Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Coronavirus deaths: Norway 201, Denmark 401, Finland 186, Sweden 2192.

Even with Sweden bumping the numbers up massively, the region seems to have coped better than just about anywhere else. Which isn't really a surprise, these place - along with others who have handled this well like New Zealand- seem to top every index of running a successful country. They have reputations for good public services and generally healthy lifestyles, which have to be a benefit in situations like this.

You can't look at the difference between Sweden and its neighbours and just assign their rate of deaths as what you get with herd immunity. If the UK had stayed on that path, it would have been (even more of) a disaster.

2 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

You can't look at the difference between Sweden and its neighbours and just assign their rate of deaths as what you get with herd immunity. If the UK had stayed on that path, it would have been (even more of) a disaster.

I don't agree. The UK's approach made no effort to protect the most vulnerable.

You can see quite clearly those under 45 are at extremely low risk.

It makes no sense to continue to keep these people in their homes etc for the forseeable. You can put things in place to protect the vulnerable, without applying them to absolutely everyone and shutting the country down.

I do wish that 45-64 was split into two different brackets, much like age ranges above it.

20200426_114830.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

It makes no sense to continue to keep these people in their homes etc for the forseeable. You can put things in place to protect the vulnerable, without applying them to absolutely everyone and shutting the country down.
I do wish that 45-64 was split into two different brackets, much like age ranges above it.
20200426_114830.thumb.jpg.b7e55eb5151f78d43fc901bf55bd5321.jpg
Let the weemin oot!

So the millions of working over 45s who are currently not working just wither and die while the U45s set about carrying and infecting the general population willy nilly ? It appears even yet some folk dont / dont want to understand how this works. It's not the danger to the U45s that's the issue.

20200426_114830.thumb.jpg.b7e55eb5151f78d43fc901bf55bd5321.jpg

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

This is next level patter.

These sorta people remind me of Frank Reynolds in Always Sunny when he says "I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away" and Dee replies "you went to Vietnam in 1993 to open up a sweatshop."

3 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

I first read it in Hannibal. 

I haven't seen any Hannibal although a gay fella I know tells me the TV show is great.

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

So the millions of working over 45s who are currently not working just wither and die while the U45s set about carrying and infecting the general population willy nilly?

That's an odd take.

We are paying 80% of everyone furloughed's wages atm, therefore we can afford to continue to do so for those over 45 for much longer should those extremely unlikely to die get back to work.

Those vulnerable would continue to be shielded similar to what they are doing just now.

22 minutes ago, Snafu said:

This is a football forum not a literary contest.

Fair enough, but there’s posts I’ll skip if they’re one paragraph 400 words long.

I assume when people post they want others to read their posts.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

That's an odd take.

We are paying 80% of everyone furloughed's wages atm, therefore we can afford to continue to do so for those over 45 for much longer should those extremely unlikely to die get back to work.

Those vulnerable would continue to be shielded similar to what they are doing just now.

That’s a pretty simplistic take on a very complex situation. 

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

The public, especially older people, are more likely to be concerned about the restrictions being lifted too easy, according to this poll

Aye the same folk who realise the importance of going out to vote seem to have thought this through whereas the generation who think reality TV is more important than elections haven’t.

What a surprise.

Aye the same folk who realise the importance of going out to vote seem to have thought this through whereas the generation who think reality TV is more important than elections haven’t.
What a surprise.

You aren’t going to beat Philpys post from a few days ago.