Coronavirus (COVID-19)

It's the rates on the Greek islands which are more important since that's where most flights depart from.   

I don't have the number to hand.   

Two hundred and seven new cases were recorded today, with five further deaths, raising the total death toll in Greece to 271.

Twenty of the new cases were detected through testing at the borders, with one further case confirmed in a visitor who voluntarily presented themselves for testing.

Regarding the location of the remaining 186 domestic cases, 97 cases are in Attica, 29 in Thessaloniki, 7 in Imathia, 5 in both Corinth and Pella, 4 in Serres, 3 in both Ioannina and Kozani. Two cases have been detected in each of the following locations, Archaia, Preveza and Pieria. Two new cases have been reported in Halkidiki. One case has been detected in each of the following locations, Etoloakarnania, Argolida, Evia, Kavala, Larissa and Florina.

Regarding the islands, 9 new cases have been confirmed on Crete (5 in Heraklion and 4 in Chania), 3 on Lesbos, 2 on Zakynthos (Zante), 1 on Kefalonia, 1 in the Dodecanese and 1 in the Cyclades (the specific islands have not been confirmed). Finally 2 cases are under investigation.

Total infection cases to date – 10,524 (55.6% male)

Total fatalities to date – 271 of average age 78 (95.9% had underlying health problems, or were over 70)

Gender of fatalities – 174 male, 97 female

Critical cases in hospital – 38 (28 male, 10 female, average age of critical patients is 68, 94.7% have underlying health issues, or are over 70)

Covid-19 deaths in Greece during the last week:

September 1 – 5

August 31 – 4

August 30 – 2

August 29 – 1

August 28 – 5

August 27 – 6

August 26 – 5

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Aside from 3% due to covid & 12% not due to covid equaling 20% of all absences being linked to covid, parents keeping kids off for no reason other than they are scared are not in any way "directly linked to covid", however you or said survey wish to represent them.

Maybe you should also enroll on said summer school classes, champ

Reveal hidden contents

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg

You'll have to run that garbled mess past an English teacher before we do anything chump.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

So quarter of the absences which were 10% greater than the average over the last decade. 

Well no actually: if the typical absence rate is indeed ~5% of all students as the article suggests then the last week's number of absences was in fact fully three times greater - or 300% if you prefer it expressed that way. Swing and a miss.

If only the great British public weren't so utterly fucking dense when it comes to interpreting basic statistics then we could have safely avoided about 50 full pages of you and Todd's abysmal hot takes by now. 

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

They specifically cited infections imported from Greece, I presume based on tracing calls they have found a pattern of people coming back. This coupled with various clusters down in England and Wales coming back from Greece I think they've acted sharp on this one to try and limit others coming in, something which should have been done way back at the start.

19 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I’m only fiddling here but I know you don’t like NS, I get that. But realistically, no party outside the SNP will deliver independence. So, without  NS, here’s the current odds for the next SNP leader. 

Eek Mackay still being quoted should maybe offer some indication of the depth of the talent pool available? 

6624A1F4-B321-4B8F-8774-94A8F34A8C35.png

I know you are, but by the time the election rolls round, NS will have been in charge for almost 7 years, and is no closer to delivering independence than the day she took on the role.

She's also overseen the Care Home disaster and the exam results fiasco, along with (in my view) a poor overall handling of the covid pandemic.

I have absolutely no confidence in her ability to lead Scotland's recovery from Covid (a recovery which will take longer as she kept our economy closed longer), never mind persuade the WM government to grant her a referendum.

The lack of depth there is indeed worrying.

They specifically cited infections imported from Greece, I presume based on tracing calls they have found a pattern of people coming back. This coupled with various clusters down in England and Wales coming back from Greece I think they've acted sharp on this one to try and limit others coming in, something which should have been done way back at the start.
One arsehole in South Ayrshire seems to be a major culprit. Came back from Zante on 21 August then went to various house parties despite knowing she had Covid symptoms.

1 hour ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

That won't be happening. Simply not a single chance seeing as teachers aren't paid for their summer holidays.

Nice try though.

They aren't paid to sit around watching Judge Judy between March and June of this year either though so their existing terms are not really relevant. It should be up to the government and their union to bargain a compromise; or just chuck the interests of students and the safety of their own members overboard again, who knows!

You'd think the man who ridiculed another poster's maths skills in the same post he triumphantly proclaimed 3 was ¼ of 15 would avoid commenting on anyone else's interpretation of basic statistics for a day or so, yet here we are...

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

One arsehole in South Ayrshire seems to be a major culprit. Came back from Zante on 21 August then went to various house parties despite knowing she had Covid symptoms.

