Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

To date, shielding has meant asking the elderly, chronically ill, and others vulnerable to hospitalisation from coronavirus not to leave home, to avoid any face-to-face interaction, and to restrict human contact to the digital realm.

That's what I'm doing.

“there’s going to be a point, assuming the epidemic flows and grows, as we think it probably will do, where you’ll want to cocoon, you’ll want to protect those at-risk groups so that they basically don’t catch the disease – and by the time they come out of their cocooning, herd immunity’s been achieved in the rest of the population”.

Can anyone explain how that helps me?

As western countries ease lockdown, suggestions have been made for those being shielded to stay “cocooned” away indefinitely until a vaccine or antiviral therapy is found or natural herd immunity is reached.

My understanding of that is that herd immunity is where folk have had the virus and survived.

If I've been shielding for weeks/months how does that affect me when I emerge from my cocoon?

If herd immunity is achieved there will be no virus around for you to catch when you go out. We're a very long way from there. We'll almost certainly need a vaccine before we get anywhere close.

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, throbber said:

Aye it is mental alright, the nice weather is to blame but there is only so long people will obey lockdown rules when they are being flagrantly disregarded by high ranking government officials and politicians. This was eventually going to happen.

FTFY

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If herd immunity is achieved there will be no virus around for you to catch when you go out. We're a very long way from there. We'll almost certainly need a vaccine before we get anywhere close.

but...but...but you said...

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Go for it Willie, you'll be fine. Probably.

Are you telling porkies?

14 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

but...but...but you said...

Are you telling porkies?

Maybe. Only way you'll find out is going for a wee trip around town in your scooter. Try not to breathe too much.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Go for it Willie, you'll be fine. Probably.

Willie will be allowed out when he reaches you auld dears current age, he should just get out on his scooter with the we greenhouse on it, early morming/late evening in this heat right enough. 

Edited by ayrmad

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think I will to. Been out for two wee runs in the car (didn't stop to meet anyone) to keep the battery up. Got to make a doctor's appointment for my implant, that'll be my only outing (other than take my wife for her appointment).

I've COPD, the cure would be worse than the diseases. That's another reason I'd be a bit cautious about mingling, I've approximately 40% lung capacity, Covid-19 would make short work of that, I'm sure.

You'll be OK with Bairnardo's man-Covid. 

Global pandemic, who cares about a global pandemic when there's protesting to be done. 

Thousands of activists have gathered in Trafalgar Square, outside the Houses of Parliament and by the US embassy to protest the death of George Floyd in the US, as well as alleged police brutality in the UK.

Protesters could be heard chanting "black lives matter" and "say my name, George Floyd" in central London, in reference to the campaigning civil rights group

This virus isn't going away anytime soon.

18 minutes ago, bennett said:

Global pandemic, who cares about a global pandemic when there's protesting to be done. 

Thousands of activists have gathered in Trafalgar Square, outside the Houses of Parliament and by the US embassy to protest the death of George Floyd in the US, as well as alleged police brutality in the UK.

Protesters could be heard chanting "black lives matter" and "say my name, George Floyd" in central London, in reference to the campaigning civil rights group

This virus isn't going away anytime soon.

Madness. We've had so many things to protest about in recent times, but never a jot. Now some in the UK do so in the middle of a pandemic, about something that didn't even happen here.

On a sidenote, this should in theory result in a big spike in infections. Will be interesting to see, particularly were it not to.

(Before I suffer the wrath of the P&B clique, I'd readily point out that I don't have any issues with the subject matter of their protests. Black Lives Do Matter)

Edited by Steven W

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Birthday party in progress on my street with around 20 people, about half of whom are 60+ and a few very elderly, both inside and outside the house. Goodbye lockdown :lol:

Folk in oor street are having a nice wee garden party. Absolutely no distancing going on.

She is a nurse and the pair of them have been out banging pots every Thursday for the past three months

Edited by Gaz

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Birthday party in progress on my street with around 20 people, about half of whom are 60+ and a few very elderly, both inside and outside the house. Goodbye lockdown :lol:

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Folk in oor street are having a nice wee garden party. Absolutely no distancing going on.

She is a nurse and the pair of them have been out banging pots every Thursday for the past three months

Hopefully for every household like these there are hundreds more applying common sense.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Hopefully for every household like these there are hundreds more applying common sense.

Went out for another walk as the weather is great. The banner hanging outside says “Happy 80th Birthday”.

The family have all chipped in and got you death as a gift.

Had to take stuff down to the girlfriends Aunt and grandparents in Glasgow today, used it as an excuse to give the car a proper run.

Roads still quiet, marks and Spencer’s in Silverburn was empty. Only real traffic we seen was on the road back.

18 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Went out for another walk as the weather is great. The banner hanging outside says “Happy 80th Birthday”.

Sneak back out and add "and last".

28 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Have also been out for a walk since posting that, large groups of teenagers walking and cycling together.  Must have been difficult for parents of teenagers over the last few weeks but I can see this intermingling having consequences.

I know a lassie who works in a care home and regularly posts pics of her and her colleagues at work with all the PPE on and then at night posts selfies of her and her kids round at her mates house. 

This has been throughout the whole lockdown I might add. NHS and care workers are some of the worse offenders I’ve found. 

Before I forget, she’s a widnt.

Edited by TheScarf

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Far more still doing right over wrong.