Coronavirus (COVID-19)

20 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I’ve heard civil service have to go back to the minimum amount of people in the office for essential work only

That's what she has already asked everyone else to do so will be trying very hard not to make it look like one rule for her staff and another for everyone else. Quite rightly.

4 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Strong rumours that she'll announce schools will close from Friday.  

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Don’t know if you’re whooshing me but surely they would be closing on Friday for the Christmas break anyway? 

Not all of them. West Lothian are due to finish up next Wednesday.

From what I’m hearing from friends / colleagues in other authorities some schools have already had to send pupils home and go to distance  learning because they have so many staff absent through either self isolation or having to take time off to watch their kids who are self isolating.

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Not all of them. West Lothian are due to finish up next Wednesday.

From what I’m hearing from friends / colleagues in other authorities some schools have already had to send pupils home and go to distance  learning because they have so many staff absent through either self isolation or having to take time off to watch their kids who are self isolating.

Teachers’ unions calling for schools to shut early - shocker.

Schools closing early makes sense and would show that a lesson from last year has actually been learned after our favourite bald, speccy tube said they were safe, refused to close them early and then they didn't open again for a couple of months. 

Plus, if it's cases you're worried about, you need to hit the areas the numbers are high. 

The school Christmas holidays seem to be a lot shorter than they were when I was at school.

But yes, closing them early is a sensible policy. The final week is a waste of time watching Christmas films and playing games anyway. In fact I’d go a step further and advise parents not to send children to school tomorrow/Wednesday so that any child who has covid will be out of isolation before Christmas 

I think Sturgeon is going to do something big tomorrow unfortunately. I’ve heard civil service have to go back to the minimum amount of people in the office for essential work only. Could we be going back to level 0, the working from home message re-re-re enforced and maybe non essential offices to close again (they are allowed to open currently aren’t they?)
Regardless anything like level 0 will be with the caveat that it’s for 2 weeks only obviously, which will take us to May as is tradition.

It seems like any government or local authority run outfit is still operating under level zero anyway
I go to banatynes gym (to perv on ladies of a certain age obv [emoji6]) and apart from mask wearing in reception and corridors, it’s 100% back to normal, no distancing either in gym or changing rooms, no pre booked slots , no floor markers , you can sit in a steam room with 12 other ladies of a certain age like its 2019 if you want
Compare that to one of the council run facilities and it’s night and day, friends of mine use xcite in bathgate and it’s ; track & trace, book your time, you can have a rinse but not a shower ( whatever the f**k that means)

All the way through this the private sector (they have their own reasons obviously)has found a way of working through things and getting the most out of what is permitted wheras with the public sector it’s often just a straight “no”

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The school Christmas holidays seem to be a lot shorter than they were when I was at school.

Dunno what age you are but two weeks has pretty much been the standard since I started school in ‘87.

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

But yes, closing them early is a sensible policy. The final week is a waste of time watching Christmas films and playing games anyway. In fact I’d go a step further and advise parents not to send children to school tomorrow/Wednesday so that any child who has covid will be out of isolation before Christmas 

I don’t necessarily disagree, but I think it’s fairly obvious to acknowledge that for some parents schools are childcare first and educational facilities second. Closing them early means another few days of childcare for a lot of parents.

9 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Christmas holidays have always seemed short to me, even now in the world of work, despite them generally always being 2 weeks.

I guess it's a psychological thing where time seems to pass quicker when there's things to mark it out. In this case, Christmas and New Year.

13 minutes ago, Donathan said:

My kids are at school next Monday and Tuesday. The amount of work being done will be negligible so closing the schools for those two days wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But when you hear Jason Leitch talking about it, you'd think people were suggesting closing schools down again and going back to online only.

Only the bumscratchers at the EIS want that.

You fuckers better not go back to home office. It's hard enough trying to get a response from anyone working for a UK based bank at the best of times, but the last 18 months has seen that go to nigh on impossible.

7 minutes ago, Ross. said:

You fuckers better not go back to home office. It's hard enough trying to get a response from anyone working for a UK based bank at the best of times, but the last 18 months has seen that go to nigh on impossible.

You should have thought about that before agreeing to work for Nazi gold smugglers IMO. 

Edited by vikingTON

The rumour was circulating at work today and apparently some prelims are scheduled for next Monday here which is incredibly short sighted given the events of the last 18 months

17 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

According to the modelling, the UK will hit 1 million cases per day in 17 days time. 

Just waiting to see what it actually is.

If we had 10,000 cases on 8th December (according to Javid https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/08/omicron-cases-could-exceed-1m-by-month-end-sajid-javid) and doubling time is 2.5 days it would be quicker than that.

Christmas day would see 1.28m cases. 

ETA 29th Dec. if doubling time is 3 days.

Edited by Left Back