Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Wife has had recurrent issues with a dental abcess throughout lockdown. Been getting antibiotics via NHS24 but phoned her newly reopened dental surgery this morning to be told......no can do. Cant do any extractions or drilling so contact NHS24 if you need emergency treatment. All they appear to be able to do are checked ups ( they did give her a prescription) and apparently they are only able to offer 15 appointments a day for those. What's the point in opening to offer virtually no service !!!

And what's the point in a check up?

"Yes, you need 3 fillings and you need 2 teeth out".

"OK, can you do it?"

"No".

34 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Allowing shielded people to make their own risk assessment is not the same as forcing them to go out.

Yeah, there's been no obligation for shielding people to do anything other than what the general population were able to do anyway. 

28 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

If you take away their shielding status they could be forced back to work. At the moment my shielding letter can be used as a "fit cert" meaning my employer can't force me back into the office (they wouldn't anyway). It shouldn't be a blanket approach. Each person should be assessed by their clinician to evaluate their risk. 

Hadn't considered that. 

And I agree with @Gaz re facemasks in school. Difficult enough to get them to take fucking hoodies off, and once you factor in parents that have decided their kid won't wear one, the knock on effect from that, I'd imagine in all but the poshest schools it would be a pretty tough ask.

Also, at the other end of the scale, would we be expecting p1, p2 kids to wear masks? I reckon the best hope is a 1m distance which should dramatically increase contact time across the board. 

28 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Wife has had recurrent issues with a dental abcess throughout lockdown. Been getting antibiotics via NHS24 but phoned her newly reopened dental surgery this morning to be told......no can do. Cant do any extractions or drilling so contact NHS24 if you need emergency treatment. All they appear to be able to do are checked ups ( they did give her a prescription) and apparently they are only able to offer 15 appointments a day for those. What's the point in opening to offer virtually no service !!!

Surely emergency dental care should be classed as essential and with suitable ppe they should be able to treat people. 

Surely emergency dental care should be classed as essential and with suitable ppe they should be able to treat people. 

They can do dental treatment if it doesn’t create an aerosol during phase 2. Unfortunately that leaves them either performing check ups or ripping teeth out. No fillings, root canals or scale and polish’s.

Come phase 3, they’ll be able to do aerosol treatment.

However my girlfriends practice is meant to be doing certain procedures at the local dental hospital If it is deemed an emergency.

36 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I got an extraction last week. Phoned my dentist about tooth ache, laid it on a bit thick. They gave me anti biotics for a week and when that didn't work I ohoned back, just being sure whne they ask if it's kept you up at night say yes, and I got fired through to the hub, appointment next day and they were happy to extract. No fillings though, they can't drill, but they would have been happy if I'd said I'd rather wait, but it was a molar so I just decided to get it out. Lanarkshire btw. 

She doesn't see it as an emergency more an annoyance that she thought she might get sorted now they have reopened. Apparently bypass NHS dentistry and you can get any treatment you like, possibly that's why they are open !

The comfortable life comment was in regards to not worrying about money, I wasn't suggesting they have no worries or stress in their life. If the situation is as awful as you're making out I suspect we'll have a huge teacher crisis in a couple of years - who would want to be a teacher if you're underpaid and overworked?
In some subjects like Maths there is already a crisis - lots of schools with unfilled vacancies in these subjects.

I got an extraction last week. Phoned my dentist about tooth ache, laid it on a bit thick. They gave me anti biotics for a week and when that didn't work I ohoned back, just being sure whne they ask if it's kept you up at night say yes, and I got fired through to the hub, appointment next day and they were happy to extract. No fillings though, they can't drill, but they would have been happy if I'd said I'd rather wait, but it was a molar so I just decided to get it out. Lanarkshire btw. 
What's "the hub" ? A hospital?

We've got a huge teacher crisis now - assuming by crisis you mean an inability to recruit and retain suitable staff. Why else the tax breaks and advertising campaigns continuously running in Print and Broadcast media? For recent graduates unable to find degree-related employment, it often seems an acceptable Plan B. It's not a job that should be done as a fallback, though - hence the retention problem, when those graduates find there's more to teaching than three months holiday.
As fo not worrying about money, if my starting rate was 24 k, and I was at the front end of a long mortgage rather than about to pay it off, I don't think it's fanciful to say that money would be a concern.
Our last two students dropped out because they just could not hack it.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
6 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
We've got a huge teacher crisis now - assuming by crisis you mean an inability to recruit and retain suitable staff. Why else the tax breaks and advertising campaigns continuously running in Print and Broadcast media? For recent graduates unable to find degree-related employment, it often seems an acceptable Plan B. It's not a job that should be done as a fallback, though - hence the retention problem, when those graduates find there's more to teaching than three months holiday.
As fo not worrying about money, if my starting rate was 24 k, and I was at the front end of a long mortgage rather than about to pay it off, I don't think it's fanciful to say that money would be a concern.

