Coronavirus (COVID-19)

There's no chance Cummings will resign. He has absolutely no regard at all for rules. 

Equally, Johnson won't sack him because he doesn't have it in him and Cummings is very useful shield to him. Expect they will  double down on the childcare problem, claim the journey was necessaryand wait for it to fizzle out. 

Cummings won’t resign, Johnson won’t sack him, Tory voters won’t bother.

You’re probably right. If he does resign we’ll need to find someone else to run the country. If we had a decent press his resignation would be an inevitability. Based on that premise alone he’ll remain in post. He’ll remain a c**t too.

I'm certain after the Arcuri stuff and Cummings flagrant disregard for virtually everyone in and out of the Conservative Party that Johnson won't be PM going into the next election. 

We can but hope. He’ll be gutted to be increasingly regarded as more Chamberlain than Churchill but I’m unconvinced that those in the Tory party will care given the majority they have.

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

You’re probably right. If he does resign we’ll need to find someone else to run the country. If we had a decent press his resignation would be an inevitability. Based on that premise alone he’ll remain in post. He’ll remain a c**t too.

I don’t agree, I think the MSM are doing a shit job but even if they weren’t Cummings wouldn’t go.

Johnson won an election and a substantial majority not that long ago, at that election many ‘moderate’ Tories were replaced; he is in total control.  Factor in Johnson’s whole entitled and untruthful approach to politics over many years and you realise that he is under no real pressure to act and doesn’t have the moral fortitude or character to do so.

Just now, NotThePars said:

I'm certain after the Arcuri stuff and Cummings flagrant disregard for virtually everyone in and out of the Conservative Party that Johnson won't be PM going into the next election. 

The Tory party is an institution that cares about almost nothing other than a leader's ability to get them into power and stay there. Johnson needs to both fail badly on that front while a viable alternative emerges to replace him: that still looks a long shot before 2024.

I wouldn't be too surprised if he decided to chuck it though, given the sheer number of shit v fan interactions that have built up now for the next few years.

I don’t agree, I think the MSM are doing a shit job but even if they weren’t Cummings wouldn’t go.
Johnson won an election and a substantial majority not that long ago, at that election many ‘moderate’ Tories were replaced; he is in total control.  Factor in Johnson’s whole entitled and untruthful approach to politics over many years and you realise that he is under no real pressure to act and doesn’t have the moral fortitude or character to do so.

Yes there is something in what you say. A really good press wouldn’t let this go but they’re all so scared of upsetting their advertisers that sustained pressure from all but a small proportion of the MSM is probably unrealistic. It’s depressing stuff. To me the biggest problem is that as things stand an unprincipled man who has always hidden from any scrutiny has a mandate to be PM until 2024. The Tory party won’t want to change that by challenging his failures and no other group is on a position to meaningfully change that dynamic. It might just be that the inner Tory sanctum might be prepared to sacrifice Cummings but I suspect not.

Andrew Lilico currently making the best defence of Cummings with "he actually lived in one house before living in another before moving back and living in his original home therefore he never actually "visited" anywhere." Galaxy brain stuff I love it.

Andrew Lilico currently making the best defence of Cummings with "he actually lived in one house before living in another before moving back and living in his original home therefore he never actually "visited" anywhere." Galaxy brain stuff I love it.

Yep it’s great stuff. If it wasn’t so depressing it would be funny.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep it’s great stuff. If it wasn’t so depressing it would be funny.

I can't even criticise it I wish I had the brain that led me to post this stuff out into the wild every day.