Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Its enormously different in both scenarios.  Two first world European countries, going much further than we do.

Also this, imagine this, happened today. A 70 year old guy with learning disabilities dying alone in a hospital not knowing what's going on. I'm sorry but nobody's mental health problems compare to this. 

Wearing masks and limiting numbers in shops is enormously different to us?

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Wearing masks and limiting numbers in shops is enormously different to us?

Yeah, did you read what it said?  Its the law in Spain as soon as you leave your house you must wear a mask at all times indoor or outdoor everywhere you go no matter what.  That is not the case here, not even close. 

In Germany shops are limited by size of shop, here that isn't the case, and we don't require people to take trolleys to keep track of them. 

My local paper shop is about 20 square metres and allows up to 8 at a time, in Germany that would be 2. But that was mandated by government, that hasn't happened here.

2 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Yeah, did you read what it said?  Its the law in Spain as soon as you leave your house you must wear a mask at all times indoor or outdoor everywhere you go no matter what.  That is not the case here, not even close. 

Good

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I see Pep has discovered the Covid thread.

emoji849.png

I still think the user limit idea of something like a dozen posts per day plus double on your birthday was a good one.....

Edited by PWL

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

You’d have thought a man with his political influence could get things changed for the benefit of everyone

Know what's funny, I get accused of lying all the time on here, and in pretty much every single case the person doing the accusing is lying in order to do it.  Ironic eh. 

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Going by Scottish Government figures we need to vaccinate about 32k people a day to hit 800k total by the end of January.

Is this realistic? And yes I know it's dependent on "supply".

There are 1,100 sites now across Scotland so an average (I know it’s not as simple as this but for illustration purposes) of 30 per day per site seems piss easy. 

22 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Going by Scottish Government figures we need to vaccinate about 32k people a day to hit 800k total by the end of January.

Were they not saying they will only have circa 500,000 vaccines supplied to Scotland this month so no chance of 800k anyway.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

First day of remote learning has not gone well as MS Teams has had technical issues across the UK.

Just wondering if it's down to not being able to cope with the increased traffic.

Seen this being widely reported. We had our usual Monday morning work team meeting at 10am on Teams with no issues. My daughters school are issuing work via the SeeSaw app so thankfully weren’t affected by the Teams issue. 

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

First day of remote learning has not gone well as MS Teams has had technical issues across the UK.

Just wondering if it's down to not being able to cope with the increased traffic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55616153

It's been a shambles across the board for MS Teams today.

ETA: Takes a good 20-30 minutes to upload a single attachment, then kids still can't access the files, work is disappearing. Just a shambles that's clearly been brought about because just about every single teacher in the country is trying to upload work and the kids are all on the server looking for an update as to what is going on.

It will obviously improve over the coming days.

Edited by Ludo*1

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

The HASAWA has placed the responsibility on both employer and employee to manage significantly more dangerous working conditions than covid for decades though. Having been used to working under that act, why cant employers be reasonably expected to do what is neccessary, employees expected to follow said guidance, and the HSE to be contacted in the event of a failure to do so? 

Like 101 said, it's a bit different for employers. For me that can reasonably be expected to be told what constitutes "covid secure" and act to make that happen. 

Absolutely this. Covid is nasty, but it's  not in the same league as electricity, flammable gas, asbestos, forklifts, blasting explosives...

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

You're right, but that was in March. The UK Gov could have done something similar, but chose not to.

People are now tired and fed up with restrictions, and the level of acceptance and compliance is lower in general.

That's not to say it won't happen, just that the public mood is different now.

People are fed up with restrictions which don't appear to apply to the rich and powerful.

Two words which have torpedoed the level of compliance and caused (imho) thousands of deaths - Barnard Castle.

41 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It’d take some effort. My wifes practice was told to expect roll out last thursday so they booked the town hall and arranged to open the surgery last weekend, no vaccines came and no explanation as to why not. They’ve been told it’ll now be Thursday at the earliest. God knows how they are deciding who’s to get the vaccine right now but its an absolute farce.