Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I'd imagine so.

I'll probably still look in though.

I can’t wait for you to eventually admit that you agree with the majority in this thread in essence, you’re just much more reasonable about it and something about right wing undertones.

Self-isolation in the bin from Thursday and free testing confirmed binned from end of next month in England. Also confirmed that the Coronavirus Act is being almost entirely removed. Fucking beautiful stuff.
That's pretty much what I took from his Parliament speech but he just quite clearly said at the press conference that they would be retaining "contingencies" to reintroduce measures should future variants prove to be worse than Omicron which seems totally at odds with what he announced a few hours before. I suspect that was probably a nod to Witty and Valance who really don't appear to be on the same page going by tonight.

Lassie on BBC news saying she’s been shielding for 2 years and not seen anyone.  She’s outraged the government is removing things like mask wearing, testing & isolation that keep her vulnerable relative safe.

Give me strength.  You chose not to go out when all those things were in place so what difference does it make to you now they’re being removed?

19 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Lassie on BBC news saying she’s been shielding for 2 years and not seen anyone.  She’s outraged the government is removing things like mask wearing, testing & isolation that keep her vulnerable relative safe.

Give me strength.  You chose not to go out when all those things were in place so what difference does it make to you now they’re being removed?

She needs to stay in until the airborne virus magically disappears forever. She was promised that by the zero Covid clowncar brigade - surely they weren't wrong all along? 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I can’t wait for you to eventually admit that you agree with the majority in this thread in essence, you’re just much more reasonable about it and something about right wing undertones.

Back at the start, 99% of folk were right behind all the crazy restrictions.

It’s a bit like the Iraq War where everyone now says they were always against it.

The fact is that 99% of posters on here supported the lunacy. I was one of the very few who was sceptical I’m glad to say. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

She needs to stay in until the airborne virus magically disappears forever. She was promised that by the zero Covid clowncar brigade - surely they weren't wrong all along? 

I don’t understand what these people expect to happen? It’s never going to go away, do they expect restrictions forever? 

42 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
Self-isolation in the bin from Thursday and free testing confirmed binned from end of next month in England. Also confirmed that the Coronavirus Act is being almost entirely removed. Fucking beautiful stuff.

That's pretty much what I took from his Parliament speech but he just quite clearly said at the press conference that they would be retaining "contingencies" to reintroduce measures should future variants prove to be worse than Omicron which seems totally at odds with what he announced a few hours before. I suspect that was probably a nod to Witty and Valance who really don't appear to be on the same page going by tonight.

It's quite interesting that the pair of them haven't been seen for weeks. Probably right given that we aren't in an emergency situation anymore, but interesting nonetheless. 

I don't expect them to agree with Johnson, in fairness. They are clinicians and will naturally oppose it. The trouble I have with that viewpoint is I'm not sure they will ever find a level they're comfortable with to remove the requirement. If we were to hold out for the full approval of the medical advisors, it will never change. 

And yes, of course it is a political decision. Contrary to rhe prevailing narrative that they are only political decisions when restrictions are removed, every decision is a political one. Lockdown was also a political decision, banning people from visiting their friends was a political decision, enforcing hotel quarantine on persons arriving from certain countries was a political decision and fining people £10k for holding a party was a political decision. 

Is it right there was never a legal requirement to isolate in Scotland unless you've travelled internationally? That seems weird, but then I never imagined we'd have politicians arguing about a substantial meal is or complaining about vertical drinking. I guess it gives the get out - moan about Johnson and do nothing, yet in effect the policy is the same (unless you've flown in from abroad). 

58 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

They'll have contingencies in the event of nuclear war as well. Doesn't mean covid restrictions are ever coming back when England done nothing this winter other than the token 'Plan B' for a few weeks, and mortality has been no different to a pre-pandemic winter. From this point on, covid will continue to fade from view and memory with each passing month.

36 minutes ago, Left Back said:

This pandemic has taught me one thing

Some people are only happy when others are miserable

I was one of many who binned their SNP membership after the Omicron fiasco. I thought maybe something would happen and I'd have been proven to have been too hasty.

Alas since then we've had them using money from the health budget to pay for restrictions and the whole "basic common sense" idea of chopping the bottoms off of doors. The continued use of the vaccine passport scheme despite even BST admitting there was no evidence they did anything for infection rates.

I'm fully prepared for us to have some of the toughest restrictions in Europe by the end of tomorrow.

Just tonight I saw another hospitality venue in Aberdeen announcing it was closing, maybe just temporary they said but they said that the hammer blow delt around Christmas by Scotgov was just too much for them and they hadn't fully recovered from it. There must be so many more businesses like that up and down the country.

Edited by NorthernLights

Aye. As others have said it’s common sense prioritisation of scarce resources. If you were in charge, would you:

A: Spend £200 million (TWO HUNDRED MILLION POUNDS) a month testing people for something that now has negligible impact on their longevity; or 

B: Offer up the same amount of money to the poorest (arbitrarily decided on my cutoff as half of the 2.4M Scottish households), or the equivalent to £167 per household per month to combat the rising fuel poverty and cost of living crisis? 

You now know they’re living detached from reality in their ivory towers.

But dem damn reckless toalies!! 

19 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Aye. As others have said it’s common sense prioritisation of scarce resources. If you were in charge, would you:

A: Spend £200 million (TWO HUNDRED MILLION POUNDS) a month testing people for something that now has negligible impact on their longevity; or 

B: Offer up the same amount of money to the poorest (arbitrarily decided on my cutoff as half of the 2.4M Scottish households), or the equivalent to £167 per household per month to combat the rising fuel poverty and cost of living crisis? 

SG don’t want to spend £200m of their own budget on testing.  They want UKG (i.e. mostly the English taxpayer) to fund it.

ETA they’ve painted themselves into a corner on this and will look stupid no matter which way they jump.  They’re also guaranteed to blame the Tories for whatever decision they eventually make though and claim they were forced into it.

Edited by Left Back

39 minutes ago, Left Back said:

SG don’t want to spend £200m of their own budget on testing.  They want UKG (i.e. mostly the English taxpayer) to fund it.

ETA they’ve painted themselves into a corner on this and will look stupid no matter which way they jump.  They’re also guaranteed to blame the Tories for whatever decision they eventually make though and claim they were forced into it.

I wouldn’t put it past them to cut the health budget elsewhere to fund it like with the Christmas ‘protections’ tbh.

Got to keep up the virtue signalling.

B is already happening albeit its £150 not £167 payable to approx 73% of households in Scotland.