Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Personally I like the system they’ve used in Paris. Above 250 cases per 100,000 and ICU capacity above 30% and they’ll
Impose strict lockdown measures. At least people know where they stand. Locking down the whole country to only stay in your own local authority seems mad to me when they made it clear that local lockdowns would be the way forward. It’s pretty clear where cases are an issue just now (using a metric of over 100 cases per 100,000). But no, let’s just put the whole country in lockdown for two weeks and see what happens [emoji848]

What a surprise. Measures mooted as a possibility and frequently hinted at thereafter come to pass. 

More surprises: with Sturgeon having gone first, Sunak is prepping a financial package to facilitate this in England as well. Will Matt Hancock appear today and tell us there will be no circuit breaker in England, only to be overruled in 48hrs? 

Already looking forward to Sturgeon and Johnson's gormless bleatings in late November when we're back in this position again and everything's shut down. 

Edited by Michael W

5 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Don't worry Devi says go for a walk and tough shit we're all in same boat.  This despite an avalanche of new and worsening mental health cases.  She's a moron.

It's Scotland, though - even in the driving rain people are out running. What a country. ❤️

5 post that will f**k Scotland,

You do know why yer fucked.......the people did it.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

This constant brinkmanship, this threat of 'ohhhh, ohhhh, I'm gonny do it, I'm gonny do it' is fucking wearing thin. 

They reintroduced tighter restrictions less than 2 weeks ago, fully in the knowledge and public admission that it's around a 3 week period before you see the benefits of any such actions in reported numbers. So what is with all the knee jerk reactionary nonsense? 

Again, a 2 week circuit break lockdown will not even generate an outcome in terms of numbers by the time the lockdown is scheduled to end. Any drops seen at the end of that period would be as a result of the current restrictions. 

Unfortunately, it's becoming more and more apparent that our government, like their gormless Westminster counterparts who made it immediate obvious they didn't have a scooby, actually don't know what they are doing either! 

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

She's enjoying it. She is.

This was hinted at weeks ago and was always going to happen.

Dictatorship so it is.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

It seems to me that the Scottish Government always feels it needs to be seen to be doing something when it comes to COVID-19. They are trying too hard. If I was them I’d keep going with the wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands messaging and just let people get on with it.  I’d also like to hear what the outcomes have been for the majority of these thousands of people testing positive.

If they announce another lockdown for the October holidays I won’t be happy. I get that there are more cases being reported but presumably that’s because we’re actually testing thousands of people now, where as back in the Spring you were only getting tested if you went to hospital. If deaths start rising dramatically that’s when they should be ramping up restrictions.

1 hour ago, philpy said:

This is Just going to set people right back.  I really hope she realises that it will f**k with people's mental health big style. 

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

How many lives will this save?

Stop fucking crying like a baby, and get it together.......

Just now, Scary Bear said:

#pray4Scotland

How fucking daft is that statement, you as a  UK goverment (higher in scotch) killing more folk than REST OF THE WORLD, 

sit back enjoy

5 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

How fucking daft is that statement, you as a  UK goverment (higher in scotch) killing more folk than REST OF THE WORLD, 

sit back enjoy

I’m not in the UK government gadge. Put your suggestions in a postcard and send them to Boris and Wee Nic. They need all the help they can get.

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

This thread is all the evidence you need that COVID has affected the mental health of the nation.

Previously happy go lucky guys whipped up into a panic and state of FB maw-ness about things that may or may not ever happen.

Crazy that people have opinions on a global health crisis which is impacting literally every single aspect of their lives

It seems to me that the Scottish Government always feels it needs to be seen to be doing something when it comes to COVID-19. They are trying too hard. If I was them I’d keep going with the wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands messaging and just let people get on with it. 

I wonder if they have to be seen to be doing something, but deep down, (probably the wrong way to word this) but seeing it as a positive that rates are going up, because it increases the chances of herd immunity.?

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

I was assuming there would be an even spread of the virus about society. I don’t see why that wouldn’t be the case.

This time round the most at risk are more aware of the risks and the need for social distancing, masks, etc. so I suppose you could be right.

I don't think there is an even spread but it comes in clusters. 

Edited by HeartsOfficialMoaner

15 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I’m not in the UK government gadge. Put your suggestions in a postcard and send them to Boris and Wee Nic. They need all the help they can get.

You really didnt see ......Your Govermen have killed a sickening amount of foolk with their options of life........We put the old to death....who next?  Arsholes? thats when you need......

3 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

I wonder if they have to be seen to be doing something, but deep down, (probably the wrong way to word this) but seeing it as a positive that rates are going up, because it increases the chances of herd immunity.?

You would have thought they’ll be hoping the herd immunity thing happens in time, either through a vaccination programme or through the number of people catching it and recovering. If there isn’t a vaccine how long will it take before enough people have caught it to develop herd immunity? Have the scientific/medical advisors decided if herd immunity is possible for COVID-19?

I wonder if the main reason for the circuit breaker is that they foresee a natural drop in cases during the school holiday period anyway, so to avoid it exposing the charade that schools are safe, COVID-free environments, they can put us in lockdown and when cases go down they can point to that rather than the fact the schools were off.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

I wonder if the main reason for the circuit breaker is that they foresee a natural drop in cases during the school holiday period anyway, so to avoid it exposing the charade that schools are safe, COVID-free environments, they can put us in lockdown and when cases go down they can point to that rather than the fact the schools were off.

Yes. And then schools and pubs reopen simultaneously, cases rise and it's the pubs which have ruined Christmas when we shut down over the school holidays over Christmas.

25 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

This thread is all the evidence you need that COVID has affected the mental health of the nation.

Previously happy go lucky guys whipped up into a panic and state of FB maw-ness about things that may or may not ever happen.

Only one thing for it. 

Close the schools. 

8 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Pretty much this. The original ‘zero Covid’ aim, whether it was official SG policy or just Devi or not, has been proven futile. Now that they’ve dug the economic hole they can’t now just turn round and say ‘back fill it chaps!’  

A vaccine  has always been a long shot or maybe even an impossibility but is regularly peddled to keep the public’s danders up. 

What they are doing is trying to mitigate the spread at a manageable rate through the winter and - their guess is as good as mine - hoping the virus will do what every virus does, mutate to expand its reach but weakens as it does so and it’ll dilute into disappearing without any great fanfare.