Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Apparently someone at my work is 'claiming' they have it. 
Management seem to think she's at it
Bit of a risky PR strategy in the current climate if they put pressure on her to continue as normal and she's actually got it.

Just now, H Wragg said:
23 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:
Apparently someone at my work is 'claiming' they have it. 
Management seem to think she's at it

Bit of a risky PR strategy in the current climate if they put pressure on her to continue as normal and she's actually got it.

Yeah that's what i'm thinking. Bold move

Guest JTS98
17 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I work at home - online teaching (it's a kind of work, honestly) and I spend all my time on the internet whilst 'working' - in fact I'm writing this during a lesson.  

Wise of you to allow space to develop learner autonomy.

4 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

How does one get themselves such a dream job?

In other news, the local supermarkets toilet paper shelves are still empty as are the pasta shelves. When will this madness end?

Where I am, the shelves are often bare so we won't notice any difference  if and when the lurgy strikes. 

Guest JTS98
6 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

In other news, the local supermarkets toilet paper shelves are still empty as are the pasta shelves. When will this madness end?

I've found this side of it interesting to compare my experience of things in Malaysia with the western reaction.

It's actually the opposite of what I'd expected. I've lived in Asia for pushing a decade now and I don't think it's unkind to suggest that Asians can be a hysterical lot in the face of any kind of public fuss.

Yet there's been no such nonsense here. My local supermarkets, and the big ones in the main malls, are all perfectly well-stocked, nobody is running around with trolleys full of pasta or noodles or bog roll.

All perfectly calm so far.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

I've found this side of it interesting to compare my experience of things in Malaysia with the western reaction.

It's actually the opposite of what I'd expected. I've lived in Asia for pushing a decade now and I don't think it's unkind to suggest that Asians can be a hysterical lot in the face of any kind of public fuss.

Yet there's been no such nonsense here. My local supermarkets, and the big ones in the main malls, are all perfectly well-stocked, nobody is running around with trolleys full of pasta or noodles or bog roll.

All perfectly calm so far.

To be fair, there isn't actually much hysteria in the shops here, it's just that the news and social media here latch onto a few minor things and blow them out of all proportion. A few (long-life)  items are sold out after unexpected demand. That's all.

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure people complaining about not being able to go off work isnt because they are using debt to furnish a lavish lifestyle, but rather that they are working under shitty pay and sick leave conditions, in a country where housing, utilities etc is extortionate.

But let's not let that get in the way of bog standard "AYE BUT AH BET THEYV GOAT A 55 INCH TELLY AND SMART PHONES" type patter

27 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Should've stuck in at the school.

25 minutes ago, charon said:

Iran releases 70,000 folk from the jail

Not sure how adding known criminals into the equation helps.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

23 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's very cheap to borrow and very difficult to grow your money by saving unless you're willing to self invest. You can't blame people for what is a structural issue.

Even more so now based on the latest news from the BOE

27 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure people complaining about not being able to go off work isnt because they are using debt to furnish a lavish lifestyle, but rather that they are working under shitty pay and sick leave conditions, in a country where housing, utilities etc is extortionate.

But let's not let that get in the way of bog standard "AYE BUT AH BET THEYV GOAT A 55 INCH TELLY AND SMART PHONES" type patter

Tories: THEY CAN'T BE POOR, THEY HAVE A SMARTPHONE

Tory Policies: TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST NEED MUST HAVE THE INTERNET ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS WILL BE SHREDDED

A smart phone is like a 55" tv for you though so smart savings there.

They could invest in themselves and get more qualifications and a better job?
I agree with what you're saying but if you look at the average person in lots of debt who works then I would bet that they have lots of things they dont need or really can afford.
Average debt in 1990 was about 2k. Now its 15k despite no real wage increases.
People end up trapped in debt and it's not a good thing. Employers can treat people like shit because they know they're desperate. It's a society based on people buying shit they dont need.
As I said it's almost considered good or normal now to exist like this until the interest rates go up and everyone is fucked.
80% of GDP is debt. The country is ruined economically.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

I don't want to drag this off topic again. It seems like its socially acceptable even after a banking crisis to have thousands of pounds of debt and live day by day.
No problem with that but when times get tough someone has to pay it back.
The economy cant exist on nothing.

I hope you'll be saving all your spare cash to buy a home without a mortgage since you're so opposed to people having thousands of pounds of debt.