Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

80% of GDP is debt. 

I think you mean debt is equivalent to 80% of GDP - not the same thing. But that would only be government debt (about 85%). Private debt is about 225% of GDP.

Edited by bendan

19 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

They could invest in themselves and get more qualifications and a better job?
I agree with what you're saying but if you look at the average person in lots of debt who works then I would bet that they have lots of things they dont need or really can afford.
Average debt in 1990 was about 2k. Now its 15k despite no real wage increases.
People end up trapped in debt and it's not a good thing. Employers can treat people like shit because they know they're desperate. It's a society based on people buying shit they dont need.
As I said it's almost considered good or normal now to exist like this until the interest rates go up and everyone is fucked.
80% of GDP is debt. The country is ruined economically.

You're back in walloper territory today.

23 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

They could invest in themselves and get more qualifications and a better job?
I agree with what you're saying but if you look at the average person in lots of debt who works then I would bet that they have lots of things they dont need or really can afford.
Average debt in 1990 was about 2k. Now its 15k despite no real wage increases.
People end up trapped in debt and it's not a good thing. Employers can treat people like shit because they know they're desperate. It's a society based on people buying shit they dont need.
As I said it's almost considered good or normal now to exist like this until the interest rates go up and everyone is fucked.
80% of GDP is debt. The country is ruined economically.

Go and self-isolate from the internet for a couple of weeks. Jesus f**k. 

How dare poor people try to enjoy themselves and spend whatever money they dont have on frivolous items in an attempt to make their lives a bit more bearable for a nanosecond. 

They should be spending it all on getting a job or better qualifications so they can then spend whatever money they dont have on frivolous items in an attempt to make their lives a bit more bearable for a nanosecond. 

No offence but I don't think you understand what this means.
It means that house prices increased to allow banks to fleece people and get into debt and created an economy that was built on sand through low interest rates and daft mortgages that people would never pay off.
There is government borrowing and personal borrowing both are totally out of control. The uk and the west dont really produce anything yet seem at face value well off. Going way off topic here but I was called out as a hater earlier.

I get that people struggle and I struggled badly but lived really carefully for years and saved and worked really hard. This was before the crash and was lucky to be able to buy and sell stuff for extra income.
My point, if a little heartless, is that we kind of live with our heads buried pretending that this consumerist selfish lifestyle is ok because interest rates are low.
Years ago people just accepted having old bangers, luxury or designer clothes were a one off, maybe one holiday a year. Now it's all fake shallow instagram type lifestyles despite earning the same or less than we did back then. Weve swallowed all this consumer spend spend spend bullshit then wonder why we're all skint. I include myself in this, I buy loads of crap.
New phone, new car, smart watch, music, designer clothes, I get bombarded with about 40 emails a day with sale offers or discounts. It's all not necessary.
Maybe in a crisis people will change and realise it's not sustainable?
No offence to anyone, hope this doesnt annoy.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

It means that house prices increased to allow banks to fleece people and get into debt and created an economy that was built on sand through low interest rates and daft mortgages that people would never pay off.
There is government borrowing and personal borrowing both are totally out of control. The uk and the west dont really produce anything yet seem at face value well off. Going way off topic here but I was called out as a hater earlier.

I get that people struggle and I struggled badly but lived really carefully for years and saved and worked really hard. This was before the crash and was lucky to be able to buy and sell stuff for extra income.
My point, if a little heartless, is that we kind of live with our heads buried pretending that this consumerist selfish lifestyle is ok because interest rates are low.
Years ago people just accepted having old bangers, luxury or designer clothes were a one off, maybe one holiday a year. Now it's all fake shallow instagram type lifestyles despite earning the same or less than we did back then. Weve swallowed all this consumer spend spend spend bullshit then wonder why we're all skint. I include myself in this, I buy loads of crap.
New phone, new car, smart watch, music, designer clothes, I get bombarded with about 40 emails a day with sale offers or discounts. It's all not necessary.

Maybe an idea to not sign up for the emails in the first place then?

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Just stop digging. You haven't got a clue what you're talking about and you're just embarrassing yourself and making yourself look stupid.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Guess I was wrong in thinking Methil was the biggest arsehole in Fife.