Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Bairnardo said:

There still is a huge disconnect between what folk think the personal consequences of catching it will be versus the actual point of trying to contain it.

Some folk seem unable to correlate the potential for a heavy cold with the absolute societal nightmare that comes with having to shut down business, schools, transport and whatever else. And that the point of doing that is to avoid millions of deaths.

To many folk look no further than "this wont kill me"

It's not 'millions of deaths'.

It really isn't.

14 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

All public gatherings of more than 500 people to be cancelled from Monday onwards. Deary fucking me.

Hamilton fixtures going ahead as normal?

It's not 'millions of deaths'.

It really isn't.
Right. So tell me why all of this is happening then? Because millions of people having a cold at the same time is not enough to cause this level of concern, the inevitable govt intervention to shut down normal society and smash the stock market to pieces.

What's at stake here if it isnt concern about a ludicrously high number of deaths?

Boris and pals scared that we all feel a bit under the weather at our work?

Guest Moomintroll
Good. Hopefully a few of the lorry drivers at the depot get it.
Lets spread it
Absolutely certain that if someone gets it at one of our Stores then those colleagues will all be put into isolation & we will get dragged in from all over to keep the place running. If there is an outbreak at an RDC however then that is going to be great fun.

Just now, SlipperyP said:

100% hit rate here

Guyana 1 +1 1 +1   0  

Fair play to them.

If the general profile of folk that die is that they are old and have underlying health issues.... That implies they don't have long on this mortal coil anyways.

And the falling death rate in China kinda hints that Worldwide the death total will be hee haw, relatively. With most not going to have lived for decades without the virus.

Is it worth the meltdown by mentalists?

I think not.

14 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Trueemoji1.png

Farcical decision though. I’m guessing there will be no impact of 50,000 people attending the old form game on Sunday?

This is a good point and another is whether the average punter is more or less likely to catch and indeed spread a virus commuting on a crowded train or bus to a major city where they're working in a large office (over 1,000 people) in an enclosed space sharing toilet and kitchen facilities for 8 hours per day, 5 days per week as opposed to attending a football match outdoors for under 2 hours per week ??

I'm not saying either are good, however I'd personally say the risk was FAR greater of catching and spreading a virus at work or going to work as opposed to attending the football match.

Surely if we're taking this seriously then the realities of "work" need to be looked at ????

This is a good point and another is whether the average punter is more or less likely to catch and indeed spread a virus commuting on a crowded train or bus to a major city where they're working in a large office (over 1,000 people) in an enclosed space sharing toilet and kitchen facilities for 8 hours per day, 5 days per week as opposed to attending a football match outdoors for under 2 hours per week ??
I'm not saying either are good, however I'd personally say the risk was FAR greater of catching and spreading a virus at work or going to work as opposed to attending the football match.
Surely if we're taking this seriously then the realities of "work" need to be looked at ????

Of course. My point was more the stupidity of the government acknowledging that event gatherings are an issue whilst not implementing anything to stop it until the day after 50,000 people are set to attend a football match.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I wonder if they'll freeze interest on mortgages if they're giving folk payment holidays.

We don't usually and the 2/3 months ye miss are then spread across the rest of the mortgage so your monthly payment goes up (usually not by a lot). Also due to the bank of England cutting interest rates a lot of folks mortgage payments are changing anyway.

I am so glad I don't work on either of those teams. I'll feel the effects six month from now when all the folk with reduced income fall deep into arrears trying to pay all the creditors they've obtained during this period.

3 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Of course. My point was more the stupidity of the government acknowledging that event gatherings are an issue whilst not implementing anything to stop it until the day after 50,000 people are set to attend a football match.

Yes, same with The English games and also Cheltenham. 

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this afternoons Cobra meeting.

14 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

You wonder why they haven't just suspended stock markets tbh

So that I can short the f**k out of it.*

*I'm not actually allowed to do this, thanks to restrictions imposed by my employer.