Coronavirus (COVID-19)

56 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The benefit of vaccinating 5-11 year olds seem tiny. 

It's apparent the vaccines are not stopping transmission now. They are however very good at keeping people out of hospital and saving lives; they therefore are not going to do much in an age group that generally does not suffer from severe infections. For the clinically vulnerable in this age group it absolutely makes sense to vaccinate them, but for the others it seems a very marginal gain.

I'm only glad my daughter is not 5 until 2023 so I don't have to make a call on this. I am really not comfortable with giving her the vaccine (I myself am triple jagged) and she is far too young to understand this all. 

Aye our daughters 6 and she flat out refused the flu shot before Xmas at school, she had it year before without an issue but won’t be getting her the covid vaccine. Imo it’s done it’s job protecting the vulnerable and it should be kept that way.

50 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

I’m triple vaxxed and so is my wife. The vaccines are great, fully supportive of them.

I’m not getting my near 9 and near 5 year old vaccinated though. It’s just not necessary.

I'm similarly minded. My pair are a near 3yo & a 5yo. We're both triple vaccinated as well.

With the JCVI telling us for the last 14 months that kids don't need to be vaccinated and the benefits are marginal at best. I'd rather we gave our excess doses to countries who haven't vaccinated their vulnerable tbh.

I will read what they send out about vacinnes. I hope it's more than an A5 flier with 'get you kids vacinnated' in capitals in a bold font. 

16 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
51 minutes ago, Lurkst said:
Delighted with today's news only because we can now get our 11 year old fully vaxxed before travelling abroad in the summer.

Why?

She turns 12 just before the holidays and would therefore be treated as an unvaccinated adult in many European countries. 

16 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
51 minutes ago, Lurkst said:
Delighted with today's news only because we can now get our 11 year old fully vaxxed before travelling abroad in the summer.

Why?

Depending on where he wants to go, unvaccinated kids might be problematic.

If the child will be 12 before travelling, some countries will demand quarantine on arrival. 

I had my 5 year old vaccinated 2 weeks ago. She was fine. I have my reasons getting for her getting it but mostly due to my illness.

Her class is currently off with covid and she is one of the only ones not to have it (so far). 

Edited by Honest Saints Fan

58 minutes ago, Michael W said:

If the child will be 12 before travelling, some countries will demand quarantine on arrival.

Wouldn't be surprised to see most of this gubbins flung on the bonfire around Easter time, tbh. That's Switzerland already joining Norway in announcing quarantine and test-free travel even for the unvaxxed, with no pointless contact tracing forms either. The first Med country to do this will lead to the rest following suit quicker than a tramp on chips.

Sky News were also saying the UK passenger locator form could be in the bin following Johnson's speech on Monday. Obviously we'll probably get our own new Scottish version from Queen Nicola, but still.

Edited by Elixir

Decided to email my MSP (something I never thought I would do) calling for the Scottish Government to get rid of face masks and vaccine passports as there is absolutely no need for them anymore and hasn't been for a long time. I would encourage anyone else unhappy to do the same.

Absolutely fed up of it all.

8 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

Decided to email my MSP (something I never thought I would do) calling for the Scottish Government to get rid of face masks and vaccine passports as there is absolutely no need for them anymore and hasn't been for a long time. I would encourage anyone else unhappy to do the same.

Absolutely fed up of it all.

If it's an SNP MSP you'll get a stock response. Same as I got form my MP and MSP when I wrote to them. Made me feel better that I actually complained but still think I was wasting my time.

10 hours ago, Michael W said:

Why are the government suggesting vaccinating all school age kids? I’m assuming it isn’t just so they can go on holiday. 

As someone with kids who have all had it and have all had very mild symptoms, I’m wondering why they need vaccinated. Being vaccinated hasn’t prevented any adults I know catching Covid.

Edited by Scary Bear

9 hours ago, Elixir said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see most of this gubbins flung on the bonfire around Easter time, tbh. That's Switzerland already joining Norway in announcing quarantine and test-free travel even for the unvaxxed, with no pointless contact tracing forms either. The first Med country to do this will lead to the rest following suit quicker than a tramp on chips.

Sky News were also saying the UK passenger locator form could be in the bin following Johnson's speech on Monday. Obviously we'll probably get our own new Scottish version from Queen Nicola, but still.

Yeah, I've been wondering about when this goes or is at least relaxed significantly. I saw Spain suddenly drop requirements on under 15s, presumably in an effort to shore up the UK February holiday market. 

I'm going to Malta on Monday and think their restrictions are on the harsher side as it stands, at least in respectof children. No tests for entry which is good (only if you're boostered or had the second does less than 4 months ago) but children between 5-11 need a test if not vaccinated. Over 12 and unvaccinated and its 10 days quarantine at €100 a day per room. 

They unfortunately have a right hard on for masks, although they relented on wearing them outside a bit (but only if you've had the booster!) or I'd have cancelled. 

33 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Why are the government suggesting vaccinating all school age kids? I’m assuming it isn’t just so they can go on holiday. 

As someone with kids who have all had it and have all had very mild symptoms, I’m wondering why they need vaccinated. Being vaccinated hasn’t prevented any adults I know catching Covid.

The part about them being able to go on holiday was pretty cynically what I thought. For some countries it's going to cause real problems, that's just the way it is at the momwnt. 

They've previously said that the benefit of vaccination to this group wasn't justified when considering the (tiny) risks of vaccination. I'd be interested to see what's changed their minds here.