Coronavirus (COVID-19)

20 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Probably been said already but pubs open on Isle of Man. No virus for 28 days, no lockdown, no social distancing.  

Stupid question - do they control their own border as such? Just that it seems that most/all islands in the UK that have "taken back control" have eradicated the virus obviously other than the one island that has been screaming "take back control" who have one of the worst death rates in the world

9 minutes ago, madwullie said:

There's been some research into toilet plumes (lol) which might go some way to explaining why they're still closed - although personally I thought it more likely it being a damp enclosed environment that won't get disinfected frequently enough to ameliorate the risk. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/16/coronavirus-toilet-flushing/%3foutputType=amp

Why allow supermarket toilets to be open then? It’s crazy. I saw one guy peeing against the snack bar last month, surely using a toilet is safer than peeing up against walls or snack bars where people are leaning, touching etc 

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Sadly I think a large chunk of ÜberNats do have that appetite. Being 'better' than England is above all else for them.

Where they think their jobs will be at the end of it I don't know, but I am certain it will be WM to blame for relaxing too soon and not extending the JRS indefinitely, and not policy closer to home.

To be fair, as you said yourself, the theory is sound. The practice is complex and probably not practically possible. I'd still imagine that supression to as high a degree as possible is a good thing.

I get that the longer we stay in lockdown, the more precarious jobs become, on the other hand, service industries that open with say 10%  of capacity might struggle to survive and on the other hand if public confidence doesn't recover then demand will not either, and that is gonna stop the economy moving.

Obviously at least one of those issues could be solved by relaxing the social distancing rules, which will surely follow relatively soon. It should be noted that facemasks by themselves only seem to take down infection rate probability to 0.3 while a 1M social distance apparently takes it down to 0.026 and 2M takes it down to 0.013. It seems to me on the face of it like compulsory masks and 1M together would make up for the 2M thing entirely, but even then its only an interim solution. We need to get back to normality, not new normal, but just ordinary normal bug i can't see how we do that without confidence that the virus has been properly suppressed to s high degree.

As to the JRS, it wasnt that ScotGov wanted a straight up continuation of it, rather that they want the UK to ape the likes of France in effectively subsidising wages and employment levels in Key industries to see them through low demand. There is no way France and Germany would allow Airbus to go under, for example. Its not a bad idea, I think. The UK traditionally seems to be the only Western nation that practices unfettered free market economics without some degree of protectionism. If we try that now, especially with No Deal Brexit on the horizon, the economy will be properly fucked. 

Any lasting recovery from this will be on the back of massive intervention from government.

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

Why allow supermarket toilets to be open then? It’s crazy. I saw one guy peeing against the snack bar last month, surely using a toilet is safer than peeing up against walls or snack bars where people are leaning, touching etc 

No idea, I was just sharing what I'd read and what my assumption had been for them being closed. 

2 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

This crisis has given Sturgeon the chance to run her "Nanny State" but there are lots of questions will be asked after this is done and dusted.

We have a Health Minister that is incapable of answering a direct question and is always keen to defer them until she gets her lackies to provide an answer for her.

We constantly heard that there were difficulties with bed blocking in hospitals but along comes this virus and they can miraculously empty the beds, but let's not test anyone or isolate them before placing them in homes. Look at the number of deaths this has caused.

The lack of PPE is/was inexcusable.

The PPE that arrived at Prestwick but could not be distributed because there were no labels on the boxes. Surely someone could have opened them and marked what was inside them.

Initially failing to sack Calderwood and then having to get her to resign when public opinion went against them.

Testing is another joke - promises that care home staff etc would be tested on a regular basis has just not happened and testing is no where near reaching the alleged capacity they have.

This has been the perfect solution to their failing school policies and they will use the virus as an excuse whenever criticised.

Exactly the same with the pie in the sky 1140 hours for nurseries. Again it was unlikely to be met but they have the perfect excuse again.

The lack of action against Derek Mackay.

Salmond has still to have his say.

Not including the long running issues with Trans identification, and the hospital issues QEUH and the Edinburgh Sick Kids Hospital.

And the sad thing is come election time they will sail through again because there is no viable alternative.

