Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Stage two of the iSage emotional appeal right there in that statement. 

"Look at this poor, vulnerable boy sharing his stoey about his worries and all these people are ATTACKING him! This is disgraceful!". 

They purposely brought in a child to further their own agenda, posting it on Twitter where scientists on both sides of this debate have been subject to all sorts of abuse. They have knowingly exposed a child to this environment and have almost certainly failed whatever safeguarding they are supposed to adhere to. 

Gutter level from an increasingly disingenous pressure group that has long since lost the argument. Personal anecodates are not quantifiable evidence. 

Greta Thunberg is no different - she is much a product of her middle class parents as those midfield class children on other protests.

You can be a product of your upbringing without necessarily being indoctrinated by your parents. Kids are obviously going to take a lot of their values from the people who raise them, but that's not really a bad thing as long as it doesn't go too far.

I grew up somewhat working class but couldn't describe myself as anything other than middle class now, and my wife and I are both lefty tree-hugging vegetarians. We'll let our daughter make her own choices on these things, but probably she'll end up having similar views. That's different to me, for example, setting up a Twitter account for her when she's 5, dragging her along to protests she doesn't understand or generally trying to make political capital out of her. However, if she's 13 or 14 and wants to take part in something like that I'd be more than happy to support her decisions.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You can be a product of your upbringing without necessarily being indoctrinated by your parents. Kids are obviously going to take a lot of their values from the people who raise them, but that's not really a bad thing as long as it doesn't go too far.

I grew up somewhat working class but couldn't describe myself as anything other than middle class now, and my wife and I are both lefty tree-hugging vegetarians. We'll let our daughter make her own choices on these things, but probably she'll end up having similar views. That's different to me, for example, setting up a Twitter account for her when she's 5, dragging her along to protests she doesn't understand or generally trying to make political capital out of her. However, if she's 13 or 14 and wants to take part in something like that I'd be more than happy to support her decisions.

Going to be great banter when your kid joins UKIP.

36 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Greta Thunberg is no different - she is as much a product of her middle class parents as those midfield class children on other protests.

You’ll never guess who gave this post a big thumbs up.

19 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Stage two of the iSage emotional appeal right there in that statement. 

"Look at this poor, vulnerable boy sharing his stoey about his worries and all these people are ATTACKING him! This is disgraceful!". 

They purposely brought in a child to further their own agenda, posting it on Twitter where scientists on both sides of this debate have been subject to all sorts of abuse. They have knowingly exposed a child to this environment and have almost certainly failed whatever safeguarding they are supposed to adhere to. 

Gutter level from an increasingly disingenous pressure group that has long since lost the argument. Personal anecodates are not quantifiable evidence. 

This seems a like victim blaming any one abusing a kid is a complete and utter wrongun. 

Yes indysage has been off the rails for a while now but no need for anyone to abuse people let alone kids, don't agree with it? Block/ Ignore/ Scroll Past.

7 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Masks until end of February 2022 and a possible lockdown in Winter. 

f**k off. 

5 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

See how well that goes when there is no money to pay the people having their livelihoods destroyed.  Absolute arsehole of a man.

He can hardly say "I guarantee there won't be a lockdown under any circumstances", can he?  If anyone in any country says something like that with any certainty then quite frankly they are lying. You are never going to get absolutism from politicians in what is still clearly at least a slightly fragile situation.

You’ll never guess who gave this post a big thumbs up.
Todd and I are on opposite sides of the climate debate.

However, I can see when a child is acting as a ventriloquist dummy for her parents' words.

Hyperbolic manipulative guilt-tripping of the worst kind.

What about the children instantly springs to mind.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

This seems a like victim blaming any one abusing a kid is a complete and utter wrongun. 

Yes indysage has been off the rails for a while now but no need for anyone to abuse people let alone kids, don't agree with it? Block/ Ignore/ Scroll Past.

They (iSage) willingly introduced a child into a debate that has seen people on both sides of the argument subject to abuse, threats and pile ons, tagging his bloody Twitter account* in the process. This is pretty basic stuff - the kid should never have been put in that position and the blame lies entirely with iSAGE. I don't know what their safeguarding policy is or if they even have one, but the kid should never have been put in that position. Adults shouldn't be facing abuse that they get either, but here we are. 

