Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

It was the same on GMB this morning. Richard Madeley (I know, I know) asked the resident expert (Dr Amir I think his name was) why we can't bin restrictions once everyone is double dosed.

The answer was a long winded version of "we just don't know". Basically the usual pish about possible variants which currently don't exist and might never exist.

The 'expert' yeaterday morning made the completely unfounded statement that a rise in cases automatically leads to a rise in hospitalisation and a rise in deaths.  Completely ignoring the fact that the vaccines have broken this link. 

The statement went completely unchallenged, and millions of people listen to this and sub-consciously nod in agreement. 

My mum and dad....both in their 80's and double vaccinated.....have now ordered in test kits from the SG, so anyone visiting them can perform a self-test. Just in case. 

This madness will be with my parents until they shuffle off this mortal coil. They'll never be the people that they were 2 years ago.

It's sad, and desperate. And it makes me furious. 

46 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Their whole argument about variants is that even though those that are yet to be vaccinated are less likely to get seriously ill, they have the potential to cause a lot of positive (and in most cases asymptomatic) results - the more the virus is able to spread the more chance that we end of with 'another' new mutation where they 'just don't know' about the effectiveness - that's why i think the number of folks vaccinated will be the driver (or at least the new one) in determining when things will really change.

Their argument is a giant stack of nonsense though and they'll shift the goalposts yet again once all adults are vaccinated with 'vaccine evading variants' and 'booster shots needed!!!11!!!'.

The only way out is to huckle all the independent SAGE roasters and the Clownshoes in Chief out of the room and lock the door behind them to let the adults in the room make decisions.

Turned up early for my vaccine appointment but the Pfizer is late. 

Steady stream of people through the door mind you, and the 2nd doses of AZ are flying along. Just the young'uns waiting.

Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove has been notified via the NHS app that he has come into contact with someone who has coronavirus.

The senior Conservative had recently returned from Portugal after supporting Chelsea in the Champions League final.

Instead of self isolating for 10 days, Mr Gove will take daily Covid tests as part of a pilot scheme designed to measure testing effectiveness.

The exercise is aimed at finding safe alternatives to self-isolation.

Conservatives (+4)

Freshly Pfizered. They were half an hour late and then they're also telling people to sit in a waiting room for a further 15 minutes after it due to the risk of fainting. The f**k?

14 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Freshly Pfizered. They were half an hour late and then they're also telling people to sit in a waiting room for a further 15 minutes after it due to the risk of fainting. The f**k?

I think the 15 minute wait is standard for anyone getting the Pfizer. 

There are basically two options. 

Appease the border shaggers any time a new variant is unveiled and just ban everything again, in which case we might as well just make everyone in the travel industry redundant now. 

Accept variants are a fact of life, stop overpaying them and if we need to, tweak the vaccines to counter them. 

As it stands, the government seems to be doing neither. Instead we just get no end of shrieking about VaRiAnTs and often with no context either - Nepal yesterday being a real low point. The government will reap the consequences of its actions when people (and not those Independent SAGE loonies) start demanding lockdowns etc again. They have made a rod for their own back with their proclamations and it will be harder to ride it out and stick to the plan, or at least avoid rolling it back. 

The 'expert' yeaterday morning made the completely unfounded statement that a rise in cases automatically leads to a rise in hospitalisation and a rise in deaths.  Completely ignoring the fact that the vaccines have broken this link. 
The statement went completely unchallenged, and millions of people listen to this and sub-consciously nod in agreement. 

I agree with the rest of your post, but this is still true. It isn’t as bad as it used to be of course, about 10% of cases would reliably show up in hospital a week or two later, but hospitalisations are rising in Scotland because cases rose a couple of weeks ago. Hospitalisations are still falling in England as cases rise which is great for now but the hospital numbers will go up within a fortnight, just like they did here. There’s no doubt at all about it.

I’m hopeful that cases begin to fall relatively soon in Scotland, but there’ll likely be a spell where hospitalisation and deaths climbs while cases fall. All the stuff about lags still applies, and the reason the hospital numbers and deaths go up is because cases are still bad news.

5 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Fair enough. I got bored after reading the wee leaflet and just went up the road. 

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

April next year the earliest I'm expecting us to be back to "pre-Covid" experiences. In terms of football I'm not expecting away fans at games until 2022/23.

Fingers crossed they announce something in the next few weeks about an actual end date, though.

To do that it would mean only local fans could attend as home fans unless it's just so that home fans can spread out all round the stadium?

But it's still a farce you could end up with Ibrox and Parkhead filled with supporters busses from all over the UK and Ireland and yet Dunfermline and Raith fans couldn't attend the same game for example.

But yes an end date linked to deaths and hospitalisations needs published asap otherwise the media and Facebook Maws will continue to cream themselves over variants. 

33 minutes ago, GiGi said:

18 minutes ago, Scosha said:

I got Moderna on Monday (the shaggers vaccine), and we were asked to wait the 15 minutes after also. Seems like it's standard practice. Was no waiting at TECA here though, so whole thing only took a couple of minutes from arriving at the front door to the sweet, sweet vaccine circulating. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
17 minutes ago, Paco said:

I agree with the rest of your post, but this is still true. It isn’t as bad as it used to be of course, about 10% of cases would reliably show up in hospital a week or two later, but hospitalisations are rising in Scotland because cases rose a couple of weeks ago. Hospitalisations are still falling in England as cases rise which is great for now but the hospital numbers will go up within a fortnight, just like they did here. There’s no doubt at all about it.

I’m hopeful that cases begin to fall relatively soon in Scotland, but there’ll likely be a spell where hospitalisation and deaths climbs while cases fall. All the stuff about lags still applies, and the reason the hospital numbers and deaths go up is because cases are still bad news.

You're absolutely correct. 

I should have worded my first few sentences correctly, in that his unequivocal statement about 'a rise in cases automatically lead to hospitalisations and deaths' should have been tempered with a statement about vaccines working, and that the link is gradually being severed.