Coronavirus (COVID-19)

When Nicola Sturgeon announces today’s positive tests will that include the Aberdeen player? Or does it only count people who tested positive in an NHS mandated test?

It won’t be included unless the test took place at either an NHS site or a UK Government pop-up site (Glasgow Airport, a mobile testing unit or a home test).

1 hour ago, Wee Willie said:

Surely the biggest porky was the then CMO Catherine Calderwood saying that there were 'clear medical reasons' why Charlie Windsor, his wife and presumably his entourage were tested for the virus.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Not sure if this is a parody account or not.

Mentions the CMO and all her shenanigans yet decides that was her biggest porky.

And that is my opinion. Anything wrong with that?

Not sure if this is a parody account or not.

Wtf does that mean?

1 hour ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

It seems like an eternity ago now so my recollection might be wrong but I don't think she told porkies about it, I thought she got caught in the act? 

She stood on the platform at the daily briefing and said there were 'clear medical reasons' and I think that is a porky.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

She had done it more than once.  She claimed it was a one off, lied about the reasons, who she was with etc.

She absolutely smashed the governments message of stay at home, a message she was conveying as vital. She undermined her employer.

She lied to try and save her own skin.  She is a second tier level duplicitous c**t.  First tier is of course Cummings etc.

Telling a few porkies about Windsor was in no way the same level of lie she conveyed to a nation at a time when everyone was suffering with lockdown.

Everyone was suffering with the lockdown EXCEPT Charlie fcuking Windsor and his gang.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

It was a cracker to say with a straight face to be fair

I thought the same and I'll be keeping my eye on the New Years Honours List.

2 hours ago, Binos said:

A train service with 12 people using it is not financially viable

1 hour ago, Binos said:

All the shops in the stations will shortly be shutting down

Unless passenger numbers return to normal, which they won't, something will ultimately give, obviously

The government has essentially been writing a blank cheque to public transport providers since March to run their service: which is why Abellio Scotrail are no longer desperately trying to screw as much money from their passenger base before their franchise expires.

Leitch now saying there’s practically no chance of crowds at sporting events before Oct. Strange when he was advocating for Rangers v Leverkusen and the Steroohonics concert to go ahead whilst infection rates were increasing, yet now they’re decreasing he wants to wait until Oct 🤔 by that time winter colds and flu will be making an appearance and he’ll give that as a reason to continue with no crowds

8 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Leitch now saying there’s practically no chance of crowds at sporting events before Oct. Strange when he was advocating for Rangers v Leverkusen and the Steroohonics concert to go ahead whilst infection rates were increasing, yet now they’re decreasing he wants to wait until Oct 🤔 by that time winter colds and flu will be making an appearance and he’ll give that as a reason to continue with no crowds

He’s obviously a big Sevco eh?

2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

Nipped into Tesco and was met with what felt like the pensioners couples day out.

Best combo was him with gloves on, her with  mask touching everything, passing it on to each other while stoating down the aisle the wrong way.

One aisle was completed blocked by the bingo players having a damn good chat whilst everyone else could get themselves to f**k.

Honestly if I worked somewhere like that there would be an old c**t on the receiving end of a Neil Simpson like challenge.  Now that would be worth it.

Tesco staff are the worse for it.

Dobbies you will find the pensioners are not like this.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not sure you can class Sweden's "let the virus kill who it needs to kill" approach as liberal but there you go.

Laissez-faire has been a bedrock of classical liberalism for nearly 200 years m8.

There isn’t a lot that would surprise me about this UK Government, but this has me gobsmacked.

The private companies hired to provide testing are not required by their contracts to report their findings.

There are no words.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

This seems like it's quite a big deal

It is potentially a big deal. It's my understanding that Scot Gov has been reporting based on Pillar 1 and Pillar 2 (having not outsourced testing?). I saw some maps yesterday from particularly meaty gammon types (responding to potential closure of the border)  where the inference was that Scotland was worse off in some regional areas than any regions in England. But the rates of new cases and the numbers of deaths don't support that story I don't think. So I suspect the maps consisted of Pillar 1 reporting in England but Pillars 1 and 2 in Scotland. You can see the difference for somewhere like Leicester in that tweet.

35 total covid-19 related deaths, with -20 excess deaths last week.

Hospital admissions as of 25/6 averaged 2.6 per day, with ICU admissions averaging 0.3 per day on 28/6

Edited by Todd_is_God

44 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what has Jason Leitch done that draws so much hatred in here? 

