Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I did mention on here weeks ago that the first waves of vaccines would bring the first waves of 'it's not working!!!!' panic.

Partly fuelled by the shocking revelation that despite receiving a vaccine with less than 100% efficacy, some people will still contract covid and partly fuelled by those who think 'vaccine done, I'm in the clear', go out and inevitably get a mild case of covid, contributing to a surge in positive cases.

What a startling revelation to see both of those things happen almost fucking instantly and the panic-stricken headlines to accompany it.

Edited by djchapsticks

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I did mention on here weeks ago that the first waves of vaccines would bring the first waves of 'it's not working!!!!' panic.

Partly fuelled by the shocking revelation that despite receiving a vaccine with less than 100% efficacy, some people will still contract covid and partly fuelled by those who think 'vaccine done, I'm in the clear', go out and inevitably get a mild case of covid, contributing to a surge in positive cases.

What a startling revelation to see both of those things happen.

It's helpful in that it reinforces the message as to why there is a need for restrictions to remain in place for about 3 weeks following the completion of vaccines for a particular at risk group, but that's about it.

The media in the UK have been utterly dreadful throughout the whole debacle tbh.

Edited by Todd_is_God

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

So it's working almost exactly as we were told it would?

The article says its lower than Pfizer had said, and the Israelis had expected. But I dunno, reading the twitter comments, it's impossible to tell who knows what they're talking about and who is some swivel eyed lunatic with an agenda (and a podcast). 

This has almost become an ideological issue now, and people rushing to pigeonhole others that don't subscribe to their particular views is really unhelpful (this isn't a dig at you mate, more a general observation). 

26 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'll be honest, I couldn't care less if everyone contracts covid so long as it prevents people becoming gravely ill or sick to the point they need an ICU.

0% efficacy would be acceptable if it cuts out 100% of severely ill people. Of course those figures would never happen but surely even if it has a low efficacy but protects very high percentage of vulnerable people from getting gravely sick, it will have done its job.

22 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

That’s what I’ve been saying, we don’t shut life down to a standstill because folk arny feelin well

But the Devi's of the world and other head cases think that nobody should die of Covid - and they're in people like Sturgeon's ear as she continues to desperately ensure she looks like a Poundland Jacinda Ardern in the eyes of her borderline cultists.

Of course, about two million people died of TB last year, all in third world countries, but who cares about that. Death isn't allowed any more - and until the obsession stops in the media, I don't see how we move past this.

Before the pandemic, 1,500 people died every single day in the UK. People just have no sense of perspective or reality and it's going to take some time to move on from.

Edited by Elixir

44 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The QoS Arena vaccination centre has been running for two days now. They are in there tomorrow too but only three days a week at the moment. It's certainly picking up though.

My Dad's getting his at the Loreburn Hall tomorrow.  My wife's been doing the vaccinating for the last two days in Lockerbie and Annan. A friend's mum's getting hers on Thursday.  It's happening down here alright.

Just now, madwullie said:

The article says its lower than Pfizer had said, and the Israelis had expected. But I dunno, reading the twitter comments, it's impossible to tell who knows what they're talking about and who is some swivel eyed lunatic with an agenda (and a podcast). 

This has almost become an ideological issue now, and people rushing to pigeonhole others that don't subscribe to their particular views is really unhelpful (this isn't a dig at you mate, more a general observation). 

Lower than Pfizer had said was always going to be the case though. That was quite widely acknowledged at the point where they'd admitted that the 90%+ was based on those who were symptomatic and the figures were skewed.

Similarly, the figures dropping to 52% are potentially skewed the other way if they've picked everyone jabbed in the first 3 weeks who have contacted covid, given that we know the protection rate is low or non-existent in the first couple of weeks in particular.

Again though, even 52% efficacy in the very short term is a strong result if, as suggested it reduces the severity of the virus in the vast majority of those who do get it. As long as the people getting it continue to be sensible in the first few weeks then I fail to understand why this could be seen as anything other than a good thing.

6 minutes ago, Elixir said:

But the Devi's of the world and other head cases think that nobody should die of Covid - and they're in people like Sturgeon's ear as she continues to desperately ensure she looks like a Poundland Jacinda Ardern in the eyes of her borderline cultists.

Of course, about two million people died of TB last year, all in third world countries, but who cares about that. Death isn't allowed any more - and until the obsession stops in the media, I don't see how we move past this.

Before the pandemic, 1,500 people died every single day in the UK. People just have no sense of perspective or reality and it's going to take some time to move on from.

To be fair to Devi and her colleagues they are health experts not economists of course they want to save every life.

However the First Minister's job is to weigh up the advice from health folk saying lockdown for ever with economist saying unlock rapid. 

Now some deaths are unnecessary, seeing the levels of death in England's care homes is depressing as by now it's almost avoidable dying of Covid and by the end of the month Scotland's care homes will be at peak resistance, sadly England won't be in the same place.

