Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Are those in charge now getting worked up over variants of variants?

Stop this fucking planet. I'm getting off.
WHO "There are no vaccine beating variants"

Tory no mark Grant Shapps "There is a sort of a variant of a varient type thingy going about, and we JUST DONT KNOW if it beats the vaccines"

Aye nae bother Grant.

9 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Are those in charge now getting worked up over variants of variants?

Stop this fucking planet. I'm getting off.

I don't see why we need to worry about variants in other countries- I presume that's the point of the quarantine system.

Guest Bob Mahelp

We are the point of distopian madness, when the government puts a country on the green list.....therefore encouraging tens of thousands to book holidays.....and then 3 weeks later puts the country on the amber list because of a tiny increase in cases, and an 'unknown variant' 20k miles away. 

If this is the policy, we're never, ever going to escape the insanity, and we're going to be prisoners forever. The government should tell us now if this is going to be the case. 

4 new deaths is unfortunate to see. But other than that, very high case numbers and no real change to hospital/ICU numbers so that's a positive. Vaccines at work.
Do we find out when these 4 people died, and what age they were?

That's the concerning number, unless it's just a catch-up for the last few weeks.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Went to Ikea this morning for the first time in 18 months. Now, shopping at Ikea is a nightmare at the best of times, but today was beyond parody. 

Straight away we were stopped at the red traffic light system at the door, because 3 people went in in front of us. If the red light wasn't enough, you had a girl there specifically to shout 'STOP' when the light goes on. 

There must have been a thousand hand sanitising stations in the damn place, despite the fact that it's now proven that the virus barely transmits on hard surfaces. All staff at kitchen departments are hidden away behind hard plastic screens, with masks on, so you can't hear them and they can't hear you. Every little show area has massive signs saying 'ONLY 1 PERSON/FAMILY UNIT ALLOWED IN HERE', and hilariously, they've taken away the wee pencils that you could use/steal. 

To top it all, and something that boiled ma piss, was the fact that to get a CUP OF FUCKING COFFEE, you had to reserve online for a time slot in the restaurant. We turned up at the entrance not knowing this, and were promptly given the bum's rush by the Ikea gauleiterin because we hadn't booked a slot. There were a hundred free tables, but she wanted us to stand there, reserve a table with my phone, fill in the track & trace, and then be shown to a table.....for a coffee. 

Away and f**k. 

When will this insanity stop ? Will places like Ikea continue for this with years, all because of 'just in case' ? Will people continue to put up with this, as if it's normal ?

Interesting

My wife and daughter went to IKEA Edinburgh today and experienced no kind of traffic light system.

20 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Interesting

My wife and daughter went to IKEA Edinburgh today and experienced no kind of traffic light system.

I was at the Edinburgh one on Saturday and there is definitely a traffic light system on the front door. It was green with no queue when we arrived though.

Some data indicating that the Indian/delta variant has an increased risk of hospitalisation.

Things don’t half feel a bit grim today.
Need to speed up the jagging and hope hospital numbers don’t rise by much otherwise we’ll at best get held at this level and at worst get put back

Agree with a previous poster that if things aren’t gone completely by September then they’ll be kept till next April

Things don’t half feel a bit grim today.
Need to speed up the jagging and hope hospital numbers don’t rise by much otherwise we’ll at best get held at this level and at worst get put back

Agree with a previous poster that if things aren’t gone completely by September then they’ll be kept till next April
I don't think they'll increase the levels over the summer. Yes they'll delay the easing, but it's going to take a lot to put folk back into lockdown.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Old Shappsy dropping a “we just don’t know” bomb 

DAD03C4D-BFF9-415B-B47F-5F66699EAA94.png

Embarrassing. Another needing their head flushed down the pan and then fired out Mons Meg. The airlines and travel industry should be filing court proceedings at this point.

I can only hope once we reach Israeli levels of vaccine coverage that this dystopian insanity ends.

some bumps are expected the UK, SG and EU governments just need to hold their nerve and get on with Vaccinating and opening up slowly but surely and deal with any outbreaks as lightly and locally as possible

They must have expected some increases with opening up but it cant be like before when so many are vaccinated already

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Folk that go to at IKEA get everything they deserve.

Reveal hidden contents

Too many tea lights and shoddy cheap furniture.

Their cutlery can be quite good though.

So there is, what? Another 700,000 adults needing a first dose before we get to the U18s? At current vaccination rate that's about 35 days away. So call it July give or take. Then start of September until everyone is second dosed assuming the same rate (which might actually go faster if no more first doses needed)