Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

It’s fine at the start, and I actually do miss it a bit, but when it is 3 nights a week, every week for years on end, it loses some of its sparkle.

I also used to look forward to flying. Now, the thing most likely to affect my mood is walking into security at Glasgow Airport and sizing up the people in the queue. I can almost unerringly pick out the ones who won’t take off their belt, jacket, or will leave all their liquids in their luggage.

I did Monday to Friday about once a month. Last time away was the beginning of March.  I doubt it'll ever go back to that now, but I'll appreciate it even more and be first in the queue to get away. How else would I have seen Thamesmead, Bilston Town or  Saltash United?

Had what is probably a ridiculous thought but maybe not as people are already absolutely fucked with the ramifications of this pandemic, whether that be suffering from the illness itself or one of the associated problems with loss - family/friend death, unemployment or just the general feeling of isolation etc.

Anyway, how long would it take in theory, to not just suppress the virus if you simply banned people from going anywhere or doing anything?

A few weeks is my guess, taking into account the incubation period and the like and the period of still being able to pass the virus on.

So why not close the world down for that period?

I'm serious here - no fucking about. For 4/6 weeks whatever it would take people, other, sadly for them, emergency services, are unable to go anywhere at all.

Put a plan in place so that people have the supplies necessary and just go for it.

36 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Not sure these tiers and half measures are working. What else can be done?

Time to shut the nail bars permanently.

Nothing. As has been suggested by myself many times, open everything with certain restrictions if you must (eg distancing) and get on with it. It's never been clearer that you cannot 'control' a respiratory virus so long as people are able to move and mix.

Or, if you must, shut everything (as @scottmcleanscontacts mentions above).

This idea that it's ok to catch it if you go to school, work or for a coffee is ok, but catching it at the pub or the football is absolutely unacceptable is wild. Yet it gets lapped up by simpletons who view people wanting a quiet pint as selfish, but turn a blind eye to anyone wanting a skinny latte with a slice of cake with a friend.

The economy, and peoples' livelihoods, have been destroyed for no reason.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Nothing. As has been suggested by myself many, open everything with certain restrictions (eg distancing) and get on with it. It's never been clearer that you cannot 'control' a respiratory virus so long as people are able to move and mix.
Or, if you must, shut everything.
This idea that it's ok to catch it if you go to school, work or for a coffee is ok, but catching it at the pub or the football is absolutely unacceptable is wild. Yet it gets lapped up by simpletons who view people wanting a quiet pint as selfish, but turn a blind eye to anyone wanting a skinny latte with a slice of cake with a friend.
The strategy isnt going to change now with the vaccine in sight. The vaccine is, quite correctly, the one thing that the govt have been waiting on the tip the scales just back towards balance enough to get things opened back up. It's going to be as we are or thereabouts until Feb or March probably then crack on.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
Nothing. As has been suggested by myself many, open everything with certain restrictions (eg distancing) and get on with it. It's never been clearer that you cannot 'control' a respiratory virus so long as people are able to move and mix.
Or, if you must, shut everything.

The strategy isnt going to change now with the vaccine in sight. The vaccine is, quite correctly, the one thing that the govt have been waiting on the tip the scales just back towards balance enough to get things opened back up. It's going to be as we are or thereabouts until Feb or March probably then crack on.

I suspect you're right.

Nothing. As has been suggested by myself many times, open everything with certain restrictions if you must (eg distancing) and get on with it. It's never been clearer that you cannot 'control' a respiratory virus so long as people are able to move and mix.
Or, if you must, shut everything (as [mention=7157]scottmcleanscontacts[/mention] mentions above).
I happen to fall on the side of open everything with reasonable precautions and try to get on with life but this indefinite shite moving from tier to tier and from things open to closed is farcical at best. Isn't achieving absolutely f**k all.

What's the end game? If it's the Vaccine then that's probably still some way off in reality no matter how quickly it is approved and ready. They ain't gonna get everyone in just a few weeks or probably even months.

