Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Boris is off to Chequers to recuperate.

Great news.

Surely that's a second home and not a necessary journey?

Asking for a Ms Calderwood.

Edited by Jacksgranda

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Everybody has the answers now, but as you say, did they have the answers then?

It was pretty much bang on 4 weeks ago that folk were being told not to go to pubs, not to go to clubs, not to gather in large groups. Needless to say large swathes of the population just ignored the f**k out of that.

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

It was pretty much bang on 4 weeks ago that folk were being told not to go to pubs, not to go to clubs, not to gather in large groups. Needless to say large swathes of the population just ignored the f**k out of that.

We did however allow Cheltenham and other events to go ahead despite that. 

I’ve given up watch the news.
The MSM are not great at best of times but have sunk to a new low during this crisis with their lack of scrutiny.
As other have said a couple of weeks ago Italy and France were being portrayed as disaster areas yet the equivalent death rate in the UK is being reported completely differently.
ETA also how the government is getting away with the same bullshit about PPE and ventilators every day virtually unchallenged is appalling.

It’s embarrassing

Even by their own ridiculously low standards they have really outdone themselves

47 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Thanks for the link. 

6.8% of German spending is by the govt compared to 79% on the uk. The balance is pretty much insurance.

29% of German spending is on hospitals compared to 42% of the UKs. 

The overall difference could be easily accounted for by Germans paying insurers dividends and using proportionally more higher margin discretionary services. Might not be though, maybe they just provide more through community channels and maybe private provision is more efficient. 

Given the difficulties in compiling any economic measure i'm inclined to think that the headline difference of 13% doesn't show a significant difference in healthcare provision, and that consequently it is more likely that it's testing levels that are making the most difference. 

Testing makes a huge difference.  However, the rest of your statement is obfuscation.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Out on Easter Sunday. I never saw that one coming.

He's speaking remarkably well, must have put him at an open window. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Mastermind said:

A sad day indeed for those Nats that wanted him dead. 

Dead or in hiding, either way he's disappeared off the scene again while the going is at its toughest....almost certainly to miraculously appear again in a few weeks when restrictions are beginning to be lifted.

The UK is well on the way to having the worst infection and death rates in Europe, and the scrutiny of the government is non-existent (the suspicious would say it's been deliberately planned this way).

The PM is missing in action, parliament isn't sitting, and 80% of the media are more concerned with the normal right wing tropes of Brexit, hating the EU, criticising the Labour party and having a dig at Liberals, rather than doing what they should be doing......which is asking why the f**k the UK's government was so lazy, lax and incompetent by not taking strict, serious measures more than 4 weeks ago. 

Other countries in Europe who acted decisively are beginning to move out of lockdown, while the pandemic in the UK is yet to peak.....all due to the mumbleclown in Number 10 (or Chequers, or the Caribbean, or wherever he is), and his unwillingness to handle this head on over a month ago. 

48 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's because you are confusing positive thinking with mindless happy clapping and thinking they are the same.

Positive thinking is about having the ability to look for and spot the nuggets of gold in a field of shite. These people tend to be more resilient and tend to be more content in life.

The alternative is to see nothing but the shite. You can kid yourself on that you are a realist for having this outlook but that is a fucking miserable way to live your life.

Aye mate you're right actually. If I can't take the positives out of 1,000 folk a day dying in the UK, being unable to see any of my pals or family, mates getting laid off and every other person in my block of flats being unable to leave the building then my way of living must be pretty miserable!

Edited by Marshmallo