Our last two students dropped out because they just could not hack it.

We had one a year or so ago who came in for a day, then came in for the second day to tell us she was leaving. Poor lass. She was in bits, had been up all night crying as she had realised she wasn't up to doing the job she had presumably spent a good bit of time preparing for.

The dental lockdown conditions in Scotland are scandalous. Practices are allowed only 1 surgery open. 10 patients max a day. The list of bullshit goes on.

Thing is Leitch is a fecking dentist.

On reflection maybe why it's a shambles.

The other 3 nations are miles ahead.

Ps the worst is the non science backed fallow time of 60 minutes after an AGP procedure.

No time required in some other countries.

In fact Germany never shut down dentistry at all.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
1 minute ago, madwullie said:

What's "the hub" ? A hospital?

It was motherwell health centre, but the way they described it was they move from place to place each day. 

Basically it was a normal dentist but with a shit load of PPE and they have emergency cases only. Said they'd been really busy throughout lockdown. They said they actually can do drilling at certain places but they need ultimate PPE to do that. 

The first three or four years in particular are absolutely brutal. You don't have lesson plans to fall back on so you're making lessons / creating resources from scratch.
You'll get people say "just use this lesson that someone else has developed" but that doesn't work as you're developing your style and need lessons that will suit you.
This goes on for about four or five years, because when you're new to teaching it's often the case you won't be given "examinable" classes, so you need to do this every year you're given a higher ability class.
I've been teaching 8 years now and would say only in the past 2 or 3 years I've felt I don't need to spend hours and hours of planning as I've taught it all before.
That time doesn't get freed up though, as teaching higher-ability pupils requires more marking. It's not uncommon for one piece of homework from my Advanced Higher class to take four hours to mark, because it's not as simple as putting a tick or a cross - there's follow-on marks to consider, cross-marking, written feedback and so on.
I'm in for about 8 most mornings and don't leave until 5 most evenings, longer if there's a supported study class.
I won't ever compare my hours to a doctor or a nurse, but it's not the absolute skive it's portrayed as.
I've been teaching 26 years now and, although it gets easier in that your experience can see you through, there is a constant updating of courses and content.

In my own area of Business Studies you have to keep developing your skills and knowledge to keep pace with New Technology not to mention the ever-changing environment that business operate in. That's keeping up with legislation, economic policies, social trends, environmental issues and so on.

For example, I've just been updating units this week in light of changes to Health & Safety and Data Protection legislation.

3 minutes ago, superbigal said:

The dental lockdown conditions in Scotland are scandalous. Practices are allowed only 1 surgery open. 10 patients max a day. The list of bullshit goes on.

Thing is Leitch is a fecking dentist.

On reflection maybe why it's a shambles.

The other 3 nations are miles ahead.

Ps the worst is the non science backed fallow time of 60 minutes after an AGP procedure.

No time required in other countries.

In fact Germany never shut down dentistry at all.

If I was a dentist I'd be lobbying for continuation of furlough, trying to do the job with full PPE surgical kit on would be a pain unless it's an emergency.

Are the dentists complaining?

Just had the email from Falkirk Cooncil, daughter starts high school in August.
Going  in two days one week one day the next week and so on.  Still to hear wht my son who is going into primary seven will be doing.
Completely unacceptable.    Ah but of course blended learning.  They can quite frankly f**k off.   Ruining kids education, fucking up families trying to work, killing the economy etc etc etc.
Of  course the huge outcry will see this reversed as per everything else.   Good to see they're adding to peoples stress levels though, that's the one fucking thing they're consistently managing to do.
Absolute 3rd rate charlatans.

We've been told that the first two weeks (one of which would have been a holiday in any case) will be as planned no matter what happens - first week - seniors in all week - second week S1s in first 3 days then 2 days for S2 & S3. The reason for this is they would be used to get pupils back on track and a transition to a full timetable.

There is no hard and fast definition. But a teacher goes to university and ends up in a skilled white collar job while a working class person doesn't necessarily go to university and ends up in a profession that uses their hands which can be skilled or unskilled.

I did not go to University - my degree was from Dundee Institute (along with a postgrad) then PGCE at Northern College (Aberdeen).

As a matter of interest, we know that a huge portion of the deaths were from care homes. How did that contribute to the loading of the NHS? Did those people die in the homes or did they also constitute a large portion of the beds and ventilator usage?