Then of course there is the side issues of the vaccines really working and whether enough people would willingly have it administered.

The last however many months have changed the face of this country and probably the world for a very long time to come. Deep, deep down I'm not sure if it was or will be worth it.

24 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Had what is probably a ridiculous thought but maybe not as people are already absolutely fucked with the ramifications of this pandemic, whether that be suffering from the illness itself or one of the associated problems with loss - family/friend death, unemployment or just the general feeling of isolation etc.

Anyway, how long would it take in theory, to not just suppress the virus if you simply banned people from going anywhere or doing anything?

A few weeks is my guess, taking into account the incubation period and the like and the period of still being able to pass the virus on.

So why not close the world down for that period?

I'm serious here - no fucking about. For 4/6 weeks whatever it would take people, other, sadly for them, emergency services, are unable to go anywhere at all.

Put a plan in place so that people have the supplies necessary and just go for it.

We've gutted all the infrastructure in this country that makes this kind of collective endeavour impossible.

I suspect you're right.
I think the first bit will be right. I hope the other bit is right.

I will be utterly seething/despondent in equal measure if they vaccine is getting pumped into tens of thousands of a folk a week and we are still p***king about with anything beyond please keep being vigilant with personal hygiene and try to not to spread your germs.

I think the first bit will be right. I hope the other bit is right.

I will be utterly seething/despondent in equal measure if they vaccine is getting pumped into tens of thousands of a folk a week and we are still p***king about with anything beyond please keep being vigilant with personal hygiene and try to not to spread your germs.
Completely agree with your second paragraph.

The other concern I have with any vaccine is the government (Westminster that is) making a complete arse of rolling it out. I don't know exactly how they could mess it up but the fact is they've fucked pretty much every aspect of handling this so far. You'd like to think rolling out a vaccine would be the final step to getting back to some form of normality but I don't think anyone would put it past this government to make a rip roaring c**t of that as well just to round things off.

9 hours ago, Tynierose said:

In fact one prominent MSP whom I won't name described the SFA as one of the most disjointed, backward and incompetent administrations they had ever dealt with.

A bit of ingratitude from Douglas Ross towards his employers there....

We've gutted all the infrastructure in this country that makes this kind of collective endeavour impossible.
I don't disagree and to be honest that post was more of a thought than something I truly believe. Had it been done months ago then there's a chance it might have worked I don't know but that ship has sailed now. And probably sunk at the bottom of a crocodile infested sea for good measure.

Completely agree with your second paragraph.

The other concern I have with any vaccine is the government (Westminster that is) making a complete arse of rolling it out. I don't know exactly how they could mess it up but the fact is they've fucked pretty much every aspect of handling this so far. You'd like to think rolling out a vaccine would be the final step to getting back to some form of normality but I don't think anyone would put it past this government to make a rip roaring c**t of that as well just to round things off.
In terms of hitting the most vulnerable, it shouldnt be TOO much of an endeavour beyond the administration of flu vaccine surely. NHS staff will be near the front of the queue but they have been doing their flu vaccines in house, so they should pretty much be left to take care of themselves surely? Talk of having to roll out tens of millions of vaccines before we can have normality is what's giving me the fear.

Every vaccine given is a break in the potential chain surely.

28 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I don't disagree and to be honest that post was more of a thought than something I truly believe. Had it been done months ago then there's a chance it might have worked I don't know but that ship has sailed now. And probably sunk at the bottom of a crocodile infested sea for good measure.

@ThatBoyRonaldo made a great post on this thread a month or so back about how there was enough goodwill and support early on that you possibly could've engineered some sort of collective endeavour to power through the first wave and get the country back on track but the Tories have squandered a ton of that positivity and just don't have the state apparatus (whether it's the police, the NHS, social security) to do anything other than muddle through and hope it just sort of goes away. 

ETA: it could be worse though! We could be America who are just killing it at, erm, killing themselves.

Edited by NotThePars