Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Where are the staff going to be conjured up from? The big problem is staff absence due to Covid, close contact, stress (little wonder) and other sickness

100% this the economy is going to be ruined by self isolation requirements. And with our woeful sick pay unfortunately people are going to be very hard up against it, hopefully in today's meeting the chancellor gets his cheque book out otherwise some folk are going to be in the complete shit.

My local foodbank is down to half its opening hours, such a depressing situation.

Just now, 101 said:

100% this the economy is going to be ruined by self isolation requirements. And with our woeful sick pay unfortunately people are going to be very hard up against it, hopefully in today's meeting the chancellor gets his cheque book out otherwise some folk are going to be in the complete shit.

My local foodbank is down to half its opening hours, such a depressing situation.

Getting the chequebook out isn't the answer. Scrapping the crazy isolation requirements for a cold and getting on with it is.

The isolation requirements in England are also different.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

If you believe the government line everyone who works in a supermarket should probably be infected by midweek but no one seems to have considered the implication of that at all. 

1 minute ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Jason Leitch saying ‘kids have missed out for 2 years’ on off the ball.

What about those who have struggled with mental health due to the SG’s behaviour in recent times?

What have they missed out on, exactly. School? Don't make me laugh.

They've been exempt from just about every measure throughout.

14 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I’ve not read all the thread but how useless is the track and trace system btw? Only one of my contacts was even phoned by them and this was several days later. Nobody else was even contacted, I also told them I’d been in work and they weren’t called either. My pal who had covid also listed me as a contact before all this and they didn’t get in touch with me. Total waste of time.

What did you expect from a mere ten times the annual budget of the international space station?

40 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Where’s the money coming from to impose a full lockdown again? Are you suggesting full lockdown like before, one trip out for exercise, deserted streets, deserted Braeheads, Silverburns and Livingston Outlet Malls? People crossing the road to avoid each other even though they are the only two people on the entire street?

There won't be a lockdown. Pointless restrictions certainly. And the restrictions will probably come in on the day Omicron cases peak, allowing SG to claim they've made a difference ( even thought it peaked anyway)

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Getting the chequebook out isn't the answer. Scrapping the crazy isolation requirements for a cold and getting on with it is.

The isolation requirements in England are also different.

I do think that's now the only alternative, not seen any real public or political will for that however post Omicron I think that serious conversation has to be had.

You can't test for flu at home and in a normal year it's about as bad as often worse than the last 2 winters. 

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

If you believe the government line everyone who works in a supermarket should probably be infected by midweek but no one seems to have considered the implication of that at all. 

Sadly folk will simply go hungry, especially those without any buying power.

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What have they missed out on, exactly. School? Don't make me laugh.

They've been exempt from just about every measure throughout.

Leitch is of course, wildly wrong to dismiss the struggles of everyone in this. The entire population (except those cheerleading more lockdowns, f**k them) but you cant say kids havent suffered. I feel more sorry for the young in this than I do for anyone else, and I mean from kids up to maybe mid 20s. At 36 year old, one year is much like the next. Thats not to say I havent hated all of this and am seething about it all, but if you are below 25, you are missing out on genuine milestone life event type shit, at a stage of life you genuinely only get once. 

Have been taking a few steps back regarding this ‘pandemic’ and trying to look at it through a new perspective.
Eventually, Alpha, Delta and Omnicron will blow themselves out but, as sure as night follows day a new variant of Covid will come along and we’ll be back to square one.
Maybe a better policy would be to ditch all restrictions, masks, etc. and just let it rip and put all our resources into the hospital sector.
We could construct military style field hospitals (Louisa Jordan)to house the badly affected, equipped with ventilators, drugs, everything necessary to support Covid patients where they would be kept well away from the regular hospitals. As time goes on, with more and more people fully vaccinated the need for these facilities should decrease and rather than  continually pushing the endgame further away down the road, we confront it full on. Okay, there will be deaths, as there are at present, but who’s to say that this may not be a bad plan. Already, I’ve heard Carl Heneghan and Karl Sikora suggesting that we move along these lines.
To continue as at present is madness as the public are increasingly just ignoring the ‘rules’ and realising that life is a lot more than mere survival but the joyous interaction of one human spirit with another and that being controlled by politicians and scientists is no way to live.
Im not bothered about myself as I’ve had a wonderful life but I am bothered about the young and middle aged who are being denied the fulfilment and happiness that should be there for them but is being wrongly withheld from them for no good reason.

Fulfilment and happiness in a country requiring battlefield style field hospitals to cope with Covid sufferers [emoji848]

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Leitch is of course, wildly wrong to dismiss the struggles of everyone in this. The entire population (except those cheerleading more lockdowns, f**k them) but you cant say kids havent suffered. I feel more sorry for the young in this than I do for anyone else, and I mean from kids up to maybe mid 20s. At 36 year old, one year is much like the next. Thats not to say I havent hated all of this and am seething about it all, but if you are below 25, you are missing out on genuine milestone life event type shit, at a stage of life you genuinely only get once. 

Exactly. 

Social bonds aren't just being broken but younger people aren't getting the chance to make the connections that last for a lifetime. 

Edited by Detournement

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Exactly. 

Social bonds aren't being broken but younger people aren't getting the chance to make the connections that laat for a lifetime. 

It honestly breaks my heart just thinking about taking any 2 year period where I was between the ages of 18 and 25, and effectively deleting it. Turning it from the stuff I did, the memories I have, into this fucking shitshow. And I never went to Uni or that so theres a whole lot more stuff available to miss out on apart from what I think of as being worthwhile. 

Edinburgh was busy as ever yesterday. Most people just don't care anymore. As for a pointless two-week (six-month) 'circuit breaker' (cringe), this would have to be the straw that breaks the camel's back. The peak will quite clearly be reached and start falling when it's already too late to delay. Frankly, the NHS will just have to deal with it - if the dung models even get remotely close, which is doubtful. Enough now.
You seem to live in a parallel universe to most pub, cafe and restaurant owners. Places are empty everywhere I'm looking. Whichever part of Edinburgh you were visiting must be an outlier as anywhere I have been this week has been more akin to January that the week before Christmas. People are staying home for sure when you see how quiet places are. The only busy place I saw this morning was Prestwick beach !!!

I've not been Leitch's biggest fan at all but I thought he was quite reasonable today. It was certainly a mile away from the panic that Sturgeon is trying to create.

What did he say? I’ve not been listening to him.

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Elixir said:
Edinburgh was busy as ever yesterday. Most people just don't care anymore. As for a pointless two-week (six-month) 'circuit breaker' (cringe), this would have to be the straw that breaks the camel's back. The peak will quite clearly be reached and start falling when it's already too late to delay. Frankly, the NHS will just have to deal with it - if the dung models even get remotely close, which is doubtful. Enough now.

You seem to live in a parallel universe to most pub, cafe and restaurant owners. Places are empty everywhere I'm looking. Whichever part of Edinburgh you were visiting must be an outlier as anywhere I have been this week has been more akin to January that the week before Christmas. People are staying home for sure when you see how quiet places are. The only busy place I saw this morning was Prestwick beach !!!

I’ve just walked down George Street in Edinburgh and most restaurants and bars looked very busy to me.

Outdoor áreas in particular absolutely heaving.

10 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Elixir said:

I was driving by Braehead on the M8 about an hour ago, normally there would be queued traffic on both slip roads leading into Braehead, not a sausage even the Mrs commented on the lack of traffic.