Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Why are 24hr supermarkets still running restricted hours btw?
The reduced hours were brought in to allow them to restock after panic buyers had been in, but that stopped months ago. No reason now for them not to revert to 24 hours.
Said before that this crisis will be used to roll back loads of things in the customer service world, with the according staff cuts. Reduced ranges, reduced staff, reduced service all across day to day life.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:
6 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
The reduced hours were brought in to allow them to restock after panic buyers had been in, but that stopped months ago. No reason now for them not to revert to 24 hours.

My cousin is a manager in Morrisons, he reckons the vast majority of 24 hour stores across all the big supermarket chains won't return to that model of working.

I never understood why they were open 24 hrs anyway.

27 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Said before that this crisis will be used to roll back loads of things in the customer service world, with the according staff cuts. Reduced ranges, reduced staff, reduced service all across day to day life.

Not opening 24 hrs a day does not necessarily relate to all the bolded bit.

But I do think a lot of businesses will be able to manage with less staff.

6 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think they said it was to give time and space for picking deliveries and c&c orders, as well as the restocking. I'd imagine they prefer doing these things without people wandering about in the current climate.

It certianly falls in the reduced service category and whilst not a service I need, it's probably the first one off the list.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

It certianly falls in the reduced service category and whilst not a service I need, it's probably the first one off the list.

I did say "not all".

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

My cousin is a manager in Morrisons, he reckons the vast majority of 24 hour stores across all the big supermarket chains won't return to that model of working.

Quite.

17 hours ago, Snafu said:

You answered your own question there.

Every vote counts towards independence regardless where it comes from.

And I second that. So all these moaning sods on here I dinnae mind as long as they support (and vote for) Scottish independence.

17 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Covid-19 wasn't even on the radar when the SG - or any government - was elected.

Granda now you're being senile. Ye ken fine that the government (wherever they are) have the responsibility to make the decisions regarding covid-19.

16 hours ago, VladimirMooc said:

You keep repeating this stuff but you’re just wrong. The Scottish Government has control over our rail and bus industries. If they wanted to permanently nationalise them - or even just regulate the bus industry so that rich SNP donors like Brian Souter don’t rip off communities - then they could. It’s not ‘girnin’ to point out the SNP government’s chronic underfunding of local authorities, which has a direct impact on people’s lives. Far easier to blame Westminster than to take any responsibility for that though, I guess. 

If you don’t have full powers that doesn’t mean you can’t fully exercise the powers THAT YOU ALREADY HAVE. If I really want a pepperoni pizza but my only option is a margherita pizza then I’m not going to willingly starve myself until I get what I want. 

And I believe in independence, but not at the cost of supporting a party that continues to govern as timidly and meekly as the SNP while in government. Independence is important but there other important things too, like folks lives in the here and now. 

I did a quick google:

The Herald 21st December 2018

Nicola Sturgeon wants power to nationalise Scotland's railways

By Tom Gordon Scottish Political Editor

At present, the Scottish Government is responsible for letting the ScotRail franchise, with the current holder Abellio due to remain in charge until 2025.

However the rail infrastructure comes under the UK-wide public body Network Rail.

At First Minister’s Questions, Ms Sturgeon said both trains and track should be brought under Holyrood’s control through greater devolution to make nationalisation possible.

So the SG doesn't have complete control over the Railways. Much like they don't have complete control over our finances but you want them to do everything that you suggest with one hand tied behind their back.

not at the cost of supporting a party that continues to govern as timidly and meekly as the SNP while in government

Which party would you prefer to replace them?

And how much does the Westminster government retain of Scotlands finances.

You should be shouting at them and no at the Scottish government.

18 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

As NS said yesterday, the SG were elected to make all the decisions regarding covid-19 and they will make the decisions as they see it and no whit some on P&B decide.

12 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Granda now you're being senile. Ye ken fine that the government (wherever they are) have the responsibility to make the decisions regarding covid-19.

