Coronavirus (COVID-19)

What's been ticking around my head is this.  Johnson goes into hospital, and is given some oxygen. He then goes into intensive care.   3 days later he's up and out the door.
I seem to recall that the death rate of those going into ICU with coronavirus is said to be about 50%..    Given that a stated aim of the actions of government is to prevent
the NHS 'from being overwhelmed', surely there is some kind of  deduction in there  that...
1.   If the ICU death rate from coronavisrus is said to be around 50%, then  a huge number of them must have been more or less at half dead by the time they entered hospital..
2. and following from that,  how culpable is NHS 111,  and local medics,   in not visiting, or refusing to admit people until they are in effect beyond saving ?

Local medics arent refusing to visit, there are covid hubs specifically to deal with patients.

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A New York City hospital tested all pregnant women admitted for birth over the recent period - 13% tested positive for the virus, with 87% of those positive cases having no symptoms.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2009316

Small sample but interesting.

The cynic in me says it doesn't add up, but it does.

9 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

The cynic in me says it doesn't add up, but it does.

I don't like it, but I'll have to go along with it.

Seen a tweet on that hospital survey in New York, apparently those hospitals are very common places for births in the orthodox Jewish community, who have been hit harder by the virus than average. This could skew the figures.

We went over this two or three weeks ago, so I'm loathe to repeat myself, but there's extra risk in the event of a breakdown / accident, for one example.
Besides which, it's clearly not minimising time spent outside of the home if one person goes along for a recreational drive.
The breakdown/accident stuff is probably secondary. Real issue is that no matter how scrupulous @GrannyDanger is with his social distancing in the supermarket, there's a chance he gets contaminated, which he can then pass on to Old Mother Danger in the car. If he goes alone he can thoroughly wash on returning to Danger Towers, reducing the risk of secondary contamination. Like all of this stuff, its marginal risk reduction which adds up at a population level.

3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

For the rest of the lockdown I will be red dotting this shit of if this marshmallow chap.

I am that petty and I have nothing better to do.

He red dots any posts which hint at positivity.

It must be quite sad living such a negativity filled life.

Forget the government, wee Jock McTavish going for a bike ride is real reason for the surge of coronavirus.
Media gaslighting at its best.
You do know that's Private Eye, yes?

In fairness, one of the hardest careers to work in these days must be satire.

9 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Apolgies if this has been answered elsewhere

If our weekend death numbers are wrong as the people responsible for collating the info don't work weekends, where do the figures we do get come from?

It's all down to when the death is officially registered from what I gather.

We are now open 7 days in s Scotland but that doesn't mean folk will automatically rush down to have it registered and I'd imagine they might have been closed for the bank holiday ?

9 hours ago, beefybake said:

What's been ticking around my head is this.  Johnson goes into hospital, and is given some oxygen. He then goes into intensive care.   3 days later he's up and out the door.

I seem to recall that the death rate of those going into ICU with coronavirus is said to be about 50%..    Given that a stated aim of the actions of government is to prevent

the NHS 'from being overwhelmed', surely there is some kind of  deduction in there  that...

1.   If the ICU death rate from coronavisrus is said to be around 50%, then  a huge number of them must have been more or less at half dead by the time they entered hospital..

2. and following from that,  how culpable is NHS 111,  and local medics,   in not visiting, or refusing to admit people until they are in effect beyond saving ?

Johnson is probably a poor example as they admitted that he didn't really need icu but he was put there as a "precaution". 

Would this be the case for any of us ?

No, it certainly wouldn't.