Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Track and trace for a respiratory virus is a ludicrous proposition.
The countries with the highest Covid deaths tolls had the lightest flu mortality in 2019/20. Conversely, the countries with the lowest Covid deaths tolls had higher flu mortality. 

I’d genuinely be very interested to see some stats for that. Very interesting if true.

2 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Cases have gone up since mandatory masks in shops were introduced 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation#:~:text=In statistics%2C the phrase "correlation,association or correlation between them.

I wonder if there could be any other reason that the numbers of cases have risen besides masks spread the virus? 🤔 

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

I notice that cases in Spain have plummeted over the past week.

So fears of a second wave were unfounded then?

No, because they've risen here so second wave confirmed 

Edit: looks to me.like they've trebled in the last 30 days and are currently rising?? 

Screenshot_20200927-144417_Chrome.jpg

Edited by madwullie

57 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

I didn’t say I was.

You, on the other hand, specifically stated that if you get bored of something that you ignore it.

As you clearly aren’t ignoring me - indeed, you are desperate for my attention - then you’re obviously not bored of me 

Cheryl Cole Okay GIF - CherylCole Okay Awkward GIFs

19 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Who latest, tired and just sad alias is this Chairman Mao p***k?

19 hours ago, ICTChris said:

More like Chairman LMAO.

18 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Whos the new zoomer?

How are you arriving at that conclusion? Closing pubs at ten seems stupid and pointless tbh, but given they always say a change takes two to three weeks to be seen, what's your basis for this?
Think the point is that pubs are telling the media that their customers are telling them they're going to the supermarkets for carry oots before drinking further.

Now obviously, they would say that. But at the same time that does make sense. If you're having s decent night then 10pm is very early to be going home, and if you can get more booze then folk heading to someone's house is inevitably going to make spreading this virus easier.

It's a horribly difficult balancing act for the authorities to get right. But I'm still leaning to towards the "restrictions are becoming more damaging than the virus" side of the argument.

Young folk getting this virus is not the worst option if we, as a society, can protect the vulnerable as much as possible, and keep the rest of society ticking over.

Journalists down south beginning to figure out the fact that schools are a major driving factor. Will any politician admit they got it wrong when they bowed to some pressure groups on the schools issue?

I notice that it is fine for 16, 17 and 18 year old kids at school to be in the same class with little distancing but the same ages at colleges and uni must remain locked away separately because their mixing is such a high risk. Staggering.

35 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Indeed, correlation doesn’t imply causation. 

It’s a casedemic!

You're right. There are a large amount of identified cases of a potentially dangerous virus for which we have no magic bullet. 

For those interested in potential treatment options, my MiL is currently part of a trial. 

There are 4 options:

Convalescent Plasma

An anti-biotic I can't remember (azrithmycin or something) 

Plus standard care, which now includes Remdesivir and dexamethazone steroid. 

Each patient (I think) gets one standard care option and one of the plasma/anti-bi. 

Essentially they're at the stage where they know these drugs work individually, now trying to see if combined they have a greater effect 

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Think the point is that pubs are telling the media that their customers are telling them they're going to the supermarkets for carry oots before drinking further.

Now obviously, they would say that. But at the same time that does make sense. If you're having s decent night then 10pm is very early to be going home, and if you can get more booze then folk heading to someone's house is inevitably going to make spreading this virus easier.

It's a horribly difficult balancing act for the authorities to get right. But I'm still leaning to towards the "restrictions are becoming more damaging than the virus" side of the argument.

Young folk getting this virus is not the worst option if we, as a society, can protect the vulnerable as much as possible, and keep the rest of society ticking over.

Can you get a carry out after 10pm - the convenience stores where I live shut then & IIRC the supermarkets block the aisles at that time too?

Can you get a carry out after 10pm - the convenience stores where I live shut then & IIRC the supermarkets block the aisles at that time too?

It’s been a long time since I went to one of these, but does anyone know if they still have those early morning boozers? Most of them you have to go through the rigmarole of ordering ( sometimes taking abite of) a manky supermarket own brand bacon roll to satisfy licence requirements when getting a drink?
If so it would solve this 10 pm curfew

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Journalists down south beginning to figure out the fact that schools are a major driving factor. Will any politician admit they got it wrong when they bowed to some pressure groups on the schools issue?

I notice that it is fine for 16, 17 and 18 year old kids at school to be in the same class with little distancing but the same ages at colleges and uni must remain locked away separately because their mixing is such a high risk. Staggering.

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

That's very inconvenient.

Do you have anything better to back this up other than official government data?

Close the pubs at 8pm imo.

Billy Porter Do Not Want GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

24 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

It’s been a long time since I went to one of these, but does anyone know if they still have those early morning boozers? Most of them you have to go through the rigmarole of ordering ( sometimes taking abite of) a manky supermarket own brand bacon roll to satisfy licence requirements when getting a drink?
If so it would solve this 10 pm curfew

:offtopic Staying off-topic when I was a student back in the 80s there were bars round the Gallowgate that stayed open well past midnight and when they closed you could move onto early morning establishments at the Fruitmarket and "do the 24". :offtopic

PS - Despite a half-hearted attempt once, I never did.

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

A good number of students quitting their Halls of Residence to return home.

Theres are also a good number of students from abroad who attended Glasgow Uni, many have already left.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18751697.coronavirus-mass-exodus-students-locked-university-accommodation/

Shambles.

Interesting that some of the students only learned that their lessons would be held online after they had traveled distances to get to the Universities.

It was billed as a mixture.

That successfully filled the halls.  

It annoys me when you hear people pressing for all learning to be on-line, as if that's the frigging issue.  It already bloody is.  How about putting on some teaching provision, at least for those not living at the parental home?  That way, there's a point to them being there, and they might actually meet some people on their courses.

It's an absolute joke that attending socially distanced, tiny classes is deemed too unsafe to bother arranging, but sticking hundreds of them close together under a roof to live is considered ok.

Wellbeing contact in Glasgow, is still not happening in the way they claimed it was in their e-mail yesterday, the one carried by the press.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

That's very inconvenient.

Do you have anything better to back this up other than official government data?

Still, I'm sure that the snippy parent brigade who were demanding EVIDENCE and FACTS in addition to, erm, the rudimentary logic and reason needed to predict this obvious wave in advance will now completely reverse their stance. What with their argument having been made in good faith and not from the desire to just punt their weans out of the house at any cost.