+ Prestwick Airport fiasco

+ Calmac ferry fiasco

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Stupid question - do they control their own border as such? Just that it seems that most/all islands in the UK that have "taken back control" have eradicated the virus obviously other than the one island that has been screaming "take back control" who have one of the worst death rates in the world

I have no idea, I would not think so. I did wonder about that myself. I would want to keep other people out if I lived there.

This crisis has given Sturgeon the chance to run her "Nanny State" but there are lots of questions will be asked after this is done and dusted.

We have a Health Minister that is incapable of answering a direct question and is always keen to defer them until she gets her lackies to provide an answer for her.

We constantly heard that there were difficulties with bed blocking in hospitals but along comes this virus and they can miraculously empty the beds, but let's not test anyone or isolate them before placing them in homes. Look at the number of deaths this has caused.

The PPE that arrived at Prestwick but could not be distributed because there were no labels on the boxes. Surely someone could have opened them and marked what was inside them.

Initially failing to sack Calderwood and then having to get her to resign when public opinion went against them.

Testing is another joke - promises that care home staff etc would be tested on a regular basis has just not happened and testing is no where near reaching the alleged capacity they have.

This has been the perfect solution to their failing school policies and they will use the virus as an excuse whenever criticised.

Exactly the same with the pie in the sky 1140 hours for nurseries. Again it was unlikely to be met but they have the perfect excuse again.

Not including the long running issues with Trans identification, and the hospital issues QEUH and the Edinburgh Sick Kids Hospital.

And the sad thing is come election time they will sail through again because there is no viable alternative.

FFS Some of you cnuts seem to think that the SNP will govern Scotland for evermore.

I vote for them at every chance cos I desperately want an independent Scotland.

The first national election after that I will vote for the most left-wing party there is in Scotland (assuming they will stand in my constituency)

Get a grip and stop girning.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I don't know enough and I'm not affected enough to get in to the rights and wrongs of the ways of coming out of lockdown, but relaxing things faster doesn't automatically make you more "forward thinking". The USA have basically never bothered with a lockdown and I doubt anyone would call Trump "forward thinking".

Well said

Edited by Wee Willie

2 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I have no idea, I would not think so. I did wonder about that myself. I would want to keep other people out if I lived there.

looks like they do - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-53067977

I think that the only way we can eradicate the virus in the UK is form a "bubble" with Ireland and close the border.

Jerusalem And God Save The Queen - Last Night Of The Proms 2012 ...

3 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I vote for then at every chance cos I desperately want an independent Scotland.

You are part of the problem.

Paying absolutely no attention to policy or performance and casting your vote forevermore based on an ideal is cult behaviour.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

FFS Leitch now using the number of people in Intensive Care GLOBALLY (55k he sats) as a fear factor, that is pathetic.

I can't take him seriously when he does his T-Rex arms.

But that is a nonsense statement to make. It's completely irrelevant to why certain shops here can open, whilst others can't.

You are part of the problem.
Paying absolutely no attention to policy or performance and casting your vote forevermore based on an ideal is cult behaviour.
He quite clearly is paying attention to policy as Greens apart the SNP is the only party with Independence as a policy (it's primary one). If Labour shifted position on that 1 policy (and stopped appointing hopeless Scottish party leaders) they would be firmly in the mix.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Did you read what he actually said?

Yes, he's made the point before.

He'd blindly vote for them regardless for the next 20 years purely because he wants independence.

Allowing for the change in how new cases are reported, that was a reasonably high case load today, which means the 7 day average for cases will have flattened out. Hopefully start to see it creep back down over the next week.

Good news is that we are looking at a week with no double figure deaths.

8 minutes ago, renton said:

Allowing for the change in how new cases are reported, that was a reasonably high case load today, which means the 7 day average for cases will have flattened out. Hopefully start to see it creep back down over the next week.

Good news is that we are looking at a week with no double figure deaths.

The good news I guess is it was still less than last Friday.

I wonder if the way the new data is provided is similar to the way death figures from PHE are calculated, which always results in a lower UK death figure on a Thursday, followed by a jump on the Friday.

I imagine, just like the death reporting, not all of the positive tests were returned within the timeframe that is suggested

Edited by Todd_is_God