Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Was speaking to the medic at my work today (North Sea oil platform), who’s informed me that the current plan if anyone is suspected of carrying the virus is we go into complete lockdown. Onshore have mobilised a crisis team incase any of the installations are affected, who’ve simulated the scenarios modelled on infection rates etc. They’re saying it could take up to 90 days from first case for the platform to be clear! Nobody on or off unless they’re condition becomes critical, at which point it’ll be the coastguard or airforce that comes to collect said casualty.
I can’t even begin to explain how furious I’d be in those circumstances. Saying that, if it happened on my next leave, I’d be fucking delighted.

It begins...

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/north-sea/227783/breaking-equinor-confirms-coronavirus-case-on-north-sea-platform/

21 hours ago, Worktheshaft said:

Offices are horrendous clatty places. Folk in when ill caughing and sneezing all over shared desks.

My work are terrible for this but promote working when sick. I have the facility to work from home and occasionally do, but the last time I phoned my boss and said I was ill and asked to work from home that day I was told no, if you're sick you shouldn't be working.

There are very fine sick day margins so it's really detrimental to have 3 or more absences in an 18 month period without disciplinary action and subsequently a shiter pay review, so I came to work ill that day.

Wonder how they'll react to sickness in the next few weeks?

18 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Buy a house or car they cant afford, quite a few I would imagine.
I certainly know a few people who claim to be skint but drive a newer car than me or go on several holidays a year.
These people dont plan for anything and if asked to take a week unpaid would ruin them.
Imo they're the idiots.
For what it's worth I actually helped out at a food bank last year.

Why do you hate people who have a newer car than you or go on holidays?

Shite just got real here.  just picked up the boy from school and he has a letter saying that his end of year school dance/festival is going ahead (next Wednesday), however, no guest (family) allowed to attend.  If a parent or friend of a student appears during the day all celebrations will be stopped until they leave. 

I love these days, free food from 8am to 3pm and a good look  laugh with the yummy mummies. I hate this world we live in now.

8 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Shoulda just hired a car in LA and driven through to vegas, few hours, probably quicker than driving to LAX from the resort areas like North Hollywood, going through security/delays etc. You’d easily get a decent wee convertible and the drive is awesome. Southwest are a good airline though.

Update - we were actually able to cancel our two-night stay at our original LA hotel with no cost, so just booked an overnight stay at an LAX airport hotel with the Southwest flight the following morning. There’s a free hotel shuttle to and from the airport. This gives us more time in Vegas. We actually did look at car hire and could have got a one-way hire with Hertz, in a mid-sized SUV for £28... no doubt then there’s the add-ons you need. Anyway, as we were in LA relatively recently, not bothered about missing a wee bit of sight seeing there, rather have the extra day in Vegas. Haven’t been there for six years now. A bit of re-arranging, and a couple of hours on the internet, and everything sorted out. I actually stopped to think just how easy it actually was to sort the elements out - using an iPad and the worldwide interweb thingy.... you take it for granted.

Edited by pozbaird

Why do you hate people who have a newer car than you or go on holidays?

I don't, the argument was about why people would have to go to work of it got bad. I suggested that if people were a bit more careful with their money then maybe a week off wouldn't be so bad. It seems that spending money you don't have is some sort of economy boosting act.
Getting a car on tick that will be repossessed isn't really something I'm jealous of.
If people want to live out with their means then fair play. I dont hate anyone.

Seven cases confirmed in Ninewells apparently. 

Aviva in Perth are splitting teams up, they have to use seperate doors to enter the building. They're being housed on different floors and they're not allowed to car share either. They want to have a contingency plan in place so they always have sufficient teams to deal with claims/calls if someone goes down with it. 

Absolute lunatics. 

5 minutes ago, Dele said:

Aviva in Perth are splitting teams up, they have to use seperate doors to enter the building. They're being housed on different floors and they're not allowed to car share either. They want to have a contingency plan in place so they always have sufficient teams to deal with claims/calls if someone goes down with it. 

Absolute lunatics. 

Working away this week and 2 just sent home. Shit just got real.

13 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I don't, the argument was about why people would have to go to work of it got bad. I suggested that if people were a bit more careful with their money then maybe a week off wouldn't be so bad. It seems that spending money you don't have is some sort of economy boosting act.
Getting a car on tick that will be repossessed isn't really something I'm jealous of.
If people want to live out with their means then fair play. I dont hate anyone.

How do you get a car on tick? Do you mean through a finance agreement?

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How do you get a car on tick? Do you mean through a finance agreement?

You mean you've never gone into a showroom, told the salesman you'll pay him later and driven off with nothing other than a note written down in his wee blue book of tick and a promise to pay at a later date? 

24 minutes ago, Dele said:

Absolute lunatics. 

Interesting... They may want to tell the staff that work there this because there has still been car sharing, teams haven't been split up, and there is only 4 doors (not including fire exits) in and out of the building and they were all being used....

Pretty sure you have just made this up

I don't want to drag this off topic again. It seems like its socially acceptable even after a banking crisis to have thousands of pounds of debt and live day by day.
No problem with that but when times get tough someone has to pay it back.
The economy cant exist on nothing.

1 minute ago, bendan said:

I permanently work from home - spend the day jumping back and forth between work and the interweb and end up struggling on with work until 9pm.

We know. We just look at your avatar pic to see you in action. 🙂

1 minute ago, bendan said:

I permanently work from home - spend the day jumping back and forth between work and the interweb and end up struggling on with work until 9pm.

I work at home - online teaching (it's a kind of work, honestly) and I spend all my time on the internet whilst 'working' - in fact I'm writing this during a lesson.  

34 minutes ago, Dele said:

Absolute lunatics. 

Why would you describe a company following a contingency plan to give them more chance to keep operating as "absolute lunatics"?

Edited by Marshmallo

9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I work at home - online teaching (it's a kind of work, honestly) and I spend all my time on the internet whilst 'working' - in fact I'm writing this during a lesson.  

How does one get themselves such a dream job?

In other news, the local supermarkets toilet paper shelves are still empty as are the pasta shelves. When will this madness end?