Coronavirus (COVID-19)

41 minutes ago, Snafu said:

In Inverness this has been the pattern over the last few years with city center buildings being converted or being demolished for flats. I don't know if this is similar to other towns and cities but before the sixties and seventies city developments there were a lot more people living in the city center, so its kind of a return to the way it used to be.

Off topic, but the whole centre seemed blocked up with various roadworks yesterday, mostly to do with new cycle lanes I think. Ended up going out to the Dores roundabout to cross the river. They're blocking off Kenneth Street for a month soon for fibre and water works as well. Shame they didn't get it done during the lockdown.

Off topic, but the whole centre seemed blocked up with various roadworks yesterday, mostly to do with new cycle lanes I think. Ended up going out to the Dores roundabout to cross the river. They're blocking off Kenneth Street for a month soon for fibre and water works as well. Shame they didn't get it done during the lockdown.

Charles Bannerman posts daily seething traffic updates some of the Inverness Facebook groups, very amusing.

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

So Lanarkshire is going into a lockdown tomorrow isn't it?

Can see it. Nearly posted similar last night actually. Unless we're just hearing about every case now, but there does seem to be a disproportionate number popping up and it's impossible to tell if they're connected 

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Damned precautions like distancing and facial coverings reducing the viral load and our freedoms eh.

Meanwhile, what it's like if you get a full dose, from the same source.

I'm not really sure what your point is here tbh.

It's not a secret that four months ago there were a lot more people in ICU with it, and that complications can happen.

Not that that has anything to do with the fact that over the last few months we have seen a dramatic decline in both admissions to and people in hospital, despite the increase in cases.

When ICU doctors are questioning the seriousness of the current state of play, I think his opinions hold more weight than anything you or I have to say about it.

2 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

2.3% of tests positive the day. This is defo only going one way in that measure and I am sure it definitely has nothing to do with schools being back.

If may well be, but this isn't being spread evenly over the country, which given every local authority has open schools, is what you'd expect if schools were the dominant source. 87 of the 208 are being driven from 3 local authorities.

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not really sure what your point is here tbh.

It's not a secret that four months ago there were a lot more people in ICU with it, and that complications can happen.

Not that that has anything to do with the fact that over the last few months we have seen a dramatic decline in both admissions to and people in hospital, despite the increase in cases.

When ICU doctors are questioning the seriousness of the current state of play, I think his opinions hold more weight than anything you or I have to say about it.

He's just pointing out what we've all known for a while, not claiming there's nothing to worry about anymore. With no evidence of the virus losing its potency through mutation one has to assume the precautionary approach is working in reducing the viral load while gradually opening up the economy. 

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, renton said:

If may well be, but this isn't being spread evenly over the country, which given every local authority has open schools, is what you'd expect if schools were the dominant source. 87 of the 208 are being driven from 3 local authorities.

Slightly disingenuous post. 87 of them are spread over 3 local authorites, but of those, 57 are in Glasgow.

North and South Lanarkshire have huge populations too, both over 320,000 and behind only Glasgow, Edinburgh & Fife in terms of the most populous in Scotland.

Screenshot_20200906-164235_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20200906-164221_Opera.jpg

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

He's just pointing out what we've all known for a while, not claiming there's nothing to worry about anymore. With no evidence of the virus losing its potency through mutation one has to assume the precautionary approach is working in reducing the viral load while gradually opening up the economy. 

"Are they hiding something I can't see?" definitely doesn't sound like he believes there is nothing to really worry about with the recent increases right enough.

You're arguing against a point I wasn't making.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Slightly disingenuous post. 87 of them are spread over 3 local authorites, but of those, 57 are in Glasgow.

North and South Lanarkshire have huge populations too, both over 320,000 and behind only Glasgow, Edinburgh & Fife in terms of the most populous in Scotland.

Screenshot_20200906-164235_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20200906-164221_Opera.jpg

My point is that the rise in infections is localised in a way that you wouldn't expect to be true if it were due to a phenomena like the schools which would be effecting all authorities in a more uniform way.

Screenshot_20200906-164235_Opera.thumb.jpg.d25c75b3731a645d640d3d31a25e2583.jpg
Screenshot_20200906-164221_Opera.thumb.jpg.519a12bb010e5e2e87ba361a7ba472c6.jpg
What site is that?

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

"Are they hiding something I can't see?" definitely doesn't sound like he believes there is nothing to really worry about with the recent increases right enough.

You're arguing against a point I wasn't making.

I'm not sure what point you were making then. The graphs don't show anything new, and the doctor isn't suggesting a reason. You usually argue there's no need for precautions unless someone asks if you mean we should drop precautions and then you say that's not what you meant. So I suppose I've never known what point you're making, other than that the SG are idiots.

My point is that the rise in infections is localised in a way that you wouldn't expect to be true if it were due to a phenomena like the schools which would be effecting all authorities in a more uniform way.

If no covid goes into a school then it's not going to lead to an outbreak. Schools are quite possibly responsible for worsening the outbreaks in those areas that already have a higher number of cases.

13 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
18 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
Screenshot_20200906-164235_Opera.thumb.jpg.d25c75b3731a645d640d3d31a25e2583.jpg
Screenshot_20200906-164221_Opera.thumb.jpg.519a12bb010e5e2e87ba361a7ba472c6.jpg

What site is that?

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm not sure what point you were making then. The graphs don't show anything new, and the doctor isn't suggesting a reason. You usually argue there's no need for precautions unless someone asks if you mean we should drop precautions and then you say that's not what you meant. So I suppose I've never known what point you're making, other than that the SG are idiots.

I posted what I thought was an interesting tweet from an ICU doctor. That was all.

Not my fault you get a wee hardon when you see one of my posts and batter out a reply with your elbows to tell me how wrong I am.

Besides, although I made no mention of restrictions here, I thought you would know by now that I'm 100% in favour of no restrictions besides the wearing of masks in indoor / crowded places. You reply to me often enough.

Edited by Todd_is_God

It's remarkable how all this 'but... but... long Covid!!!!1111!!!!!!' hysteria only ever comes out to defend official measures and yet didn't get mentioned at all when the government decided to restart the schools at full capacity that are obviously ramping up infection.

It's remarkable how all this 'but... but... long Covid!!!!1111!!!!!!' hysteria only ever comes out to defend official measures and yet didn't get mentioned at all when the government decided to restart the schools at full capacity that are obviously ramping up infection.
Just make sure the boiler is up and running in the morning Janny.

39 minutes ago, virginton said:

The boozers etc have been open for weeks. Timelines in a rise in cases perfectly align with schools reopening.

That was to be expected though and at this stage the negatives of schools being closed outweigh the bad. I take issue with the rhetoric of that melt Leitch, either kidding on that schools are zero risk or moving the goalposts on who you can go out for lunch with.