Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Tricky situation in the care sector; a lot of people who need support and care might not end up getting it. 
The sector is already at breaking point due to years of financial cuts. If this virus takes off as predicted it could be utterly devastating.

2 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:
15 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:
Tricky situation in the care sector; a lot of people who need support and care might not end up getting it. 

The sector is already at breaking point due to years of financial cuts. If this virus takes off as predicted it could be utterly devastating.

Correct. I'm completely split; people need care, but they also might not need carers bringing the virus into their homes where other vulnerable family members/home-carers live. It's not really possible for me to work from home either so god knows what's going to happen. 

I agree with this but what proportion of the population does this apply to?  I imagine about 90%+ of people are in jobs where this is not an option.

Around 50% of the workforce are in office type jobs where working from home is possible.

3 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

They were just saying on the radio that loads of flights from Europe come to the UK for direct flights to the US. Are they banning Europeans or just flight originating from European hubs? As usual Trump just garbles any old shire.

Little did I realise that nobody travels from Europe to the US with a connection at Heathrow any more.  :wacko:

It's like Dundee trying to block entry to Weegies by blockading the A90, whilst keeping the Tay bridges open because they don't mind Edinburgh.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Around 50% of the workforce are in office type jobs where working from home is possible.

How do you work that out % in the first place?

In any case I can do it because I can work on a secure VPN, would all or 50% of employers have that facility?

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

A real job is the provision of goods or services that people are willing to pay you for. It's really as simple as that.

If people no longer want, for example, taxis then taxi driver will no longer be a job.

If we all die of the virus by that rationale , being a doctor isn't a proper job either.

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

It's possible in theory, however in practice it's completely different which I've already covered in a previous post.

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Little did I realise that nobody travels from Europe to the US with a connection at Heathrow any more.  :wacko:

It's like Dundee trying to block entry to Weegies by blockading the A90, whilst keeping the Tay bridges open because they don't mind Edinburgh.

I would expect everyone at the Tay Bridge to show their full travel history for the past few weeks, meaning any weegie would have to stay in Fife for a period before crossing the bridge.

26 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

My mum gets 4 or 5 lots of carers each day (2 carers each visit) and she's waiting for a place in a nursing home (which shouldn't be a long wait). They've said to her they might be forced to stop visiting. She spends every day saying she wishes she could top herself so would be more than happy for the carers to give her something deadly anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

US Homeland Security will have no issues identifying who has been in the Schengen Zone in the past 14 days.

Buying a sandwich for lunch and some utter cunto was picking up each one to read the label then putting it back FFS.
There still is a huge disconnect between what folk think the personal consequences of catching it will be versus the actual point of trying to contain it.

Some folk seem unable to correlate the potential for a heavy cold with the absolute societal nightmare that comes with having to shut down business, schools, transport and whatever else. And that the point of doing that is to avoid millions of deaths.

To many folk look no further than "this wont kill me"