Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Dundee, with it's 18 total cases since 1st June, cancelling all firework displays in November to "stop the spread of Coronavirus" is laughable tbh
I would imagine it's more to do with the fact DCC, like many other local authorities, are going to be skint after all this. Probably using Covid as an excuse to save money

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

Opening the pubs back up for the first time on a Saturday is a potential recipe for disaster - it'll be mental enough here the Wednesday ours reopen, but our doing it midweek will hopefully limit both how many will go out for it and how over the score they're likely to go.

Down south every nutjob and jakeball will try and cram the three months' worth of drinking they've "lost" into one day...the whole place could well end up looking like a giant Chatsworth Estate.

You only had to look at the scenes at Bournemouth beach to know they are going to arse it up.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

On the US, the cases there quite clearly started climbing again around the 12th of June, but 3 weeks later deaths are continuing to fall. In pretty much the same manner as absolutely everywhere else.

Why aren't these increasing by now?

How are the deaths being counted? Excess deaths?

32 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Dundee, with it's 18 total cases since 1st June, cancelling all firework displays in November to "stop the spread of Coronavirus" is laughable tbh

It definitely is. I’m sure most places will follow and cancel fireworks/Christmas light switch ons and markets. Fcking Kilmarnock cancelled the light show that happens there in late Oct/Nov about 2 months ago which makes the Dundee decision seem more “reasonable” 😞

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It definitely is. I’m sure most places will follow and cancel fireworks/Christmas light switch ons and markets. Fcking Kilmarnock cancelled the light show that happens there in late Oct/Nov about 2 months ago which makes the Dundee decision seem more “reasonable” 😞

I've little issue with cancelling Christmas markets here tbh. They are utter shite. They are essentially glorified food markets. The one in Glasgow last year was charging £8 for a single onion chopped up a bit and deep fried 😂

Are the rumours the 11 cases in D&G all from one extended family via a family gathering been confirmed ?
My wife was told at work in dumfries it was a student radiographer from carlisle hospital who lives this side of the border. Apparently had a hot tub party with a group of people.
No idea if its true or not.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I would assume by counting those testing positive for Covid-19 and then dying

Given the number of Americans without health insurance or real access to hospital care, is there a chance that metric may not be wholly accurate?

1 minute ago, Qos91 said:

My wife was told at work in dumfries it was a student radiographer from carlisle hospital who lives this side of the border. Apparently had a hot tub party with a group of people.
No idea if its true or not.

Seen that mentioned many times. Sounds about right to be honest.

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

Well if they cancel the shitty hogmanay Edinburgh effort then it will have been worth it.

I’ve been once (2018) and I enjoyed it. Maybe because Thora Birch stood beside for me about 30 seconds 😂

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

I've little issue with cancelling Christmas markets here tbh. They are utter shite. They are essentially glorified food markets. The one in Glasgow last year was charging £8 for a single onion chopped up a bit and deep fried 😂

I saw that onion thing last year, fcking crazy 😂 the ex and I used to enjoy the markets in Glasgow and Edinburgh. As much as they are overpriced it was always a decent atmosphere. I’ll miss it but my bank account won’t!

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Seems a bit too straightforward, tbqh.

I find it slightly amusing that any time deaths drop somewhere (except Scotland) the first go to is that they must be counting the deaths differently (which may be true vs the UK, but is still likely to be consistent with all other figures from that country), or that they are lying.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

Given the number of Americans without health insurance or real access to hospital care, is there a chance that metric may not be wholly accurate?

It may be an under representation, yes, but it doesn't explain why those who are getting tested aren't dying

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It may be an under representation, yes, but it doesn't explain why those who are getting tested aren't dying

True, I dunno, different reporting systems might be at work. I think if excess deaths are still tracking behind infections then that is a good check for what is going on.