Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, ayrmad said:
The public are more at fault than you seem to accept, this country is full of gobshites that moan about how the Amazon's of this world treat their employees whilst using said companies to save a quid. 

Aye theres a bit of that, it still all has to come down from the top though in terms of changing it.

There's not a bit of that, the country is rife with it. 

Coronavirus betting tip of the day, sponsored by the vodka and sauna producers of Belarus:

Energetik - BGU to win away to Torpedo Zhodino, 11/5 with McBookies.
I'll make a video call to big Alski shortly.
Get his thoughts on the game.
Dont want to interrupt him while hes in the massage parlour.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's a bit more nuanced than that. Amazon like any would be monopolist is deliberately wrecking smaller competitors through stuff like waving through hoards of counterfeit goods & making a profit through acting as a selling agent rather than handling the goods themselve or using the big profits from AWS to subsidise prices on the goods they do physically hold, which competitors can't match etc. Compared to 15 years ago it's just harder to buy conscientiously even for folk who are really into doing so. It's not the fault of the public other than they (the English) repeatedly vote in people who aren't interested in doing much proactive on anti-trust.

Amazon was just an example, it happens all the way down the chain, we all do it at some level, I for one will be returning to buying all my fresh food from local suppliers with provenance after this, more laziness than saving cash for me but it really isn't great for your local community. 

7 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's a bit more nuanced than that. Amazon like any would be monopolist is deliberately wrecking smaller competitors through stuff like waving through hoards of counterfeit goods & making a profit through acting as a selling agent rather than handling the goods themselve or using the big profits from AWS to subsidise prices on the goods they do physically hold, which competitors can't match etc. Compared to 15 years ago it's just harder to buy conscientiously even for folk who are really into doing so. It's not the fault of the public other than they (the English) repeatedly vote in people who aren't interested in doing much proactive on anti-trust.

Amazon aren't all bad, they provide a platform for thousands of businesses to set up as retailers with next to no capital.

22 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

A useful video of the timeline of Covid response by the government.

Still the same faces feeding us their version of what's unfolding. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

It's rightfully mainly about capacity, the only thing the conspiracy troll Jerome was right about was that we wouldn't shut down nearly the entire economy in a bad flu year which have killed more than hopefully we'll see with Covid19. The frightening thing about this one is the thought of being left alone to die, desperate trying to suck in air with fucked lungs, because there are no beds, staff or equipment left to give you oxygen and a decent dose of morphine to see you off.

Well that's me cheered the f**k up

☹️🤛

Was just checking out todays position in Belgium.  The lockdown rules are very similar to here. Look at the fines compared to our pesky £30 fixed penalties. May be the way.

The measures only allow people to leave their homes only for buying food and medicine, visiting a doctor, helping someone in need or going to work -- unless home office is an option for them.

Only supermarkets and pharmacies can stay open, while snack bars and restaurants are just allowed to offer food for take-away.

People are allowed to take a walk outside with their family members from the same household, but they are required to keep 1.5-meter distance from others.

A Brussels court sentenced on Friday a 23-year old man to community service after he broke the lockdown measures three times. It was the first court decision penalizing the breach of social distancing principles.

If caught by the police, adults need to pay €250 ($274) fine for the first time, and €350 ($383) for the second.

According to the police, the vast majority of citizens respect the rules.

3 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Was just checking out todays position in Belgium.  The lockdown rules are very similar to here. Look at the fines compared to our pesky £30 fixed penalties. May be the way.

The measures only allow people to leave their homes only for buying food and medicine, visiting a doctor, helping someone in need or going to work -- unless home office is an option for them.

Only supermarkets and pharmacies can stay open, while snack bars and restaurants are just allowed to offer food for take-away.

People are allowed to take a walk outside with their family members from the same household, but they are required to keep 1.5-meter distance from others.

A Brussels court sentenced on Friday a 23-year old man to community service after he broke the lockdown measures three times. It was the first court decision penalizing the breach of social distancing principles.

If caught by the police, adults need to pay €250 ($274) fine for the first time, and €350 ($383) for the second.

I think the vast majority of Scotlands citizens respect the rules, if you just see a couple of incidences repeated on your Facebook or TV highlighting a few infractions you might think otherwise but they aren't the norm IMO. 

7 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Not too many (An)twerps.

9 minutes ago, superbigal said:

All I can say is at least here in Gent there does not feel like there is any enforcement whatsoever of the rules.

Yet in Brussels the police seem to be abusing there power from what I have read. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a racial element to it.

I know theres probably nothing that will change for a few days but the daily death toll in the UK is terrible. The media looked at italy and covered it saying it was a disaster yet when it happens here they dont question the government and seem more interested in boris.
The decisions to allow mass gatherings and half arsed rules have cost us big time.
Not to mention lack of ppe and testing.
I haven't seen one journalist ask a difficult question.

I think the vast majority of Scotlands citizens respect the rules, if you just see a couple of incidences repeated on your Facebook or TV highlighting a few infractions you might think otherwise but they aren't the norm IMO. 

The majority of people are sticking by the rules but the minority of those who arent is far larger than you appear to believe.

3 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

yeah - but...

this thread down to fourth at the time of posting - never seen it so low - surely must mean something - can we have a graph ?

image.png.64489968cd72702977196d651d674b0e.png

If that is how you feel then don't expect me to give any car advice!

4 hours ago, expatowner said:

New Zealand is now up to 4 deaths. For a population of 4.5 million.
Two seventy year olds, one eighty year old and a ninety year old. Three of them had underlying health issues.

Danger of complacency there.  Their death rate could easily double.

The majority of people are sticking by the rules but the minority of those who arent is far larger than you appear to believe.
What's your source for this? Not saying you are wrong but I think it's a tough thing to quantify.

I have seen very little in the way of rule breaking. I have only seen one group of 4 or five similar aged guys walking about together that I would have assumed werent of the same household.

There must be data on this, since as I said lastnight, Mrs B was told in an NHS meeting that Forth Valley was considered to be observing the rules well compared to other areas. I havent seen any though.