Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The Thing. Everyone in sheer panic at the thought of getting infected by a terrifying new, unknown, er, thing.

Prime Kurt Russell.

Spectacular practical effects before everything became CGI'd to the extent that instead of shooting a new movie scene at, say, a field, most movies will just greenscreen and use computers in post production to create the effect of shooting a field. Some of the LOTR stuff is ridiculous in particular for this.

The effects still hold up really well tbh.

and of course, paraphrasing but

"Now gentlemen... I know we've been through a lot recently... but if you wouldn't mind, I would much prefer not to spend the next few weeks TIED TO THIS FUCKING CHAIR"

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

The Thing. Everyone in sheer panic at the thought of getting infected by a terrifying new, unknown, er, thing.
Prime Kurt Russell.
Spectacular practical effects before everything became CGI'd to the extent that instead of shooting a new movie scene at, say, a field, most movies will just greenscreen and use computers in post production to create the effect of shooting a field. Some of the LOTR stuff is ridiculous in particular for this.
The effects still hold up really well tbh.
and of course, paraphrasing but
"Now gentlemen... I know we've been through a lot recently... but if you wouldn't mind, I would much prefer not to spend the next few weeks TIED TO THIS FUCKING CHAIR"
They "you've got to be fucking kidding" scene is another good one.

Aliens - A bunch of over confident, cocky marines in a situation they barely understand get their arses kicked and finally realise they need to take off and nuke the site from orbit.

Was in the supermarket today and two oaps were part blocking the door chatting away. They were still there when I left and the McDonald's I drove past was still full of people. The government need to close McDonalds and pubs etc if they want to see any success from their latest policy. The majority are just going to ignore the advice.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:
2 hours ago, NotThePars said:
What’s your dystopian/ pandemic movie of choice? I’m thinking Children of Men

Tarkovsky's Stalker

That's a cracking choice. Gonna try and find it on a streaming service.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I watched A Quiet Place last night, that was good.

Another great choice even if Kraszcinski is a massive dafty.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

‘Children of Men’ is bleak as fcuk at the best of times, couldn’t imagine watching it in the event of an enforced lockdown. 

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

It's a movie? I thought it was a sneak preview of a lengthy party political broadcast for the Conservative Party.

Mark Fisher called it the most accurate depiction of post-crash/ austerity Britain and he's correct. Remarkable that it was released in like 2006 as it's the movie about capitalist realism.

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

Threads. 

Too fucking bleak, mate. Come on.

I quite liked 10 Cloverfield Lane. Is prepper John Goodman (as featured in avatar (not to be confused with Avatar)) coming the c**t or is outside poisonous? Watch and find out and find the last 5mins fairly jarring. 

Very little to do at work at the moment as my NHS department mainly deals with people with pre-existing conditions and we can see most of them as it puts them at risk.

When I get back from annual leave I may be "repurposed" get your guesses in now.
Yes I would like fries with that,@Romeo

3 minutes ago, The OP said:

I quite liked 10 Cloverfield Lane. Is prepper John Goodman (as featured in avatar (not to be confused with Avatar)) coming the c**t or is outside poisonous? Watch and find out and find the last 5mins fairly jarring. 

Couldn't shake the knowledge that it only became a Cloverfield movie late in the shooting or writing (at least from what I read?) which undermines a lot of the tension but the acting is class. Makes the movie after even more hilarious though for how dumb it was.

Hadn’t looked at my bet365 app for a few days. Wondered what football was on it... turns out to be just like the Scottish Premiership, there’s a Rangers International FC.

FCAB7931-A22C-4D28-AE28-A97495068CE1.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Couldn't shake the knowledge that it only became a Cloverfield movie late in the shooting or writing (at least from what I read?) which undermines a lot of the tension but the acting is class. Makes the movie after even more hilarious though for how dumb it was.

Definitely shoehorned into the franchise for the dollaz which meant the title also ruined the ”what is really going on?” dilemma premise a bit. Some action films have the same issue, Die Hard 4 was clearly a generic screenplay about an IT supervillain and John McLean was clumsily inserted (fnarr fnarr, Kenneth Williams meme etc) at the last minute.

Haven’t seen the next one, as well as at least 20 other films, so self isolation will be a doddle.

Edited by The OP

9 hours ago, NotThePars said:

What’s your dystopian/ pandemic movie of choice? I’m thinking Children of Men

The Road. 

So fucking dark and cold you can feel it in your bones.  The book is a peach as well.

Also of its your thing check out the Autumn series of books by Brittish writer David Moody.

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows

5 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Nope.  They have cancelled their schedule.

Vue Cinema appears to be closed as well.

All gigs, events and upcoming festivals that I'm due to be crewing for are cancelled.  The production companies that we work with are shitting themselves, most have 20+ boys, plus  all the subcontractor crews like us, with nothing to do when its just starting to get into gig season again.