Of course, but that's not the way you worded it in your post that I quoted. Governments have a responsibility for their citizens, but they can't have a responsibility - when elected - for something that hadn't even happened.

18 hours ago, VladimirMooc said:

You keep repeating this stuff but you’re just wrong. The Scottish Government has control over our rail and bus industries. If they wanted to permanently nationalise them - or even just regulate the bus industry so that rich SNP donors like Brian Souter don’t rip off communities - then they could. It’s not ‘girnin’ to point out the SNP government’s chronic underfunding of local authorities, which has a direct impact on people’s lives. Far easier to blame Westminster than to take any responsibility for that though, I guess. 

If you don’t have full powers that doesn’t mean you can’t fully exercise the powers THAT YOU ALREADY HAVE. If I really want a pepperoni pizza but my only option is a margherita pizza then I’m not going to willingly starve myself until I get what I want. 

And I believe in independence, but not at the cost of supporting a party that continues to govern as timidly and meekly as the SNP while in government. Independence is important but there other important things too, like folks lives in the here and now. 

in fairness, Scot Gov did not get the power to include public sector bids for the Railways until the Scotland act of 2016 (after the deal to give the franchise to Abellio was complete) and still doesn't have control of the infrastructure - stuck with the UK franchise model.

It's a fairly regular example of the salami slicing approach to devolution taken by the UK government.  Instead of taking a holistic approach to responsibilities, they give ground only where absolutely necessary and even then with little thought as to how the responsibilities should work in practice.

To use your pizza analogy, it's like having the power to buy a pizza but not to choose the topping, so you complain and then eventually you get given partial control of the topping but are told all toppings must include pineapple...

Edited by renton

I think they said it was to give time and space for picking deliveries and c&c orders, as well as the restocking. I'd imagine they prefer doing these things without people wandering about in the current climate.
Although that might be what they said, it's certainly not the reality. You can hardly get up and down the aisles in my local Tesco at any time of day for the staff picking the c&c orders.

We are a Tesco Subsidiary & our opening hours have been cut to allow us to pick orders, restock & deep clean our Business Centres. Disgraceful that they are allowing that to happen as we are going way above & beyond to keep everyone safe.

Fantastic, let's f**k up the future's of our children even more by denying them mixing with their friends and receiving a proper education for a virus that has a minuscule mortality rate.  
Of course after the outcry then will back peddle as per.
Unbelievable.  75 pct who are showing antibodies didnt even realise they had it ffs.
Economy fucked, children's futures fucked, health service fucked. Never mind though.
That's pretty much how i feel.

It's good practice to prepare properly, incase this virus comes back with a vengeance. But as things stand, the cure is going to cause major damage to our society - when the threat is now pretty minimal.

7 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Fantastic, let's f**k up the future's of our children even more by denying them mixing with their friends and receiving a proper education for a virus that has a minuscule mortality rate.  

Of course after the outcry then will back peddle as per.

Unbelievable.  75 pct who are showing antibodies didnt even realise they had it ffs.

Economy fucked, children's futures fucked, health service fucked. Never mind though.

It gives a greater insight to how slowly they plan on opening Scotland back up imo.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, legitimately seething at the lack of appetite to return to normal (not "new normal") asap. Theres maybe an agenda at work here that's not covid related tbh, and it fucking stinks.

The fan boys are loving how safe the SNP are keeping everyone though. With an election next year that's great PR.

"The economy will recover, if you're dead you can't" is an increasingly common comment on twitter

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The fan boys are loving how safe the SNP are keeping everyone though. With an election next year that's great PR.

"The economy will recover, if you're dead you can't" is an increasingly common comment on twitter

Just to clarify slightly, my anger isnt at everything, mainly the education system. I dont mind cautiousness in general but every bit of language I hear coming out of my kids school for example suggests to me 1140 hours for nursery has died on this hill and wont return, for example.