Coronavirus (COVID-19)

24 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I've recently decided to follow the face mask whilst in a shop advice.

Anyone else doing this?

I know it's now mandatory on public transport but sturgeon wants us wearing them in shops too.

Yesterday in asda i saw only 3 other folk wearing them, 2 of them had them down round their neck (so completely useless). I was in the shop for a good wee while.

Anyone else using them?

I've started to doing it recently, even though I notice far less are wearing them than in the past. I wouldn't surprised if it soon becomes compulsory so might as well get practise in.

In the smaller shops where there is only one entrance/exit or if asked yes I do. They are uncomfortable in hot weather but it's a small price to pay if you need to get stuff done.
If masks are made compulsory at football grounds for the first few months when the season starts then there shouldn't be any reason why supporters cannot be allowed back in and along with this masks solve problems with social distancing including seating and also toilets at grounds where there is only one entrance/exit. It might seem strange at first and probably sweaty on a hot day, but again its a small price to pay as our football will not last long without gate paying supporters.
Anyone not wearing a mask will have to keep the social distance, not be allowed in shops or on public transport or into football grounds. Refusal to wear one, I can see this one coming at grounds if it happens will result in getting ejected from ground, public humiliation via social media and probably their photo on here on a match thread where someone is bound to recognise them.  Some would say deserving a truncheon to the face.
We're pretty far off any ship asking folk to leave if they don't have one on.

I've been convinced that this can make a helluva difference and yet wider society seems very slow to catch on. Sturgeon first mentioned it weeks ago, and has mentioned it repeatedly - but still the vast majority of folk aren't wearing them in shops.

Am i missing something?

35 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Anyone else doing this?

I know it's now mandatory on public transport but sturgeon wants us wearing them in shops too.

Yesterday in asda i saw only 3 other folk wearing them, 2 of them had them down round their neck (so completely useless). I was in the shop for a good wee while.

Anyone else using them?

Been covering my face in shops for weeks, scarf at first until I sourced some masks.

49 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Anyone else doing this?

Anyone else using them?

I have done, but often forget to be honest.

It baffled me that those working in the shops aren't wearing them. 

26 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

+8 cases (11)

+0 deaths (1)

Good news. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually expect tomorrow to be 0 deaths as well.

Tuesday will be interesting. I doubt it'll be 0 that day, but at this rate 0 deaths on a Tuesday can't be far away.

A whole week of 0 deaths must be possible too in the next couple of months.

All this dependent on everyone screwing the head of course.

42 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

We're pretty far off any ship asking folk to leave if they don't have one on.

I've been convinced that this can make a helluva difference and yet wider society seems very slow to catch on. Sturgeon first mentioned it weeks ago, and has mentioned it repeatedly - but still the vast majority of folk aren't wearing them in shops.

Am i missing something?

People won't do anything unless the government's made it compulsory, or unless they think they're liable to receive a slap from someone for not doing it. They didn't/haven't made it compulsory because the supplies weren't there, and there probably still aren't enough for businesses to have a stockpile to give to the maskless as a courtesy.

About a month ago, I finally managed to find one big enough to cover my nose and mouth at the same time; the ones in the supermarkets seem to be made for weans and small lassies. I don't get the big deal about wearing them. Since the SARS outbreak in Asia that happened years ago, there have been plenty of tourists from the region going around Scotland with face masks in public places, so I figure it might be worth following their lead, considering they have far more experience.

I don't give much of a shit about me getting it, but I don't want to be responsible for passing it on to other people who might actually die, so I don't see what's wrong with taking a precaution that, let's be honest, doesn't put me out in any way.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Anyone else doing this?

Anyone else using them?

I've been wearing one in shops for a couple of weeks now but I'm very much in the minority 

I tried a mask on Monday since they were made compulsory on public transport. Despite having it on for less than ten minutes I couldn't breathe, I could feel it on my face for ages after I took it off, and it made my glasses steam up after about three breaths, so I couldn't see anything. Since then I've worn a scarf over my face instead, but I won't be wearing it unless I'm going into a place that tells me I need to. 

16 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

The best thing to come out of the covid madness is my Christian auld dear realising trump is a balloon. 

The sad thing is, its like Johnson here, there are a considerable number of people who will still vote for him regardless of anything he says or does. It amazes me in the UK that SKy are reporting a recent YouGov poll has 44% thinking the government are doing a good job. The headline is that the majority don't think they are doing a good job, but 44% do, the mind boggles. And even worse, "30% think gvt doing well minimising deaths".  😲

53 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

I've started to doing it recently, even though I notice far less are wearing them than in the past. I wouldn't surprised if it soon becomes compulsory so might as well get practise in.

I really need to swipe some disposable masks from work and keep them in the car 'cos I keep forgetting to take mine with me.  There does seem to be far less people wearing them in the shops now though, but as long as there are enough of them, don't see why we shouldn't all wear them in shops. Of course, there's now idiots trying to claim that you'll get carbon dioxide poisoning if you wear a mask.

18 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

People won't do anything unless the government's made it compulsory, or unless they think they're liable to receive a slap from someone for not doing it. They didn't/haven't made it compulsory because the supplies weren't there, and there probably still aren't enough for businesses to have a stockpile to give to the maskless as a courtesy.

The supply of face coverings is plentiful, all sorts of businesses are manufacturing to meet this demand. In countries like the Czech Republic that made mask wearing compulsory as soon as a national outbreak developed the masks were mass-produced at a local level and got near 100% uptake within days. It is just another inexplicable chapter of the UK's response that government listened to clownshoes advisers like Leitch in thinking that the population can't possibly be compelled to wear masks for 'cultural reasons' yet shutting down vast tracts of the economy and everyday social interactions for months on end is totally legit.

10 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I tried a mask on Monday since they were made compulsory on public transport. Despite having it on for less than ten minutes I couldn't breathe, I could feel it on my face for ages after I took it off, and it made my glasses steam up after about three breaths, so I couldn't see anything. Since then I've worn a scarf over my face instead, but I won't be wearing it unless I'm going into a place that tells me I need to. 

^^^ speccy drama queen

Edited by vikingTON

11 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Maybe it was a shit mask, I barely notice mine. The cheap disposable ones are fine.

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

The supply of face coverings is plentiful, all sorts of businesses are manufacturing to meet this demand. In countries like the Czech Republic that made mask wearing compulsory as soon as a national outbreak developed the masks were mass-produced at a local level and got near 100% uptake within days. It is just another inexplicable chapter of the UK's response that government listened to clownshoes advisers like Leitch in thinking that the population can't possibly be compelled to wear masks for 'cultural reasons' yet shutting down vast tracts of the economy and everyday social interactions for months on end is totally legit.

^^^ speccy drama queen

We're not all in raptures because widespread mask use provides an easy excuse for hiding our teeth

21 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've worn one in the workplace (health and social care). The first half hour or so was as you described, but I got used to it. 

Someone also helpfully advised me to squeeze the wire bit around my nose, which stopped my specs from steaming up

From the following @StefSimanowitz thread on twitter

Boris Johnson in February

"There’s a risk that new diseases such as coronavirus will trigger a panic & a desire for market segregation that go beyond what is medically rational to the point of doing real & unnecessary economic damage, then at that moment humanity needs some government somewhere that is willing at least to make the case powerfully for freedom of exchange, some country ready to take off its Clark Kent spectacles and leap into the phone booth and emerge with its cloak flowing as the supercharged champion, of the right of the populations of the earth to buy and sell freely among each other. And here in Greenwich in the first week of February 2020, I can tell you in all humility that the UK is ready for that role."