Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I spoke to my boss yesterday who told me we will probably be off for a few weeks on stat sick pay. Mentioned to him my Mrs woke up not feeling great but said it's probably tonsillitis, she has no fever or cough. He called me this morning to tell me I can't come in for 2 weeks, while my Mrs is away to work, how can this be right? Mental man!! Now I'm worried that our gas installs just keep going and now I need to stay off for 2 weeks for nothing. I'd feel much better knowing for sure that we will be shutting up shop in the next few days but no one seems to know anything.

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

World Relations - perhaps having a ‘common enemy’ might actually galvanise countries to realise that we all to compromise.

Sadly Trump and Pompeo are doing their best to make that China and "foreigners" in general. If his polls drop anymore that's going to intensify and target immigrants.

1 minute ago, stuartsmfc said:

I spoke to my boss yesterday who told me we will probably be off for a few weeks on stat sick pay. Mentioned to him my Mrs woke up not feeling great but said it's probably tonsillitis, she has no fever or cough. He called me this morning to tell me I can't come in for 2 weeks, while my Mrs is away to work, how can this be right? Mental man!! Now I'm worried that our gas installs just keep going and now I need to stay off for 2 weeks for nothing. I'd feel much better knowing for sure that we will be shutting up shop in the next few days but no one seems to know anything.

They're being cheapskates.

20 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Look on the bright side. As things get worse, the panic buying, the lack of a social life, never mind the thought of actually contracting coronavirus itself.... we’ll still have each other and our witty cheery P&B banter to keep our spirits flying high and our danders well and truly up.... hold on. Fcuking Div has rationed the use of the Kenneth Williams gif.

Funnily enough, I noticed on my train in the way in to Glasgow this morning that the people all around were sitting in glum almost trance like states with their faces tripping them. There was no interaction between anyone, no talking and even the phone zombies just seemed to be staring into space as opposed to their phones.

I can honestly see this taking a serious toll on mental health and no doubt suicides will outstrip corona related deaths within a matter of weeks.

6 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Tragic as it is there must be some positive unintended consequences of this clusterfuck.

Global Warming - flights being grounded all over the world will surely help in this respect.

Society - big assumptions here but surely families spending a bit more time together has to be a positive.

Global trade - hopefully out of this might come some sort of rationalisation of the supply chains. Do we really need chicken from Thailand because it’s cheaper?

Community - plenty of example of people doing their best to help others out where possible. Again surely a positive if this can be continued.

World Relations - perhaps having a ‘common enemy’ might actually galvanise countries to realise that we all to compromise.

Finally while not a positive really, I’m glad that this doesn’t really discriminate on wealth. The rich can’t f**k off to the Seychelles until this blows over.

Probably all go back to normal soon after but you have to hope..,

A lot of companies are going to realise they don't need fancy city-centre offices built for 600 staff, and the associated overheads caused by that.

Similarly, and I said this a few pages back, a lot of people are going to realise that their jobs mean absolutely f*ck-all in the grand scheme of things.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Funnily enough, I noticed on my train in the way in to Glasgow this morning that the people all around were sitting in glum almost trance like states with their faces tripping them. There was no interaction between anyone, no talking and even the phone zombies just seemed to be staring into space as opposed to their phones.

I can honestly see this taking a serious toll on mental health and no doubt suicides will outstrip corona related deaths within a matter of weeks.

They already do.

I'm astonished the panic buying of petrol hasn't begun yet.
My Mrs said that had begun yesterday. Not sure where she read it and I was just heading to work. I assumed she meant down here.

24 hour Tesco has sensibly reduced it's opening hours from 6am to 10pm now. I dread to think what state the shelves will be in now mind you as the fuckwits will panic even more.

9 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Global Warming - flights being grounded all over the world will surely help in this respect.

Global trade - hopefully out of this might come some sort of rationalisation of the supply chains. Do we really need chicken from Thailand because it’s cheaper?

Alternatively, if it makes absolutely no difference we could put the whole nonsense in the bin.

Secondly, yes. It is what makes it affordable for restaurant chains etc. If the products were produced here prices would rocket and you would then complain about that.

Supposed to be starting a new job at the end of this month, keep shitting myself that theyre going to pull the plug on it and leave me unemployed because of this mess. Colleagues at my current work think they wont be paid once sites are shut down here so seems I'd be in the same boat anyway.

20200317-sitrep-57-covid-19.pdf

Updated league tables attached. 

Pakistan is a real worry here- almost doubled without any reported community transmission + large urban population. 

Starting to wonder whether the demography of most of Africa and south Asia might help with that herd immunity approach? Can only hope. 

Just now, MixuFixit said:

My kid who was the one with symptoms is now bright as a button, 2 days into self isolation. Phone GP who says we don't need to isolate anymore. ☹️

The advice is literally for the rest of you to self isolate for 14 days. Why he would say that is bonkers

39 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Look on the bright side. As things get worse, the panic buying, the lack of a social life, never mind the thought of actually contracting coronavirus itself.... we’ll still have each other and our witty cheery P&B banter to keep our spirits flying high and our danders well and truly up.... hold on. Fcuking Div has rationed the use of the Kenneth Williams gif.

BelatedWhiteChital-max-1mb.gif.e6e04807bb4ed919cb678699d65d1855.gif

9 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Tragic as it is there must be some positive unintended consequences of this clusterfuck.

Society - big assumptions here but surely families spending a bit more time together has to be a positive.

Community - plenty of example of people doing their best to help others out where possible. Again surely a positive if this can be continued.

Finally while not a positive really, I’m glad that this doesn’t really discriminate on wealth. The rich can’t f**k off to the Seychelles until this blows over.

Probably all go back to normal soon after but you have to hope..,

Some Chinese have been posting pictures of blue skies - a rare phenomenon in a country blithely uncaring about pollution, but happening now due to production dropping.

Others nearer home are reported as posting pics of venice's canals, which appear to be a lot clearer without the swarms of tourists normally infesting them.

I honestly wouldn't mind a sizeable death toll (in the right demographics, natch*) if it helped ol' Gaia heal herself a little and made the remaining people think a bit more about consequences of their actions.

*at least one of them matches nicely with political views, so that's a start.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Just as an example. We are members of a gym. They have four aqua aerobics classes a week. The make up of that group is maybe fifteen or so elderly ladies. Some of them are still married, some widowed. I hear their talk at the tables they join together in the cafe after their bobbing up and down in the pool to Abba songs.... they are the kind of elderly people that has me saying ‘good on them’ - they are keeping fit, getting out, interacting with their friends and having a good old natter over a coffee afterwards.... for some of them, it’s what keeps them going, after losing their partner. I heard one of them say that to her pal.

If something like that stops, for a lengthy period, it is going to have a huge effect on them. That’s just one small example of fifteen or so ladies. Imagine this on a nationwide scale. I agree, the fall out of the coronavirus is every bit as concerning as the virus, for the longer term wellbeing of so many people.

25 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Don't know if anyone else has noticed something similar, however our local Tesco basically serves three small towns and living in the area you generally know most people if not personally certainly to see, however over recent days I've noticed lots and lots of strange faces so I reckon there's people literally travelling around to bulk / panic buy at various stores outwith their local area.

Not surprisingly our Tesco is empty like most others but all the local shops which are placed in the middle of schemes etc (which only locals would know about) have everything that Tesco doesn't, such as Paracetamol, Toilet Rolls, Kitchen Rolls etc.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed something similar in their own area ?

^^^

league_of_gentlemen.jpg