A: Making spectacularly wrong and clinically fatal judgments from the start of the outbreak. Here's a starter for ten:

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-scotland-elderly-will-not-be-asked-stay-home-jason-leitch-2451555

Coronavirus in Scotland: 'Elderly will not be asked to stay at home' - Jason Leitch

Monday, 16th March 2020, 9:17 am

Speaking on BBC Radio Scotland's Good Morning Scotland programme, he addressed concerns about an apparent variation in advice between the Scottish and UK governments.

Mr Leitch said parts of the UK are in "lock-step", adding: "We will almost certainly, as a four-country UK, we will move to a position in the next few weeks where we will ask those groups (the over-70s and those with pre-existing conditions) to not stay at home in the social isolation way that we are telling the symptomatic to do so, but to reduce their social contact."

He added: "It might be mosques, it might be churches, it might be bingo... and pubs. What we are not suggesting, unlike those with symptoms, is that those people would cut off family contact and not be able to receive visitors.

"In fact, quite the opposite, we expect family contact to increase in that group so that those people will be looked after. The last thing that we want is four months of loneliness.

"They are not going to be asked to stay at home, they are going to be asked to reduce social contact and to be careful and to use common sense."

Except that here we are on July 1 and we can see that they imposed one of the longest lockdowns in Europe that did in fact massively curtail family contact with elderly/vulnerable relatives. Even now it is still not back to anything approaching normality. Literally all of the above was proved wrong within days.

And there's more stupidity where that came from:

On school closures, he said: "Schools don't help us much with the spread of the virus. It seems counter-intuitive I know."

He added it might be appealing to close schools and colleges, "shut the border, hunker down...and reopen in two weeks' time", but added: "It doesn't work. The science suggests the virus will be there. So when you reopen, the vulnerable will be hit again and your spike will just be later."

Good call m8, that'll be why schools and colleges are now being suspended for fully five months, while countries that took the logical response of shutting their borders and closing schools immediately after a national outbreak began have had enormously better outcomes than your 'counter-intuitive' hot take. Such as Slovakia, that with the same population and similar country size to Scotland has recorded just twenty eight (28) deaths from Covid and less than 1700 confirmed cases. And that's before we even deal with his pop-sociological nonsense about face masks only being suitable for East Asian cultures but not for White Caucasian Scots.

This man has quite literally cost lives across the country with his Dunning-Kruger arrogance and in any proper public enquiry would be fed to the dogs as a result.

Edited by vikingTON

14 minutes ago, mizfit said:

That’s 9000 job losses from companies making staff redundant after using the furlough scheme.

Will the govt come down hard on them?

The point of the furlough scheme wasn't to prevent all job losses but rather to keep employees in the house long enough for the outbreak to be controlled. There's certainly scope for the government to track down fraud/piss takers over the months and years to come but companies laying off staff in July is not part of that.

20 minutes ago, mizfit said:

That’s 9000 job losses from companies making staff redundant after using the furlough scheme.

Will the govt come down hard on them?

The idea of the scheme was to:

1) Stop businesses going bust all at once; and 

2) Stop mass unemployment all at once. 

It hasn't stopped businesses entering admin (look at the retail sector particularly here) and sadly does not prevent (2) either as some businesses remain unviable, weren't doing well before Covid or realise that their customer base has vanished or been decimated. 

The government (or at least HMRC) does have scope to investigate any breaches of furloughing, but redundancies being made is unlikely to be one of them. 

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

A: Making spectacularly wrong and clinically fatal judgments from the start of the outbreak. Here's a starter for ten:

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-scotland-elderly-will-not-be-asked-stay-home-jason-leitch-2451555

Except that here we are on July 1 and we can see that they imposed one of the longest lockdowns in Europe that did in fact massively curtail family contact with elderly/vulnerable relatives. Even now it is still not back to anything approaching normality. Literally all of the above was proved wrong within days.

And there's more stupidity where that came from:

Good call m8, that'll be why schools and colleges are now being suspended for fully five months, while countries that took the logical response of shutting their borders and closing schools immediately after a national outbreak began have had enormously better outcomes than your 'counter-intuitive' hot take. Such as Slovakia, that with the same population and similar country size to Scotland has recorded just twenty eight (28) deaths from Covid and less than 1700 confirmed cases. And that's before we even deal with his pop-sociological nonsense about face masks only being suitable for East Asian cultures but not for White Caucasian Scots.

This man has quite literally cost lives across the country with his Dunning-Kruger arrogance and in any proper public enquiry would be fed to the dogs as a result.

Fair enough, it's clear I have missed something.