Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

It's too late for masks suddenly no longer being used. People have it in their heads that masks are necessary to go to the supermarket etc and not sure anything she might say about letting us not use masks again will make a difference. 

Not at all true. A percentage of people will continue to wear them at their discretion. That is fine, batter on but I can guarantee you that the majority of people who are double vaccinated would definitely not be bothering their hole wearing one.

49 minutes ago, Left Back said:

The virus no longer respects the sanctity of the school gates.  It’s learned that Swinney was full of shit.   Education is now in the last breeding ground.

I get why they are keeping a 1 m distance between staff and pupils, I get the face covering thing; not that I agree with either. However, maintaining 1 m between staff is absolutely bizarre. 

The EIS, of course, absolute love today's news. I suspect it's been led by them.

16 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I know. I know. Daily Record shite but fingers crossed all councils do this!

Edinburgh Council won’t let both Hearts and Hibs have full crowds from next week for sure. 

18 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I know. I know. Daily Record shite but fingers crossed all councils do this!

If GCC green light capacity crowds at Ibrox, Celtic Park mere hours after the announcement, and do similar for TRNSMT in the days to come, then NS would be as well coming back and just lifting the soft limits entirely.

Creating more work (and uncertainty for event organisers) has no benefits for anyone.

Unlike with the SG, i'm sure there would be more scope for legal action against councils who refuse applications too.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Yeah, but anyone who thinks it’s absolutely necessary to wear a mask to the supermarket can do so every day until the day they die, if they wish. They can wear them anywhere they fcuking want. Forever. Should they want to. Those of us who don’t though…. 

You don't need to wear them now. 

Most surprising thing about yesterday's announcement was people being surprised after it.

They're clearly just buying time in the hope we hit the cold weather, cases increase, and they can justify having restrictions over the Winter. They've never had any intention of lifting restrictions this year, and the only thing that will change between now and April is they'll add more restrictions to "keep us safe" over the Christmas period.

Most surprising thing about yesterday's announcement was people being surprised after it.
They're clearly just buying time in the hope we hit the cold weather, cases increase, and they can justify having restrictions over the Winter. They've never had any intention of lifting restrictions this year, and the only thing that will change between now and April is they'll add more restrictions to "keep us safe" over the Christmas period.

I think it’s more a case of being shite scared of cases increasing and being blamed for a rise in Covid and deaths and forced back into a lockdown.

Also, not a chance furlough is extended beyond the end of September so any restrictions implemented at Christmas would need to take that into consideration.

Not at all true. A percentage of people will continue to wear them at their discretion. That is fine, batter on but I can guarantee you that the majority of people who are double vaccinated would definitely not be bothering their hole wearing one.
I was genuinely surprised how many were still wearing them in England last week. In shops it was easily 50/50 and probably at least 30% in hospitality. What was the eye opener was the numbers masked outside in the street. Way more than I have ever seen up here despite restrictions ending and it being 25c+.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think you are probably right there.

Was in England yesterday for a few hours and when I went into a Tesco it was interesting to see that 70% or thereabouts were still wearing masks despite it not being a legal requirement. Almost all of those not wearing masks were younger people.

Masks were mandated in East Asian countries during the 1918 flu pandemic tourists from those countries were going round Edinburgh with masks on pre-COVID. The idea that people will suddenly stop wearing masks because she says we don't need to any more is probably wishful thinking. 

10 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Also, not a chance furlough is extended beyond the end of September so any restrictions implemented at Christmas would need to take that into consideration.

This.

It's almost as if the SG know this, and are just waiting to see what impact (if any) removing the requirement to social distance has before sacking off the likes of capacity limits, but can't say this because it doesn't fit with the messaging of "moving beyond the levels system" etc.

2 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

The idea that people will suddenly stop wearing masks because she says we don't need to any more is probably wishful thinking. 

I don't really care what anyone else chooses to do RE: wearing a mask, though. I just want the option to not wear one.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

I don't really care what anyone else chooses to do RE: wearing a mask, though. I just want the option to not wear one.

You already do. The notices they put up in shops along the lines of 'Masks are necessary at all times. Exemptions may apply' mean you don't actually have to wear one. Noone with any authority in the shop is actually going to challenge you. 

38 minutes ago, Donathan said:

New study proves long covid is very rare in children. Deepti Gurdasani predictably having a meltdown. 

She is an absolute charlatan and probably the worst of the lot in Britain. 

It is a disgrace that she is allowed to get any air time at all, given she has lost any sense of objectivity she once had. Another one also who will only ever carp and never offers her own solutions.

On 03/08/2021 at 00:40, Todd_is_God said:

You can almost guarantee something will be tweaked for the sake of it. Most likely something relating to indoor hospitality or football*. Just going with the original plan doesn't appear to be the SNP way.

*I'll guess one of either continuing to ban "vertical drinking" and ordering at the bar indoors (i.e. table service only), therefore maintaining a de facto level of social distancing, and capping football crowds at some arbitrary number below 100% capacity.

:whistle