Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Got into work this morning to be told that because someone who came into my office last Friday without wearing a Facemask has subsequently tested positive for Covid that I now have to self isolate. 
Abundance of self pity right now. I've been fortunate enough to get to the football. That's now gubbed. I can't get out for exercise and it's my birthday on Saturday. But I'm just one many that have to deal with this kind of thing and I don't have any symptoms. Nor does my partner. 
Of greater concern though is a medical issue that has been hanging over me since March - one of these previously routine hospital referrals that were cancelled - and after waiting 8 months for an appointment that appointment was due on Monday. Now cancelled because some ignorant individual didn't bother to show respect for others and wouldn't stick a bit of cloth over their face for a few minutes. 
To finish my rant. Show consideration for others and wear a fucking facemask. 
You would have to isolate in your s scenario whether the positive person was wearing a mask or not !

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Masks don't make any difference to having to self isolate.  if you are in a close contact with someone who tets positive it doesn't matter if you are both wearing masks, you both have to self isolate.

Someone in my work just been told to self isolate but was told if she had had a mask one it would have been fine (contact was outdoors walking the dog with a neighbour).

Don't know if they have got wrong end of stick though.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
22 minutes ago, John MacLean said:
Got into work this morning to be told that because someone who came into my office last Friday without wearing a Facemask has subsequently tested positive for Covid that I now have to self isolate. 
Abundance of self pity right now. I've been fortunate enough to get to the football. That's now gubbed. I can't get out for exercise and it's my birthday on Saturday. But I'm just one many that have to deal with this kind of thing and I don't have any symptoms. Nor does my partner. 
Of greater concern though is a medical issue that has been hanging over me since March - one of these previously routine hospital referrals that were cancelled - and after waiting 8 months for an appointment that appointment was due on Monday. Now cancelled because some ignorant individual didn't bother to show respect for others and wouldn't stick a bit of cloth over their face for a few minutes. 
To finish my rant. Show consideration for others and wear a fucking facemask. 

You would have to isolate in your s scenario whether the positive person was wearing a mask or not !

I'm genuinely unsure about that. I guess I'm just a bit pissed off about the whole thing and missing that hospital appointment. The rest is nothing that others haven't had to deal with and my situation is a million times better than those who do test positive. 

People should still show consideration for others and wear a facemask. 

19 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

I'm genuinely unsure about that. I guess I'm just a bit pissed off about the whole thing and missing that hospital appointment. The rest is nothing that others haven't had to deal with and my situation is a million times better than those who do test positive. 

People should still show consideration for others and wear a facemask. 

Surely it depends on how long they were in the office?

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Interestingly, the Samaritans have this morning Tweeted that data shows that there hasn't been a rise in suicide rates since lockdown started.

That's good news on one hand but bad news that the rate is still alarmingly high.

Also very annoying that "journalist" Tam McManus shared fake news about it almost as if his only criteria for getting his platform is that he used to play football.

What will be done to Save Are Christmas?
A well deserved day off for the virus on 25th December?
There should be no restrictions lifted for Christmas. If folk are going to meet with family they'll do it regardless of rules being in place or not. Lifting restrictions for 1 day would just send out the wrong message.

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:
11 minutes ago, Szamo said:

There should be no restrictions lifted for Christmas. If folk are going to meet with family they'll do it regardless of rules being in place or not. Lifting restrictions for 1 day would just send out the wrong message.

^^^^ not been invited anywhere for Christmas dinner.

It's definitely being done by stealth at my work. We get regular reminders *NOBODY* gets back into the office and it's all working from home until further notice and then I get emails from other folk saying they'll be in on monday if anyone needs mail sorted etc.
All I do is go to meetings and respond to emails in between attempts to actually do some useful work so I wouldn't say my situation has changed all that much, other than not having to listen to the guy across the desks from me saying 'remember that bit in the Simpsons when...' 750 times a day.
Yeah your particular version of it is one that doesnt surprise me. A few folk have different experiences on here but in general I think that UK employers think all of their employees are out to chisel them any way they can. I think you may have said before your work isnt like that, but even you are seeing a creep back by the sound of it.

It's a shame. A lot of folk thought this crisis would lead to a review and ultimately an improvement in working flexibility in the UK but I just dont see it happening.

For my part it's unlikely il ever be in a WFH scenario but I am genuinely unsure if I fancy it. For my entire working life, my work and home life have never mixed. Once I walk out the door it's someone elses problem till I'm back. Cant decide whether I would like the two to meet.

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
12 minutes ago, Szamo said:

I agree but I think Boris/Carrie will be more interested in enhancing their approval rating, particularly if a vaccine is on the way.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

For my part it's unlikely il ever be in a WFH scenario but I am genuinely unsure if I fancy it. For my entire working life, my work and home life have never mixed. Once I walk out the door it's someone elses problem till I'm back. Cant decide whether I would like the two to meet.

As much as I think people should be allowed the choice to WFH or not, it's not ideal in my situation. With a one year old now running round the house, the competing need to look after her and at least do some work is tough.

I think I just about keep my head above the water work-wise, and whilst my employer is understanding, I have constantly got the fear that I am not doing enough. 

29 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

As much as I think people should be allowed the choice to WFH or not, it's not ideal in my situation. With a one year old now running round the house, the competing need to look after her and at least do some work is tough.

I think I just about keep my head above the water work-wise, and whilst my employer is understanding, I have constantly got the fear that I am not doing enough. 

Pretty much the above, albeit it’s more to my workspace not being ideal as opposed to kids running around as mine at school. I’ve also told my manager that I’ll be taking breaks or stepping away from the laptop as I please because sitting at a dining table and dining chair is torture. 

26 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I haven't had a cold all year but I've taken a few days off with a sore back/arse from sitting all day. Even though I'm desk based, the amount of movement I did in the office was clearly more than I do at home and this is changing what I get ill with.

This, but my boss is fine with it as he knows I’ve had bother with backache for ages and he’s referred me to OH for physio before. He’s also accepting of the fact that WFH has been imposed on us both without choice, so he absolutely gets that I’ve already had to sacrifice home space to getting the spare room set up for my wife to work from (her job’s an office one), but he also appreciates that under no circumstances am I giving up any more of my home space to accommodate my work, especially when it’s only partly office-based.

Edited by 8MileBU