Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, renton said:

She has to go. 

Absolutely. 

I also don't believe Cummings should have had a choice in resigning or not and instead should've been sacked on the spot, but outside an election that isn't how it works with MPs. 

I can't understand her actions at all here - she should've stayed put the moment she'd taken the test. 

I don't think your school to university comparison is apt.
Halls are a large shared residence, not a classroom. Touching the same door handles, kettle, tap as someone else has huge risk of passing on the virus. And generally people are more lax about distancing and hygene rules in their own private space (which halls are) compared to a public space like a school.
Part of the same reason people are banned from having house parties but can still go to the pub. Mostly because in the pub people are more likely to follow rules and reduce transmission. There is a social stigma to breaking rules in public places compared to private spaces.

That’s a fair point, I didn’t word my post well. I meant that we haven’t seen a lot of significant outbreaks associated with schools, the biggest being the Kingspark outbreak, rather than make a direct comparison.

I read it when I was having breakfast at work one morning and I was expecting something funny and it turned out to be incredibly tragic (also funny. A man who could only function as first class traveller and could only enjoy interacting with the people who had to serve him. The daughter is obviously trying to put a positive spin on it but knows deep down her Dad was a deeply troubled man.
The Bosnian refugee rinsing him and then disappearing is my favourite bit.
There's definitely a movie in it. 

That is seriously fucking grim reading . I think shit like that is similar to people who get morbidly obese ( i know you’re thinking wtf is he on about ??)
To get from normal to that you have to cross several thresholds where a reasonable responsible person would stop, sit up and think ‘ right that’s enough’
I lived away from home when i was a young adult and it was extremely isolating , but was on good enough money not to jack it and come back .I did find myself blethering with retail or leisure employees for longer than was necessary but i was always at least aware enough not to be “ that” guy

Worst ever. Should be prosecuted to the fullest extent, never mind being forced to resign.

I’m trying to understand the thought process behind doing what she did and I just can’t other than she couldn’t be arsed spending two weeks in London.

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Absolutely. 

I also don't believe Cummings should have had a choice in resigning or not and instead should've been sacked on the spot, but outside an election that isn't how it works with MPs. 

I can't understand her actions at all here - she should've stayed put the moment she'd taken the test. 

SNP will (hopefully) force her out, but I guess they can't force her to resign from Parliament. And who wants to run a by-election in this environment? What's the rules on legal action against MPs? Is it only once they are found guilty of a crime that they are forced to resign as an MP?

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I don't think your school to university comparison is apt.

Halls are a large shared residence, not a classroom. Touching the same door handles, kettle, tap as someone else has huge risk of passing on the virus. And generally people are more lax about distancing and hygene rules in their own private space (which halls are) compared to a public space like a school.

Part of the same reason people are banned from having house parties but can still go to the pub. Mostly because in the pub people are more likely to follow rules and reduce transmission. There is a social stigma to breaking rules in public places compared to private spaces.

I'd assume that students are more likely than schoolchildren to be shagging each other and passing round joints too. 

Maybe not as serious, Fife have had 10 (?) schools with pupils and staff identified with covid and Sinclairtown PS in Kirkcaldy has been shut.

I’ve heard that there are a few schools shut in Edinburgh but nothing confirmed - schools have to shut if they have a certain number of staff off sick so that might explain it.

Could be that the impact of schools is wider but flatter as opposed to targeted big spikes for some other infection drivers.

9 minutes ago, renton said:

SNP will (hopefully) force her out, but I guess they can't force her to resign from Parliament. And who wants to run a by-election in this environment? What's the rules on legal action against MPs? Is it only once they are found guilty of a crime that they are forced to resign as an MP?

They can be recalled if they receive a prison sentence of one year or more (which won't apply here). Then it's over to the electorate to petition for recall. 

11 minutes ago, renton said:

I think (dont quote me on it) it has to be an indictable offence or something that carries a potential prison sentence of a pre determined time period (12 months maybe?). 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

I just fully read what Margaret Ferrier did having skimmed it before - it’s worse than Dominic Cummings. To go on a train both when you have symptoms and then again when you have a positive test is unforgivable. She should be front of the queue for a £10,000 fine.