Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Snafu said:

This from The Spectator -

''UK debt jumps to 98 per cent of GDP

How much will the Covid-19 crisis cost? With the economy in freefall, it’s hard to guess – but the first hard data today shows that even the worst-case scenarios might be too optimistic. The net debt for April stood at £1,887.6 billion, or 98 per cent of GDP. It was pushed up by government departmental spending that jumped to £91.4 billion last month, vs £55.8 billion for April last year. That’s an increase of 64 per cent, and only £5.2 billion was the cost of the government’s job retention programme. That’s eight years’ progress of deficit reduction undone in a matter of weeks. Remarkably, VAT receipts were negative: the government refunded £900 million more than it took in. Strange days.

And the reaction of the markets? To shrug and invite the government to borrow even more. The yield on the five-year gilt fell 0.017 points to -0.017 per cent – so the Treasury is being paid to borrow. This will not help Rishi Sunak make the case for fiscal prudence. No. 10 (which has always tended to argue that the deficit is big enough to look after itself) will see the market’s reaction and ask: what’s the problem? As Fraser Nelson argues in his Daily Telegraph column, the problem is that a crippled economy will claim lives. For example, recent UK experience shows that every one per cent rise in unemployment causes a 2 per cent rise in the caseload of chronic disease. If this crash is as bad as the last one (at present, it’s far worse), it will mean almost half a million more cases of mental health problems and a million more people with chronic diseases. Poverty kills as surely as Covid-19 – but more quietly and in a way that’s clear only in retrospect.''

Like the deaths in care homes certain detached morons might call this collateral damage or inevitable.

The first half of that is about fiscal policy which has no obvious link to the statement of the obvious that the economy keeps people alive. 

Obviously i'm not going to pay the tory fanzine subscription to read fraser nelson's drivel, but i'd love to hear the logic. 

Equating the increased government debt with "cost" is a category error to start with. Most of it is likely to be a transfer. 

I think using a bit of common sense for outdoor activites such as hiking, fishing and golf are all they are asking. Don't go to the mountains in Skye if your from Glasgow when you can go to Ben Lomond or the Cobbler same scenario with fishing and golf, stay local.

That was the gist I got. I’m quite happy, there’s plenty of good walks I know around Perthshire that are always dead so I’ll be going around about them instead of my boring walk to the city centre and back everyday. Can’t wait to be honest.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

The first half of that is about fiscal policy which has no obvious link to the statement of the obvious that the economy keeps people alive. 

Obviously i'm not going to pay the tory fanzine subscription to read fraser nelson's drivel, but i'd love to hear the logic. 

Equating the increased government debt with "cost" is a category error to start with. Most of it is likely to be a transfer. 

The two most ironic words in that are “poverty kills”.  I wonder how many Spectator readers equate that fact to the effects of the Tory austerity policies of the last 10 years.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The two most ironic words in that are “poverty kills”.  I wonder how many Spectator readers equate that fact to the effects of the Tory austerity policies of the last 10 years.

People are poor because Gordon Brown gave all the money to immigrants 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Both instances probably lasted no longer than 5-10 seconds and neither of them inconvenienced him in any way whatsoever. It's knicker wetting.

It's not mutually exclusive. Even if Pozbaird is the sort of over-reacting misanthropic auld bollocks that would make Victor Meldrew look jovial, it doesn't mean that the other pair aren't spectacularly stupid c***s too. My own philosophy, sadly based on considerable experience, is to expect every new person I meet to be an absolute c**t until proven otherwise.

That might just be a Motherwell thing, though.

tumblr_ncuhebT4u91tu80cno7_r3_400.gif

Edited by Doctor Manhattan
ETA: Just seen Mark Connolly's post. Glad I'm not the only miserable c**t...

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Blimey, did I say that?

Re reading my post just to be on the sure side and then 'reading between the lines' I then looked at it upsides down and then with my reading glasses, .............nope.

If you are referring to the morons you think I called morons then you just admitted you knew they knew about this for a long time without doing anything about it, which makes sense given the governments track record of doing nothing until its too late.

I wouldn't start making excuses for these heartless c**ts.

I wasn't making excuses for them.

Maybe i misinterpreted who you were calling morons

Guest Bob Mahelp

I can't help thinking that this nutcase 2 week quarantine idea, is simply the Tories appealing to the braindead xenophobes who support them. 

'We're helping the British people by keeping these diseased foreigners out'

I can't help thinking that this nutcase 2 week quarantine idea, is simply the Tories appealing to the braindead xenophobes who support them. 

Of course it is. There’s no logical reason for people in countries where there is a very low risk of the virus and proper contact tracing to have to quarantine on arrival here.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

What you need is for Morrison's to bring in a rival app wee fella who will nip over the Kadikoi and let you know when it's your turn.

My local supermarket is Morrisons and I'm a wee fella as my nom de guerre states.

But I bide in Perth and I've only got a wee mobility scooter for transport.

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

They will also be bealing with other countries opening up but telling the Brits they can't get in with sandles on.

Edited by dirty dingus

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Of course it is. There’s no logical reason for people in countries where there is a very low risk of the virus and proper contact tracing to have to quarantine on arrival here.

You'd hope they're going to quickly announce exemptions to this.

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I wouldn’t have an issue with this if:

1 it had been introduced way back at the start; or

2 if it was only going to apply to countries where the virus was still rife.

Another thing, is it going to apply to British folk returning from holiday if it’s still in place by then?

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Another thing, is it going to apply to British folk returning from holiday if it’s still in place by then?

It'll be reviewed every 3 weeks.

Like i said earlier, it'll no doubt be lifted by the time us UK citizens are actually allowed to go anywhere making it really a non event for most of us.

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Think she said returning British citizens get a free pass.

Jet2 just announced theyre doing holiday flights from 1st July, wonder how that will work. The UK should have shut borders in March, fucking weeks of people coughing and spluttering at airport borders with no checks, even coming in from Italy and Spain at the height of all this and now the stupid tory p***ks think a quarantine is needed as the virus is falling in the properly prepared world, quarantine should be for countries like US, Brazil etc who’ve made the same clusterfuck of this as we have.