Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, superbigal said:

So confirmed facts on Leicester.

Spike.mostly in 1 part of the city.

Mainly confined to young working aged

Is community transmission.

Also not factual but listening to a restaurant owner on 5 live. He says people have not been social distancing since restrictions lifted, so although disappointed not surprised.

There was a really interesting study in the US, released I think by JP Morgan, that showed one of the best predictors 🔮 of the virus 3 weeks before was to track the takings of indoor seated restaurants and bars. 

Edited by madwullie

45 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There are probably lots of theories about it like everything else.

Think it was @German Jag who mentioned that a lot of the workers are migrants who live in dormitory style accommodation. Hence the high levels of transmission. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

The reason meat processing plants are petri dishes for the virus is thought to be the cold temperatures they're kept at, so climate could play a role. But once it's kicked off warm temperatures don't seem to kill it off, see Iran for example. Went rampant in the relatively cold winter temperatures but is muddling on through the blisteringly hot summer.

Also meat processing plants employ a high number of migrant workers who may not be practicing social distancing effectively.

Just now, FFCinthearea said:

Also meat processing plants employ a high number of migrant workers who may not be practicing social distancing effectively.

Yeah, think the ones in Germany were living in bunkhouses, similar to the outbreaks in Singapore. But I did hear someone on the radio claim the cold temperatures were a factor in America.

I had the news on for about 10 mins and it was all doom and gloom. Leicester being in lockdown, how a “newly discovered flu could become a pandemic”. Honest to god no wonder some people are scared shitless to even go shopping or out a walk. The media certainly haven’t helped the situation at all.

18 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I had the news on for about 10 mins and it was all doom and gloom. Leicester being in lockdown, how a “newly discovered flu could become a pandemic”. Honest to god no wonder some people are scared shitless to even go shopping or out a walk. The media certainly haven’t helped the situation at all.

Should they not report those things? Do you not think they're pertinent as to what is going on in the world? Leicester especially. You should maybe try newsround if the real news is a bit much

Edited by madwullie

The doomsayers aka the WHO are saying “the worst is yet to come”. I’m sure if cases/deaths start to creep up again there will be a lot of people calling for another lockdown despite the fact it was only ever to “protect the NHS”
If you look at the Americas they may well be right. Brazil and USA with 2 right wing nut jobs and many of the rest with incompetent or corrupt governments (Venezuela being a prime example) does not bode well for dealing with Covid-19.

I strongly suspect that the only thing that is bollocks here though is the 'change them every 20 minutes' claim, given that's i) insane ii) massively wasteful for the employer's perspective and iii) not based on any health advice whatsoever. It's probably coming from the same University of Life approved thinking that claims you get carbon dioxide poisoning from wearing them as well.
The lengths of bullshit that people will go to to avoid a cost-free improvement to their own workplace safety is baffling, all because it poses a minor inconvenience to them.
Must be really shite disposable masks - even the cheapest ones I've seen last a minimum of 3 hours before needing changed.

BBC website often has daily health board by health board numbers in Scotland (number of new cases, number of those in ICU etc), but can't find it anymore. (They seem to have pulled their rolling coverai through the day).
Anyone help?
I think the numbers are so low that they would all come up as asterisks (less than 5).

I know that the last Covid-19 patient in Ninewells in Dundee was discharged 3 days ago.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/1403783/perthshire-man-is-last-coronavirus-patient-to-leave-ninewellss-icu-after-86-day-battle-with-disease/

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

What was the news like before the pandemic? Sweetness and light? If I remember it was basically about the impending WW3 with China, North Korea, Russia or Iran which has been put on hold due to the CHYNEEEZZZ KUNG FLU.

I seen the WHO announcement and it's hard to see how it wouldn't be accelerating through South America and other areas given some of the actions of some of the governments. I've not seen a big mention about Africa or how that has been impacted (or not) or if it's still a big issue in India or Pakistan (although i've not really looked) - is it still rising in those areas?

In Scotland it seems like another decent day of figures, hopefully another day in the right direction! 

I am one of those b*****d managers everyone hates. Just finished my covid19 workplace update. Shared my new thoughts with the troops. Here is one of my new workstations. Note the high standard of hand sanitizer. Guys seem quite enamoured.
Any monkey in cage responses will be deemed to be inappropriate.20200630_131536.jpeg

4 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

If they're suggesting that the spike in Leicester has been brought about by people not observing social distancing is there likely to be a knock on effect from the celebrations in Liverpool, or the the numbers who congregated on Bournemouth beach? Remember it can take up to 2 weeks for symptoms to develop. 

Heard this being discussed on the radio and they said that it's not sitting near someone on the beach (or in a park) that will cause a spike in infections, its how you travelled and behaved on the way to these places that matter more. So if you were one of the hundreds of people that piled into trains to travel there and poured out of Bournemouth train station before heading to the beach, then you are far more likely to have the virus than for example, someone who walked or drove to one of the BLM protests, where people also apparently tried to keep their distance from others and many wore masks.

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else:

Edited by s_dog

5 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

What are the figures in brackets?

I previously thought they were the figures from 7 days ago as comparison, but the decimal places have thrown me.

I think they're the 7 day averages. Now that the numbers are below 10 he has added a decimal place.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I seen a program recently regarding viruses. The folk on it basically said they are constantly monitoring animal viruses for the potential for one to make the jump and then subsequently cause a pandemic.

The gist of it was that there are millions of pathogens with the potential to do this at any given moment, and this has always been the case. Those attempting to monitor are swimming against the tide.

Scaremongering pish.

Who are "the folk"?

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Also 100 days since lockdown began, feels about 1000

It certainly does reading your daily ramblings.