With just 24 cases in South Ayrshire in the last 7 days I think it's highly unlikely that this one person (assuming they exist) is responsible for Greece being on the quarrantine list.

A person "coming back from holiday and doing x" is 2020's version of people painting fences to steal dogs.

This particular example is a fantastic use of double rage, getting a wee dig in at those "selfish" enough to go on holiday, whilst simultaneously having a go at NS's latest bee in her bonnet which was house parties.

Absolutely guaranteed to draw multiple angry faces and tear stained rants on fb, despite almost certain to be a work of fiction.

2 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Change those betting odds into decimals please lads.

66/5 is numberwang stuff.

I absolutely prefer fractional odds, but I also prefer the more traditional odds too.

Even though i'd lose out, I'd rather see 12/1 than 66/5

66/5 is shambolic 🤣

With just 24 cases in South Ayrshire in the last 7 days I think it's highly unlikely that this one person (assuming they exist) is responsible for Greece being on the quarrantine list.
A person "coming back from holiday and doing x" is 2020's version of people painting fences to steal dogs.
This particular example is a fantastic use of double rage, getting a wee dig in at those "selfish" enough to go on holiday, whilst simultaneously having a go at NS's latest bee in her bonnet which was house parties.
Absolutely guaranteed to draw multiple angry faces and tear stained rants on fb, despite almost certain to be a work of fiction.
My dig is at someone being an arsehole - whether or not she had been on holiday is irrelevant - going somewhere when you have symptoms - and that is not just house parties - is irresponsible.

The story by the way is across all newspapers not just the usual suspects - I doubt very much it has been made up - you will always get people who are selfish arseholes.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I absolutely prefer fractional odds, but I also prefer the more traditional odds too.

Even though i'd lose out, I'd rather see 12/1 than 66/5

66/5 is shambolic 🤣

It's because it's the smarkets exchange. They are pretty good for political markets tbf.

I'm happy with fractional or decimal but 66/5 can get in the sea.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Well no actually: if the typical absence rate is indeed ~5% of all students as the article suggests then the last week's number of absences was in fact fully three times greater - or 300% if you prefer it expressed that way. Swing and a miss.

If only the great British public weren't so utterly fucking dense when it comes to interpreting basic statistics then we could have safely avoided about 50 full pages of you and Todd's abysmal hot takes by now. 

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

I'll summarise the data for you as you're clearly out of your comfort zone. If the great British Public weren't fed statistics skewed to fit Daily Express headlines they might get better at gauging risk and when to worry or not.

During the last decade, attendance levels over the whole school year have been between 93% and 94%.

More than 100,000 pupils in Scotland are absent from school with attendance down to 84.5%, according to Scottish government figures.

Data collected from local authorities shows that more than 15.5% pupils were off school last Friday.

However, only 22,821 of the absences are recorded as "Covid-19 related".

A Covid-related absence includes a "positive test, showing symptoms, self-isolation, quarantining, and parents not sending their child to school against public health guidance".

It's also the time of year when family holidays get a bit cheaper with still a decent chance of good weather.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

My dig is at someone being an arsehole - whether or not she had been on holiday is irrelevant - going somewhere when you have symptoms - and that is not just house parties - is irresponsible.

The story by the way is across all newspapers not just the usual suspects - I doubt very much it has been made up - you will always get people who are selfish arseholes.

Hmm I did google it and the only hit I got was the Ayr Advertiser.

I agree with you re: the going out with symptoms.

Hmm I did google it and the only hit I got was the Ayr Advertiser. I agree with you re: the going out with symptoms.

The National

Scottish 'super spreader' went to house parties with coronavirus

13 hours ago

Mirror.co.uk

'Superspreader' kept partying 'despite knowing pals from ...

13 hours ago

Daily Mail

Young woman is accused of being 'superspreader' in Ayrshire

10 hours ago

The Scottish Sun

Ayrshire 'super spreader' accused of 'going to pubs & parties ...

12 hours ago

Glasgow Evening Times

Ayrshire 'super spreader' went to house parties with coronavirus

13 hours ago

HeraldScotland

Scottish 'super spreader' went to house parties with coronavirus

13 hours ago

alloaadvertiser.com

Coronavirus LIVE: 'Super spreader' went to house parties with ...

13 hours ago

52 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Research by the renowned medical expert Professor May Dupname reveals that a boot in the pie is an effective remedy in cases like this 

They aren't paid to sit around watching Judge Judy between March and June of this year either though so their existing terms are not really relevant. It should be up to the government and their union to bargain a compromise; or just chuck the interests of students and the safety of their own members overboard again, who knows!
That didn't happen either.

Next try.