Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Dele said:

I'm intrigued by this. I take it all (or certainly most) nightclubs will be closed? 

What about shopping centres, like the Overgate? 

4 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

It's an interesting question. Nightclubs shutting makes sense for obvious reasons.

Shops being shut, as mentioned by someone else above, would just probably cause greater social disorder so might be counter-productive. It may be that we see measures like staggered entry or something like that.

Kanton Tessin have implemented restrictions on venues with a capacity of more than 50 people. Pretty much means most bars, cafes and clubs will be closed for the foreseeable future down there. Tessin shares a border with Northern Italy, which is why they are taking it a bit more seriously than the rest of the country at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Not even sure I have caught that from her. 3 weeks to go and she has just started maternity leave. Had to happen exactly as it took a turn for the mental in here. Easy for her to try and catch up with her kip while she swans about the house all day. I on the other hand might have to start investigating the finer points of the Zürich stimulants market.

This little treacle might have a hookup for PCP. 

DIfxlsWXYAAjpVW.jpg

7 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

It can't function, clearly.

The question is where do we draw the line between trying to slow the speed of infection and avoiding other problems like people dying of other health concerns because they can't access treatment or drugs, or people not having access to food, or the mental health effects of long-term social distancing.

Not to mention the economic impact of millions of people being off their work and either not getting paid or their employers going bust.

Nobody really knows how that balance will or should work.

They could start again as The Employer.

5 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

This little treacle might have a hookup for PCP. 

DIfxlsWXYAAjpVW.jpg

In the interests of keeping it authentic, I assume they got a foreigner to do all the dirty work in this one.

I do find it strange the difference in public reactions between Veneto and Scotland. I've not seen any signs of panic buying or overreaction here. People are a bit stressed about the future from an economic perspective but that's about it.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

I do find it strange the difference in public reactions between Veneto and Scotland. I've not seen any signs of panic buying or overreaction here. People are a bit stressed about the future from an economic perspective but that's about it.

I think the panic here is exaggerated by people tweeting pics of the odd empty shelf, no mad hoarding going that I can see in Inverness.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Kind of the same in Lombardia. There was an initial run on the supermarkets but it evened out. Have to say I have seen a difference since the proper lockdown though. Much less people around and the shops are only allowing so many people in at a time.

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

NYSE suspended now. How would share values change if people can't trade them?

It's like the way they change overnight which is immediately reflected when trading open. 

The value isn't dependent on trades it's dependent on the potential for profitably which the individuals on the market measure. Your house can increase or decrease in value when it's not on the market and so can companies. 

Dr. David Nabarro, WHO Special Envoy on Covid19, is on CNN just now and is saying that there should be no sporting events taking place at the moment and that govts need to be much more transparent with their populace.
That'll be us fecked then..........

He’s a wise, wise man.

13 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

NYSE suspended now. How would share values change if people can't trade them?

Not entirely sure how it would work in the US as they have direct market access there, so it is mostly done based on the order book. I would guess depending on the volume and type of orders it could see things move.

In the UK the market makers could easily adjust their prices and expectations out of hours, and make a killing for themselves in the process...