Coronavirus (COVID-19)

With all this focus on washing hands, antibacterial gel etc, what about the hoards of homeless on our streets ?
How are they expected to deal with this ? and as well as being at serious risk themselves, surely they could also be major carriers of the disease ??

I very much doubt this government is suddenly going to start caring about homelessness now.
There is only one person the average Tory gives a dam about and that is their self they seem to struggle with the concept of society and how we are all actually interconnected.

3 minutes ago, charon said:

I'm in my mid 50's with previous health issues...

* Banned from Twitter after recent flat earther rocketman died, so not seen really a thing there about this virus. Nice try.

And now...you want to be like China 😁

Love that you're proudly announcing you're in your 50s and managed to get yourself banned from twitter. A complete roaster.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's not relevant. The bin dweller doesn't have a fucking scooby about how many people this will kill before it's done, he's literally read some twitter post and taken the view that the virus isn't a worry for him, because he's not old or ill. He's literally so stupid he doesn't see how this will affect his life and has the cheek to call everyone else a mentalist. The death rate is slowing in China because they are taking the most drastic measures available to them. We are not doing that here, other parts of the world aren't even bothering their arse testing people, we have no idea how many it will kill and China can only be used as a barometer if we start implementing the same measures they are. 

We do know with a reasonable degree of accuracy (given it’s an ongoing situation) the proportion of serious cases of illness to mild, barely perceptible infections for the population as a whole and subcategories though. There’s nothing so far to suggest that it’s more serious than a moderately bad strain of the seasonal flu virus. It’s therefore perfectly legitimate to debate whether measures adopted by any government right now are i) proportionate to the risk level for any public gathering or category of the population and ii) likely to prove effective anyway. If they don’t pass both tests then implementing them now is doing little more than locking the stable door after the horse has bolted and adding huge economic disruption into the bargain.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If Trump catches it he will shrug it off.  His doctor, pictured below, says he’s one off the healthiest people on the planet.

04FE1F73-91FB-47DF-98E4-9FE7DB1F6E18.jpeg.636ed4ff3eae5d992ba2376bbe561e46.jpeg

How couldn’t you trust this man?

I liked it when he signed off on Trump's physical that said he was 6'3 and 239lbs, which makes him an inch shorter and a pound lighter than Dwyane Wade. 

dwade1.png

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Share values would still change while the market was suspended but no one would make any money out of it.

We certainly can't have that happening.

59 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I'd love to be able to make some coin out of this, but ironically all my savings are in a stock that has took as big a pounding as any and as such, I cant really sell emoji53.png

45 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Really? If I was one of your company's clients I'd be moving my funds to somebody who was. When has morality and the greater good ever come into gambling on the markets?

Technically speaking I would actually be able to short the markets. The issue is we have a minimum holding period on any personal investments we make, and you are absolutely fucked if I am going to take a position right now that I cannot close within that period.

Our clients can(and very much are) able to short just about anything that has a market for it.

Edited by Ross.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

We do know with a reasonable degree of accuracy (given it’s an ongoing situation) the proportion of serious cases of illness to mild, barely perceptible infections for the population as a whole and subcategories though. There’s nothing so far to suggest that it’s more serious than a moderately bad strain of the seasonal flu virus. It’s therefore perfectly legitimate to debate whether measures adopted by any government right now are i) proportionate to the risk level for any public gathering or category of the population and ii) likely to prove effective anyway. If they don’t pass both tests then implementing them now is doing little more than locking the stable door after the horse has bolted and adding huge economic disruption into the bargain.

The death rates coming out of different countries seem to vary though, someone earlier saying Italy's was around 8% which seems to be higher than what we've been hearing previously. There is also the suggestion from experts that the virus could mutate, if that happens then the death rate could rise again. I'm not sure we can accurately predict how many will die at this point.

29 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

With all this focus on washing hands, antibacterial gel etc, what about the hoards of homeless on our streets ?

How are they expected to deal with this ? and as well as being at serious risk themselves, surely they could also be major carriers of the disease ??

Just a suggestion.

2014-03-06-watercannon.jpg

11 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Technically speaking I would actually be able to short the markets. The issue is we have a minimum holding period on any personal investments we make, and you are absolutely fucked if I am going to take a position right now that I cannot close within that period.

Our clients can(and very much are) able to short just about anything that has a market for it.

By short you mean they are banking in further drops?

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Yes. Various ways of doing it. On equities people will generally borrow shares from someone else and sell them, with the expectation being they can buy them back at a lower price and pocket the difference. Shorting a market can be done in various ways but the most popular at the moment tends to be via ETF's like XUKS.

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The death rates coming out of different countries seem to vary though, someone earlier saying Italy's was around 8% which seems to be higher than what we've been hearing previously. 

It was 5%, and the reason given was the amount of over 80s in Italy.

Italy and Germany will be the two worst affected countries on the planet, in terms of death rates, when this is all said and done (barring a mutation that makes it deadlier for younger, healthier, people), as both have a 60+ population higher than average.

Most countries are chasing themselves now, as the virus has spread without being noticed for a while. Its already too late to completely end it, so an outbreak will become a yearly event now. This "jump in cases" that is getting pumped out each day is completely wrong and needs silenced, its just causing hysteria, the actual infected number will already be far higher.

Edited by RandomGuy.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Yes. Various ways of doing it. On equities people will generally borrow shares from someone else and sell them, with the expectation being they can buy them back at a lower price and pocket the difference. Shorting a market can be done in various ways but the most popular at the moment tends to be via ETF's like XUKS.

I can't believe how much he teed you up for a cheap joke and you took the high road. Respect.