Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 hours ago, strichener said:

Tbf, your success rate is pretty miniscule.  Let's ignore cumulative and speak about percentages.  I'm sure you'll be well below the "experts".  

Even more stark if you take the number of times that you posted the same inaccuracies with conviction.  

His "over as public health crisis" last August being a prime example.

Disappointing to see the unelected head of the fed hitting out with that tone of argument. Aye its frustrating that the criteria seems to include everyone who calls the police for help with their own job but to have a go at what’s possibly a small minority is an own goal, but not really surprising given his previous gaffes, truly the prince philip of police representative bodies. Issue should be taken up with the government not an unsubstantiated hidden ‘other’. Im a carer, im vaccinated, I know what I do for the person I care for so f**k anyone who has an issue. More people should review the criteria for unpaid carers too. 

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

There are nearly 14 million people providing unpaid care to a vulnerable person whether that's through age, disability (my own situation) or whatever. To suggest that there's a rampant epidemic of people frauding the system to jump ahead by a couple of months is absolutely mental.

ayrmad having a mare again.

Yes - there will always be people who try to game the system but we are undoubtedly talking miniscule numbers.

26 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Not sure this has been shared

Independent Sage is becoming more and more bizarre.  The guy who claimed we would have herd immunity today (if you redefine Herd immnity to mean something completely different to how every other person understands it) has now said that the r number is 1.8.

Aren't Chile mainly using that pish Sinovac vaccine that even the Chinese are saying has poor efficacy? Not really comparable situations imo. Literally doing everything to try and keep everyone in panic.

Listening to another epidemiologist on the radio this morning and it struck me that these are the sort of people who would read that there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of being struck by lightning, look out the window on a glorious day, see a tiny black cloud, shit it and not go out. 

I think we are now reaching the point where the tangible benefits of the "road map" are being seeing in England at least. 2 weeks away from that for us, but crucially, I think we are at the point now where a backward step will not be accepted by the masses.

And just to add on before this gets quoted, I suspect YouGov surveys showing deep rooted support for current and stricter measures are a lot of shite.

The Lovejoy types are reaching the point where they will simply be allowed to quietly drown in their tears

There are other factors in why Australia had less cases and less deaths nothing to do with the measures the government took, they still locked down at the same time as we did.
Maybe next time we have a mere hint of a virus outbreak in China (for example) we should respond immediately by setting fire to the countryside to scare the tourists into not coming here.
There's probably thousands of people there climbing the walls and hating that c**t Morrison for wanting to keep us locked down forever and completely f**king the economy.
But the grass is greener over there right now, at least until the next round of bushfires.

Pretty much all of this is wrong.
The number of deaths was everything to do with government decisions. Closing the borders and a strong focus on track and trace was the difference.
The January bushfire had a minimal effect on inbound travel.
Morrison initially argued against locking down and then was keen to ease restrictions early; it was the State governments which forced him into it.
The economy is recovering better than expected and is performing better than most.
No one is climbing the walls as we've all been able to go to the pub, the beach, the footy (with some restrictions and intermittent local lockdowns) for months. Recent State elections in WA and Qld delivered landslides for governments who locked down.
The only bit you got right was calling Morrison a c**t.

Fire up the Cohibas, imo

• 199 new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 9,797 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 2.4% of these were positive
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that register offices are now generally closed on weekends)
  • 21 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 154 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 2,668,723 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 590,174 have received their second dose

Am i right in thinking positivity is usually a wee bit higher on Monday figures? 

ETA: I mean the test positivity - not the level of positivity on the forum resulting in clouds of cigar smoke. 

Edited by Day of the Lords

46 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Even sadder that he gave me a greenie for saying he's thick.

image.thumb.png.6c455dd0e26c6fb9f35b5d707f226998.png

Why shouldn't I, it made me laugh. 

Edited by ayrmad

13 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
  • 2.4% positivity

Am i right in thinking positivity is usually a wee bit higher on Monday figures? 

Yes, Monday seems to be higher than the 7 day average each time. This is the lowest Monday positivity since 28 September.

2 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

What a sad life to be looking at people in their 20s and 30s getting their jabs and thinking they're just at it. My gf and I have both had first doses, me because of a prior condition (which has zero effect on my life but am I f**k turning down the offer) and her because she works with vulnerable people. The country's full of paid and unpaid carers, but also full of gormless bitter folk who hate the idea of something good happening to others.

e88298f75f19b598b2eba0c336611f9c.png&qua

Alright gang - opinions please. My folks have asked if my two kids (aged 15 and 10) would like to go and spend the night with them this week. Pre-covid they stayed with them once a week. They stayed once last summer, but that's been it.

Mum has hat both jabs, dad has had one and their opinion is certainly in the "f**k it" category. They want to have a fun night with the grandkids. 

I'm inclined to just let them go. Can anyone here tell me why not (aside form the fact it's currently not legal)?

16 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Fire up the Cohibas, imo

• 199 new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 9,797 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 2.4% of these were positive
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that register offices are now generally closed on weekends)
  • 21 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 154 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 2,668,723 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 590,174 have received their second dose

ETA: I mean the test positivity - not the level of positivity on the forum resulting in clouds of cigar smoke. 

Yes - it was 2.5% last Monday.

I think it’s always best to look at the figures from 7 days ago for a comparison rather than the day before. Not that the media know that mind - every day you see reactionary headlines like “cases/test positivity up/down from yesterday!!!”.

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Alright gang - opinions please. My folks have asked if my two kids (aged 15 and 10) would like to go and spend the night with them this week. Pre-covid they stayed with them once a week. They stayed once last summer, but that's been it.

Mum has hat both jabs, dad has had one and their opinion is certainly in the "f**k it" category. They want to have a fun night with the grandkids. 

I'm inclined to just let them go. Can anyone here tell me why not (aside form the fact it's currently not legal)?

don't announce it, just do it. That's what everyone who's breaking the rules is doing these days