effect.

The absolute fucking nick of this, given that we have a rolling set of vaccines that provide overwhelming direct protection against serious illness and death. A completely unthinkable success for medicine one year ago, yet public health psychos are still churning out this utter drivel public messaging. 

It's time to flush their heads down the toilet and move on. 

Edited by vikingTON