They knew this would happen but went ahead all the same. The utmost consideration should have been protecting the kid from harm and they haven't done it. None of this is the kid's fault but he's been well and truly exploited here and there has been a failure to properly protect him. 

Incidentally, the only abuse I can see is directed at iSage for using the kid for their own agenda and also several people pointing out the account was made when he was 4. 

*If indeed it is his account. 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

They (iSage) willingly introduced a child into a debate that has seen people on both sides of the argument subject to abuse, threats and pile ons, tagging his bloody Twitter account* in the process. This is pretty basic stuff - the kid should never have been put in that position and the blame lies entirely with iSAGE. I don't know what their safeguarding policy is or if they even have one, but the kid should never have been put in that position. Adults shouldn't be facing abuse that they get either, but here we are. 

They knew this would happen but went ahead all the same. The utmost consideration should have been protecting the kid from harm and they haven't done it. None of this is the kid's fault but he's been well and truly exploited here and there has been a failure to properly protect him. 

Incidentally, the only abuse I can see is directed at iSage for using the kid for their own agenda and also several people pointing out the account was made when he was 4. 

*If indeed it is his account. 

I think you have to be older than 13 to have a Twitter account so almost certainly not his. 

Yes indysage shouldn't have done it but the entirety of the blame doesn't lie anywhere.

Hopefully after their initial f**k up they are providing him with appropriate support.

50 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If you need to work for a living you’re working class.

13 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Physical distancing will remain in healthcare settings, despite Scotland's move beyond level zero on Monday.

Scotland's health secretary has confirmed that hospitals, doctors' surgeries and dentists will keep the 2m rule after the majority of coronavirus restrictions are eased.

Humza Yousaf said the situation would be reviewed at an unspecified time in the future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58130484

These measures sure have helped to prevent all those nosocomial infections these past 18 months!

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Who could possibly have foreseen any of this? 

Pathetic stuff by iSage, this is something you see all the time on social media, particularly Twitter. 

How many 'clinically vulnerable' kids have kicked the bucket with ole Covid?

36 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

See how well that goes when there is no money to pay the people having their livelihoods destroyed.  Absolute arsehole of a man.

Yeah, it won't be the utter clowns in the Scottish Government's decision to make, thankfully. The idea of restrictions being brought in for ANY reason this winter has to be nipped in the bud right now, or it sets a frightening precedent for every winter from now on when the inevitable annual NHS tears start.

14 minutes ago, 101 said:

I think you have to be older than 13 to have a Twitter account so almost certainly not his. 

Yes indysage shouldn't have done it but the entirety of the blame doesn't lie anywhere.

Hopefully after their initial f**k up they are providing him with appropriate support.

It was definitely his mum's at some point. I've seen some people set up Facebook accounts for their kids which I think is a bit weird, butI can almost understand it as some sort of photo/memory repository. A Twitter account, though? No idea why someone would do that as it's not really what the platform is for. 

Whether the account is now under his control or not, is anyone's guess. 

First and foremost, the child's welfare is the key concern and anything exposing them to harm is a no-no. It is more than regretable the abuse some people take online, but really that was a foreseeable outcome as the iSage account takes a bit of in amongst the blue heart supportive comments and the kid shouldn't have been put in that position. He'll have had no idea what was coming his way and he's been properly hung out to dry by them. As you say, hopefully the support is there for him, although I have my doubts. 

I really cannot believe they tagged the account in the tweet. 

16 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Meanwhile, 'public health' in action, courtesy of the UK's pointless, exploitative testing nonsense: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58129253

The horror! Not sure what you're suggesting here, that she shouldn't have been tested so she could have got on her plane full of Covid?

I've run out of knickers, so I've been washing them in the sink - sounds bad but I have no choice.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Campaigners like Greta Thunberg and Malala Yousafzai are obviously extremely knowledgeable and are valuable

This reminded me of when Zizek said he liked Greta Thunberg because she was perfectly demonstrating toxic masculinity.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

This is pretty basic stuff - the kid should never have been put in that position and the blame lies entirely with iSAGE. 

"Entirely"?  Seriously?

I do get the point you're making and I agree with its general direction.

I'd tend to reserve just a wee bit of blame for those directly subjecting the child to the abuse though.