Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
Tbf the (unrealistic) expectation was set by Freeman spouting shite about 1m by the end of January.
It was a ludicrous statement at the time, and looks even worse now.

Bozo said 10m Pfizer by end January. Pfizer say they will deliver 2m and that's in line with the UKG contract. Not hard to see where the issue arose, I assume the SG gave the 1m based on the pro rata distribution model (near enough at 8.5% being 850k).

And that was just by the end of December, presumably she expected further deliveries in January.

I do like the way that some people just think it turns up packged etc and then you just rip open the packages and start firing into it to people 

Anyway even Stamer is now saying national lockdown for England instead of being a tory backbencher about it all 

Edited by doulikefish

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

And that was just by the end of December, presumably she expected further deliveries in January.

How inappropriate of the plebs to expect that the *checks notes* Cabinet Secretary for Health (and Sport) would have an accurate understanding of vaccine supply for the biggest public health/economic crisis in multiple generations, instead of havering self-congratulatory nonsense predictions and then blaming everyone else for them not being met.

30 minutes ago, bendan said:

I was thinking more that we could just do no teaching at all for the next few weeks and make it up from the holidays planned for later in the year.

Even the best intentioned parents are likely to make a mess of it. Just drop the whole idea. If children need to repeat a year they can.

I was thinking more that we could just do no teaching at all for the next few weeks and make it up from the holidays planned for later in the year.
With estimates due by 28 May - and they have to go through internal, external and cross-authority moderation - and schools have barely scratched the surface with assessment - that is a non-starter.

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Even the best intentioned parents are likely to make a mess of it. Just drop the whole idea. If children need to repeat a year they can.

I was genuinely thinking my youngest could go with repeating a year because of all this.

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

How inappropriate of the plebs to expect that the *checks notes* Cabinet Secretary for Health (and Sport) would have an accurate understanding of vaccine supply for the biggest public health/economic crisis in multiple generations, instead of havering self-congratulatory nonsense predictions and then blaming everyone else for them not being met.

Good to see you’ve learned from the error of your ways in referring to Leitch as the CMO and are now checking notes to get the positions right. 

11 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

I do like the way that some people just think it turns up packged etc and then you just rip open the packages and start firing into to people 

Anyway even Stamer is now saying national lockdown for England instead of being a tory backbencher about it all 

I don't think anyone thinks that. But it does need to be ensured that absolutely everything in our capacity is done to ensure every possible vaccination takes place as early as it could.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
47 minutes ago, bendan said:

With estimates due by 28 May - and they have to go through, internal, external and cross-authority moderation - and schools gave barely scratched the surface with assessment - that is a non-starter.

Why can't everything, including university entrance, be put back a few weeks?

6 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I don't think anyone thinks that. But it does need to be ensured that absolutely everything in our capacity is done to ensure every possible vaccination takes place as early as it could.

Yesterday you were complaining that nobody was getting the oxford jag after  sky news were saying they were being delivered to hospitals so you obviously did 

3 hours ago, renton said:

Well, no. They extended the holidays by a week to the 11th, then online earning only to the 18th  at least.

No way are they going to announce tomorrow that they are going back in on the 18th. 

Cancelling the exams seems like a bit of a masterstroke by the Welsh and Scottish Governments it will have taken a lot of pressure off them with this "missing learning" crap that the Tories are banding about. Of course by cancelling exams you also cancel the exam leave so basically extended the school term by what 4 weeks.

Cancelling the exams seems like a bit of a masterstroke by the Welsh and Scottish Governments it will have taken a lot of pressure off them with this "missing learning" crap that the Tories are banding about. Of course by cancelling exams you also cancel the exam leave so basically extended the school term by what 4 weeks.
Estimates need to be completed by 28 May - most LAs will want them in before that point to allow for cross-authority moderation - you are looking at the beginning of May for this to happen.

There isn't an extra 4 weeks - not unless the Depute First Minister instructs SQA to shift the goalposts (again).

17 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Yesterday you were complaining that nobody was getting the oxford jag after  sky news were saying they were being delivered to hospitals so you obviously did 

That batch of vaccines unquestionably should have begun to be administered today.

But I understand that they don't grow on trees (all the more reason to have a cohesive plan in place that doesn't result in vaccines sitting in fridges for 24 hours)