Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If it was just schools then any rise in cases would be across Scotland not just the Greater Glasgow council areas.

Why would a school being open in some Outer Hebridean shithole where there has only been one Covid case since March contribute to a second wave of cases there?  

Edited by vikingTON

I've got to be honest and partly due to my perception of key words, I have but skimmed over your post.

Would it be fair to characterise it as snpbad / fleggood?

I read it and it’s basically sharing the general consensus that the Scottish Government is being more cautious than the Westminster government.

The point of argument is whether one or both is being either too cautious or not cautious enough and that’s a question of degrees as opposed absolutes

This can split down SNPbad/Yoonbad lines but I suspect from the tone of this particular post it’s the conflict of interest between people financially dependent on the hospitality sector and people with vulnerable family members that’s more significant.

Personally speaking I’m beginning 14 days of Westminster mandated quarantine so there’s not really any scope for Holyrood to spoil my fun any further

12 hours ago, virginton said:

If by 'everyone' you mean the shitflinging fantasist and the Tory-voting idiot currently playing the other roles in your triumvirate of fail, sure.

^^^ Qualified fantasist. 

11 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

So much factually wrong with that post, I went in for half a day during the height of the mayhem. Given that I am the Manager that isn't really a major stretch, the people I work with actually like me, it's the People at the top who think that when I don't treat people like shit, this is somehow a character flaw.

Being wrong has been the route cause of his numerous disaster-posts on this thread. Unfortunately I think receiving likes from a (mostly) who’s-who list of this forums utter dregs and petted lips (i.e. the Mallo’s and Tunbridge’s of this world) are dragging him further down the wrong path. 

I have quite an old phone which surprisingly maintains its battery at a good level. However, since downloading the tracking app, it's been flying through charge. Has anyone had something similar, or is it a coincidence?

1 minute ago, David W said:

I have quite an old phone which surprisingly maintains its battery at a good level. However, since downloading the tracking app, it's been flying through charge. Has anyone had something similar, or is it a coincidence?

Snap. I've never left bluetooth on before though.

The app slaughters my battery. Leaving either Bluetooth, Geo or both on pretty much guarantees no more than 5 or 6 hours out of it.

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

I use Bluetooth quite often for wireless earphones and having the app running as well hasn't changed my phone's expected battery life at all. 

Yeah, my Bluetooth is always switched on to sync with my car/earphones so I don't think it's that.

10 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If it was just schools then any rise in cases would be across Scotland not just the Greater Glasgow council areas.

As pointed out, the virus has to be somewhere for school openings to have an affect on cases.  So places where the virus isn't established, the schools re-opening won't have an affect but places where the virus is there schools reopening could have an affect on cases. 

So for example, in the week leading up to schools reopening Glasgow saw 71 new cases.  That is pretty low considering compared ot earlier in the pandemic but they were there.  The Highland health board saw 5 new cases during that week - obviously there's a lower population there but even taking that into account it's a lot lower, 1 case per 64.3k in NHS Highland, 1 case per 16.6k in NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde.  So you'd expect that somewhere like the Greater GLasgow area, with more cases both absolytely and proportionally could be affected by the schools going back whereas somewhere like NHS Highland wouldn't be, or would be less so.  There are obviously loads of other factors at play as well, of course.

I don't know if you can say this is a reason to keep the schools off though.

2 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Not GD this time then...

I'm sure the students all went home to their cramped accommodation separately and had a mug of cocoa before heading straight to bed.

This needs more context. Unless the 50 people were all in the same group, they weren't doing anything wrong.

An entire beach wasn't limited to 15 people, in the same way an entire pub isn't now limited to 6.

49 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What will happen is people will switch off bluetooth when they're home or on their own, and forget to switch it back on. Don't think there's another way of doing it though.

My Bluetooth has turned itself off a few times, but the app notifies you when your Bluetooth isn't on - got quite excited on seeing the notification thinking I'd inadvertently rubbed up against a covid warrior, but no, just Bluetooth off. 

Edited by madwullie

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

As pointed out, the virus has to be somewhere for school openings to have an affect on cases.  So places where the virus isn't established, the schools re-opening won't have an affect but places where the virus is there schools reopening could have an affect on cases. 

So for example, in the week leading up to schools reopening Glasgow saw 71 new cases.  That is pretty low considering compared ot earlier in the pandemic but they were there.  The Highland health board saw 5 new cases during that week - obviously there's a lower population there but even taking that into account it's a lot lower, 1 case per 64.3k in NHS Highland, 1 case per 16.6k in NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde.  So you'd expect that somewhere like the Greater GLasgow area, with more cases both absolytely and proportionally could be affected by the schools going back whereas somewhere like NHS Highland wouldn't be, or would be less so.  There are obviously loads of other factors at play as well, of course.

I don't know if you can say this is a reason to keep the schools off though.

Wouldn't Dundee and Aberdeen  have had relatively high prevalence/ capita around the time the Schools opened?

Edited by renton

35 minutes ago, renton said:

Wouldn't Dundee and Aberdeen  have had relatively high prevalence/ capita around the time the Schools opened?

After some fag packet recalibration, here are the total figures for the week leading up to schools reopening (11th August) for each health board in Scotland and the number of cases per population in each healthboard that week.

Date

NHS Ayrshire & Arran

NHS Borders

NHS Dumfries & Galloway

NHS Fife

NHS Forth Valley

NHS Grampian

NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

NHS Highland

NHS Lanarkshire

NHS Lothian

NHS Orkney

NHS Shetland

NHS Tayside

NHS Western Isles

Total

Per capita

Here are the figures for three weeks after the schools reopeend (01/09 - 08/09)

Date

NHS Ayrshire & Arran

NHS Borders

NHS Dumfries & Galloway

NHS Fife

NHS Forth Valley

NHS Grampian

NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

NHS Highland

NHS Lanarkshire

NHS Lothian

NHS Orkney

NHS Shetland

NHS Tayside

NHS Western Isles

Total

Per capita

Edited by ICTChris

56 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Pop Professor Hugh Pennington on the pile of folk VT knows better than

Pennington is an Emeritus Professor. This is how an Emeritus Professor spends every day:

Spoiler

Old Man Yells at Cloud | Know Your Meme

He also wasn't an epidemiologist or even a virologist, so in fact as specifically qualified to comment on this current outbreak as anyone on here. If there's another E-coli outbreak in his actual field of bacteriology then perhaps we should bring him out of the retirement home to contribute; until then he can be safely left to the Sunday Post hot-take column. 

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif