Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Worktheshaft said:
11 minutes ago, Gaz said:
Joe Rogan is an absolute bellend.

I concur.

I mean, a lot of stuff he talks about I can agree with, but he just comes across as a huge tool on too many ocassions.

I remember this thread was just a few expats in South East Asia having a morning chat over coffee. 

Look at it now. default_laugh.png

[mention=40427]Tight John McVeigh is a tit[/mention] hope your ok.

Surviving, on ‘home quarantine’ just now. Touch of the flu (Corona lite with a twist of lime). Company split departments and have put a hold on all travel (so I am idle for a while) and the company have our first Coronavirus casualty, in Sweden.

So things quiet. Our backward little region seem to have this under some control compared to Europe. We have a small number of increases daily, most related to a private function a few weeks so. The government have slated the organisers. Your masks for bats on Thailand worked a treat, only uncertainty is Indonesia as that is just recently kicked off there.

All becomes insignificant compared to what’s going on in the west.

Seems we (the region) will become the tournament also rans again. The usual, when we play amongst ourselves we look good and feel confident, but when we reach the global stage and come up against bigger teams we are soundly beaten. Clearly none of us will make the World Cup 32 when it is finally drawn. It is becoming the usual suspects when we get to the later stages, France, Germany and Spain with of course Italy being Italy. Slow burners in the group stages, reach the quarters and they are strutting about like peacocks. China with home advantage are the tournaments great, they have most likely done enough to win it, but have ran completely out of steam. Like the striker who is sitting on 99 goals and hits a drought, China is dragging its self to a PB of 100k.

As said before the financial and political fallout is what we need to be worried about and try and contain this, rather that the illness itself.

I heard BJ in the UK suggesting it may just be best to let it run its course. The impact on the NHS and SME’s would be absolutely huge.

22 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I was amazed the other week to see that only four cases had been reported in Indonesia, compared to about 250 odd in the much, much smaller Singapore. Seemed like someone in Indonesia was likely hiding things. Not sure why they would, though.

If you don't test people you don't get cases.

We already have our flight booked to Los Angeles to pick up the cruise, and our flight home from Vancouver following it. Also a couple of nights in LA and Vancouver hotels. We haven’t changed them, just cancelled the cruise. So, we looked for something land-based to fill in the gap between LA and Vancouver to simply replace the cruise. Got Southwest flights to Vegas from LAX for $45 each, and Westjet flights from Vegas to Vancouver. A doddle to book a Vegas hotel, so fingers crossed nothing else of a major disaster nature happens between now and May - leprosy, a plague of locusts, St Mirren renewing Tony Andreu’s contract.

Shoulda just hired a car in LA and driven through to vegas, few hours, probably quicker than driving to LAX from the resort areas like North Hollywood, going through security/delays etc. You’d easily get a decent wee convertible and the drive is awesome. Southwest are a good airline though.

I was amazed the other week to see that only four cases had been reported in Indonesia, compared to about 250 odd in the much, much smaller Singapore. Seemed like someone in Indonesia was likely hiding things. Not sure why they would, though.

As mentioned before, there are factors that could have delayed any major outbreak in Indonesia and as Slippery P said, testing counts a lot (or doesn’t).

I would expect the numbers to start rapidly increasing now it has a foothold in Jakarta, but again, with limited testing hard to say what the real figure will be. The big test for Indonesia (and most of the muslim world) will be Eid al-Fitr in May. That is when the most travel will happen (consider the impact of the Lunar New Year in China and the subsequent spread), combined with the family gatherings could see it explode if it is not controlled by then.

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

If you go back a page, someone posted a link of him discussing the virus with an expert.

ETA: Has the media interviewed anyone that's fully recovered yet?

Someone was on Jeremy Vine radio show yesterday.

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Nadine Dorries, Conservative MP and health minister, has been diagnosed with Covid-19.

The shocking thing being that she is actually in any type of job, let alone health minister.

Guest JTS98
11 hours ago, Fratelli said:

A pal of mine who's working on some sort of government-involved project management contract was briefed today that they expect it to take 16 weeks for things to go back to normal. Not sure what that's based on and it seems a bit excessive but i'd assume it's just worst case scenario stuff. Either way, if things are worrying just now f**k knows how bad it'll be in 3 months. 

Straits Times had a video thing up yesterday with some virus type doctor saying it's probably got the best part of a year to go till things properly die down. Heard this from a few different experts now.

7 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Combination of less-than-stellar people running the healthcare system and a likely government-led desire to protect tourism. Malaysia's hotels are more or less empty at the moment. Costing the industry a fortune and lots of places will go bust and people will lose jobs. Literally hundreds of thousands of cancellations since the start of February, and that's with a low official case count. 

I'd imagine Indonesia is trying to avoid this. How successfully, I have no idea.