Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

It's too far gone now, I dont know how bad it needs to get before people realise this is about more than money. I regret saying what I said but theres an element of truth in the way society seems to live hand to mouth.
I'm not looking forward to possibly losing wages either. Its nobodies fault apart from the government who could and should have shut down travel and big events weeks ago.

Maybe you could pull yourself up by your bootstraps, study to better yourself and get a better job where you get full sick pay? Only yourself to blame.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

A few rumours of Switzerland taking the same approach as Italy and imposing some form of travel ban.

Our Swiss Sons are due to fly over here tomorrow for the weekends game with Falkirk. Obviously I want them all to remain healthy, but it'll be really shite if we miss out on the annual piss up.

There's only two places that have had mass infections - Hubei and northern Italy. In both places the health system has buckled and the death rate is way higher than elsewhere. That's mainly because there simply aren't enough ventilators to keep large numbers of critical cases alive. It might still be a low rate, as we don't know how many asymptomatic or mild cases have gone undiagnosed, but any number at the moment is pretty much speculation.
Only people with symptoms will report and maybe only some of them will get tested.
It is reassuring that the vast majority of uk tests are negative as I'm assuming that all these people are symptomatic.
If we get a mass outbreak then the nhs or any system will not be able to cope.
Surely the common sense thing would have been to implement social distancing as soon as the Italian spread started?
Instead we have let people from an infected hotspot travel to liverpool and go to pubs and a game.
Why wait until the number of cases mean that theres no more beds before doing anything?
I cant understand the thinking other than economic reasons. Surely it better to have 600 cases rather than 6000?
Why would the rate here not increase in the same way as italy?

Thoughts and prayers.
I hope you have access to some sort of excellent sports broadcasting service. Good luck.

f**k off with your thoughts and prayers ;-)

It’s just the first step of the screening process here. I assume as it is a respiratory virus and my job involves a great deal of travel and my travel history is quite extensive, I fall into a demographic.

Reckon, I’ll be back to normal by next week.

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I dunno but surely the dynamics in the UK would be the same as across the rest of the world? 

He's talking about the spoilt privileged c***s who might meet someone who can afford to go on holiday to Italy. 

It seems the UK is being reactive rather than proactive in regards to this, which is absolutely not ideal. Social distancing, working from home and events being banned will all be done when it's too late to stop a mass spread. should've been done as soon as there was 100 cases here.

I'll not be exchanging messages with you again!  
No time mentioned - I assume you will be spinning this out as long as possible.  

Think it was your message that contained the virus!

Yes, the ME contains all the real info (and all my personal data). Off work now until next week, when I have to get further checks if it has not improved.

Can someone start a gofundme page to fly me home and get Branson on the dog and bone!

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Our Swiss Sons are due to fly over here tomorrow for the weekends game with Falkirk. Obviously I want them all to remain healthy, but it'll be really shite if we miss out on the annual piss up.

I confidently predict that a weekend on the piss in Dumbarton is absolutely and by a distance the biggest danger they face in all this.

It seems the UK is being reactive rather than proactive in regards to this, which is absolutely not ideal. Social distancing, working from home and events being banned will all be done when it's too late to stop a mass spread. should've been done as soon as there was 100 cases here.
I cant understand their thinking.

1 minute ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Think it was your message that contained the virus!

Yes, the ME contains all the real info (and all my personal data). Off work now until next week, when I have to get further checks if it has not improved.

Can someone start a gofundme page to fly me home and get Branson on the dog and bone!

You're probably better off where you are! 

Guest bernardblack

It should be a case of anyone who can work from home, should be working from home. But for some reason, everyone is still coming in for 40+ hours a week

11 hours ago, Gaz said:

Remember that the authorities view football fans as mindless, uncultured thugs, and fans of other sports are much more civilised and trustworthy.

That's just the quiet ones, the rest of us are moronic, homophobic, sexist, racist bigots.

20 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

You need cooperation from the public for these things to work, police can't keep everyone a minimum of 1 metre apart. If you start it too early people will start getting complacent and ignore the advice. Stage one was to isolate first cases and track down all their contacts. Stage 2 is when it's spread into the general population, which is where we are getting to now. The more draconian measures mean hundreds of thousands of people losing their livelihoods, you want this stage to be as brief as possible. There's always the need to balance risk, for instance shutting down public transport would seem a good idea, but then how will hospital staff get to work?

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

It should be a case of anyone who can work from home, should be working from home. But for some reason, everyone is still coming in for 40+ hours a week

Agreed - why wouldn't any reasonable employer do this without having to be instructed to do so?   

I wonder why each country wants to reinvent the wheel over measures to be taken - we should/ must learn from the experiences of those who experienced this before us.