Coronavirus (COVID-19)

28 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

There has been loads of folk overlooked, My old man only got his shielding letter on Saturday after countless phone calls to Heomotology and his GP.  Fair play to the council though, they dropped of a food package yesterday which has an impressive amount of goodies.

@Wee Willie

This is why you're better letting them know beforehand rather than waiting until you need them. It might take a while for them to get their arses in gear 👍 

A 2nd front was a physical impossibility in 1942, and a probable failure in 1943.
And became less so the more the Germans were getting pumped elsewhere. If Germany hadnt made all it's mistakes when it attacked Russia and smashed through to Moscow and conquered it and it's oil fields how big of a D-Day would the allies have needed then ? Now that would have been impossible.

Hitler's war was not really lost until the combination of Bagration/Overlord. That's what broke their back. Everything after that was time wasting, but Overlord and the subsequent race to the German borders brought them close to collapse by itself. 
Stalin was over the moon when the Germans attempted a breakout in the Ardennes as it pushed back an Allied invasion of Germany into the Spring....
That's fair enough all I'm saying is if D-Day had not happened the Red Army would have still made it to Berlin. Literally nothing would have stopped them at that point. They had already sacrificed too much.

2 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Employers and employees should be told what reasonable measures is before they go back to work.

We know that it is hard to detect, how contagious the virus is, how quickly it spreads.

Reasonable measure should including testing staff weekly and using thermometers on a daily basis. 

There are millions of people who have worked right through the pandemic with no issues without any of these measures in place. 

You are being hysterical. 

5 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
20 minutes ago, renton said:
A 2nd front was a physical impossibility in 1942, and a probable failure in 1943.

And became less so the more the Germans were getting pumped elsewhere. If Germany hadnt made all it's mistakes when it attacked Russia and smashed through to Moscow and conquered it and it's oil fields how big of a D-Day would the allies have needed then ? Now that would have been impossible.

Well even in1944 D-Day and the subsequent Normany campaign was an incredibly complex military operation that was touch and go. Yeah, if Britain goes down in 1940 the allies lose, if Russia goes down in 1942 the Allies lose, if the US doesn't get into the war in 1941... touch and go.

1 minute ago, AUFC90 said:
11 minutes ago, renton said:
Hitler's war was not really lost until the combination of Bagration/Overlord. That's what broke their back. Everything after that was time wasting, but Overlord and the subsequent race to the German borders brought them close to collapse by itself. 
Stalin was over the moon when the Germans attempted a breakout in the Ardennes as it pushed back an Allied invasion of Germany into the Spring....

That's fair enough all I'm saying is if D-Day had not happened the Red Army would have still made it to Berlin. Literally nothing would have stopped them at that point. They had already sacrificed too much.

That's where I'm not so sure. Depends on the conditions: why is D-day not happening on this scenario?

I imagine the only part of Whitehall functioning well right now is the arse covering department. Presumably they'll be getting everything they can under the official secrets act....

27 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

Try again. You ask for a spoil of war for say Belgium. My answer would be Belgium because if the allies had turned up a year late to the party maybe Stalin would have kept them as well.

And is if one of the richest and most industrialised areas in Europe not falling into Stalins hands isn't a spoil of war brought about by the UK and the US deciding, onelce the war had been won, we need to get in there in boys. You have to bear in mind Stalin had been begging for ages for them to open up a 2nd front whilst millions of Russian bodies were piling up so you tell me what would have happened if the Western powers had decided to turn up a a year and a half later to the party.

Getting your own country back instead of being occupied by another brutal dictatorship is hardly a "spoil of war" imho. Now if the Belgians had been given a bit of Germany in perpituity, that would have been a spoil of war. 

Edited by Jacksgranda

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Getting your own country back instead of being occupied by another brutal dictatorship is hardly a "spoil of war" imho. Now if the Belgians had been given a bit of Germany in perpituity, that would have been a spoil of war. 

I'm not really throwing my hat in with which was preferable but if you were, say, a Greek communist was it really better to "get your own country back" instead of being occupied by the Soviets?

Eta: and while it was probably, on balance, better that the west retained some sort of freedom relative to the Eastern Bloc, I would be even happier if I was a Nazi collaborator to be liberated by the Americans and the Brits than the Russians although ofc plenty of collaborators got off scot-free behind the Iron Curtain as well.

Edited by NotThePars

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

What is the R0 rate in Scotland btw? I've not seen it anywhere.

Being slightly higher than the UK is only an issue if it is high in the UK

She said yesterday I was between 0.7 and 1.0 Again neglected to give any evidence of this

To the US and Britain making sure France and Belgium become France and Belgium again is a Win.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

We got three fairly irrelevant villages. Now German is an official language here despite only 30,000 people speaking it.

(I say we despite not being in anyway Belgian other than temporarily living here)

3 minutes ago, Steven W said:

She said yesterday I was between 0.7 and 1.0 Again neglected to give any evidence of this

It's pretty well guesswork with the amount of testing going on.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

I've got 3 quid sitting in my 365 account, give me your tips.

A treble on HB Torshavn,  NSI Runavik and Skala IF will net you a profit of 41p. Nap.

10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I'm not really throwing my hat in with which was preferable but if you were, say, a Greek communist was it really better to "get your own country back" instead of being occupied by the Soviets?

Eta: and while it was probably, on balance, better that the west retained some sort of freedom relative to the Eastern Bloc, I would be even happier if I was a Nazi collaborator to be liberated by the Americans and the Brits than the Russians although ofc plenty of collaborators got off scot-free behind the Iron Curtain as well.

The Greek communists had a go at getting a communist government. They lost.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The Greek communists had a go at getting a communist government. They lost.

The Hungarian nationalists had a go at getting their own government in 1956. They lost.

Edited by NotThePars

30 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
40 minutes ago, renton said:

Nobody is disputing that.