Coronavirus (COVID-19)

A colleague of mine in London is now in hospital.  Earlier in the year her aunt and uncle died of Covid, her mother died of it last week and now she and her father are in hospital with Covid.

18 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Hard to disagree with that tbh. Classifying food takeaways as essential, for example, is nonsense. If offices and restaurants are closed as they are unsafe, then the kitchens of food takeaway places aren't safe either.

Neither are the likes of B&M or Home Bargains "essential"

Supermarkets, unfortunately for those who work in them, clearly are essential, but the floor staff should be moved to the top of the vaccination list.

The SG are "running out of lives" so to speak for the number of times they can rely on people having faith in them producing anything beneficial from their smorgasbord of restrictions.

Crafty allusion to Sweden slipped in...

I know nothing gets P&B going like the mere mention of 'Brewdog', and whilst it's not exactly a done deal, it's interesting to note that they say they're now in talks with SG (and presumably UKG?) about using their pubs as vaccination centres.
Given the offer from Brewdog was made not even a week ago, it does point to a lack of preparedness. These things should have been organised months ago.

What “things” should have been organised months ago?

Do you think that the SG was going “oh, we have no idea where to vaccinate people. If only we had access to the 14 bars Brewdog have in Scotland - that would be a game changer”

Let’s forget about all those community centres, GP practices, sports halls and so forth that we could have used. Brewdog is the saviour.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A colleague of mine in London is now in hospital.  Earlier in the year her aunt and uncle died of Covid, her mother died of it last week and now she and her father are in hospital with Covid.

That sounds like incredibly bad luck. Hope she and her dad recovers

12 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Is Us for Them like a subset of Facebook maws from Mumsnet?

Yes incredible amount of fun to be had, I've spent that last 40 mins replying to some of the moon howlers, some of them are talking about how they only want their kids to have an education like then. Except their post usually looks like this:

Ah Only   want my Kids to have the Same EDUCATION   as I did when I was wee End Of

I can't believe Jack McConnell is on side with it.

4 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Do you think that the SG was going “oh, we have no idea where to vaccinate people. If only we had access to the 14 bars Brewdog have in Scotland - that would be a game changer”

Let’s forget about all those community centres, GP practices, sports halls and so forth that we could have used. Brewdog is the saviour.

My dad got his flu jag in Wishaw sports centre. As you say, all that infrastructure already exists - there seems to be some impression that none of this has been thought about up till now... maybe because it isn't shouted from the rooftops to people who aren't normally affected. 

30 minutes ago, 101 said:

This "UsForThem" group are completely unhinged one of their demands is send Covid+ children back into school. Utterly stupid people surely can't be more than 50 or so parents who actually believe that crap, it is so incredibly selfish.

The use of the word Inundated would indicate either more than 50 or James is exaggerating.

I’m not sure what the majority view of parents is, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the majority thought that schools should remain open. 

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

My dad got his flu jag in Wishaw sports centre. As you say, all that infrastructure already exists - there seems to be some impression that none of this has been thought about up till now... maybe because it isn't shouted from the rooftops to people who aren't normally affected. 

I got my flu jag in the Adam Smith Theatre in Kirkcaldy. I suppose having more venues may be a help, given the increased numbers needing vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Oh FFS. Like I say, nothing gets you lot going more than Brewdog 😀😂

A plan on who, where and how should have been in place long before the vaccine was approved. Seemingly being in negotiations with an outfit who made their offer after the vaccine was approved is indicative of poor forward planning (in my opinion)

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The use of the word Inundated would indicate either more than 50 or James is exaggerating.

I’m not sure what the majority view of parents is, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the majority thought that schools should remain open. 

I'm a parent, and if as thought this strain is more transmissible amongst kids, then I think they should stay closed. 

The wife is working all of the next fortnight so it'll be sleeves up as I try to help teach a p1 and a p4. Not exactly looking forward to it, but the noises coming out of their school is its going to be far more teacher led and far less "busy work" than we experienced in March (which was a binfire imo). 

I genuinely don't know any parents amongst their friends that wants them to go back. That doesn't mean they don't exist of course, nor that those thinking like me are in the majority

Edited by madwullie

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I think you'll find they're needing to vaccinate a few more people for this than the flu.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

NHS care facility in Larbert currently into the teens for staff and patient cases, with case #1 being a wife who had a house party on NYD. Minter.

Some people are so selfish. (Although I thought the virus had a 10 day incubation period?)

9 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I had a look at their Facebook page they have 12,000 members. Either they don't all subscribe to their views or Scotland has come so far off the rails that even asking parents to look after their kids for 10 days to stop the spread of virus is now too much to ask parents to do. It's honestly unbelievable.