I don't think people have no sense of perspective, a 3rd extra people have died today that is not an acceptable level. Of course if we got to low double digits then I think people would rightly assume that is acceptable collateral damage. But 600 extra deaths being seen as normal would destroy our mortuary system and long term lead to mass graves which thankfully we have avoided in the UK.

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 minutes ago, Elixir said:

That's a bit over the top is it not ?

Sturgeon is pursuing pretty much the same tactics as every other western leader, including the Tory clown. 

She isn't getting everything right, and as I've said earlier she's inherently conservative, but there's nothing to suggest that she's waiting for the last case of Covid to disappear in Scotland. 

So you think death is acceptable then do you? Well if you want to go to the pub that badly why don’t you pick a member of your family to die from covid then? Go on?
Cause obviously it works exactly like that and lockdowns don’t have any adverse affects. Stop complaining , some people had to fight in a war and all we have to do is stay in the house and watch tv- and have every aspect of our life controlled by someone else yknow like c***s in the jail do!

For all the Facebook maws get alot of stick I’m glad theres at least a chunk of society who aren’t just sitting cowering about a scary virus out there and people are dying!
Yes a pandemic is more extreme than the usual set of circumstances but the devis of the world surely can’t be in the majority even within their field can they? Disease and death have always been a part of life itself?

I am one of that most hated groups of people, a cyclist, if you were to ban all motor vehicles from the road then the chances of me getting killed in an accident would be around 1% of what they are normally. Would anyone think that is worthwhile ? Would they say “ if it saves one life then do it” would they f**k and rightly so becuase it’s nonsense.
Risk is a part of the game. Staying indoors and living like we are now is not risk free, you simply move the risk to something else

Tl,DR
I’m fed up , get this tae f**k as soon as reasonable practical

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

To be fair to Devi and her colleagues they are health experts not economists of course they want to save every life.

However the First Minister's job is to weigh up the advice from health folk saying lockdown for ever with economist saying unlock rapid. 

Now some deaths are unnecessary, seeing the levels of death in England's care homes is depressing as by now it's almost avoidable dying of Covid and by the end of the month Scotland's care homes will be at peak resistance, sadly England won't be in the same place.

I don't think people have no sense of perspective, a 3rd extra people have died today that is not an acceptable level. Of course if we got to low double digits then I think people would rightly assume that is acceptable collateral damage. But 600 extra deaths being seen as normal would destroy our mortuary system and long term lead to mass graves which thankfully we have avoided in the UK.

Oh for sure the levels of death right now are morally unacceptable, but I'm talking in a more general sense that a lot of people don't seem to realise the horrors of death and poverty that existed long before the pandemic and will still exist long afterwards.

At this stage I really don't think there's much more we can do. The vast majority of the population is going to catch this sooner or later, it just depends if they'll have been vaccinated by then first.

My only hope is that by next winter deaths return to pretty much average levels, with few if any restrictions in place, as that is what will signal the end of the pandemic and will make the suppression of liberties unjustifiable.

17 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That's a bit over the top is it not ?

Sturgeon is pursuing pretty much the same tactics as every other western leader, including the Tory clown. 

She isn't getting everything right, and as I've said earlier she's inherently conservative, but there's nothing to suggest that she's waiting for the last case of Covid to disappear in Scotland. 

Sturgeon strikes me as being sucked in by the 'Zero Covid' pseudoscience fantasy. Some of her MP's, like Philippa Whitford - a surgeon, retweet things advocating it. I am an SNP supporter through and through, but their apparent lack of pragmatism is concerning and testing.

9 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

So you think death is acceptable then do you? Well if you want to go to the pub that badly why don’t you pick a member of your family to die from covid then? Go on?
Cause obviously it works exactly like that and lockdowns don’t have any adverse affects. Stop complaining , some people had to fight in a war and all we have to do is stay in the house and watch tv- and have every aspect of our life controlled by someone else yknow like c***s in the jail do!

For all the Facebook maws get alot of stick I’m glad theres at least a chunk of society who aren’t just sitting cowering about a scary virus out there and people are dying!
Yes a pandemic is more extreme than the usual set of circumstances but the devis of the world surely can’t be in the majority even within their field can they? Disease and death have always been a part of life itself?

I am one of that most hated groups of people, a cyclist, if you were to ban all motor vehicles from the road then the chances of me getting killed in an accident would be around 1% of what they are normally. Would anyone think that is worthwhile ? Would they say “ if it saves one life then do it” would they f**k and rightly so becuase it’s nonsense.
Risk is a part of the game. Staying indoors and living like we are now is not risk free, you simply move the risk to something else

Tl,DR
I’m fed up , get this tae f**k as soon as reasonable practical

See my post above.

Edited by Elixir

7 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Oh for sure the levels of death right now are morally unacceptable, but I'm talking in a more general sense that a lot of people don't seem to realise the horrors of death and poverty that existed long before the pandemic and will still exist long afterwards.

At this stage I really don't think there's much more we can do. The vast majority of the population is going to catch this sooner or later, it just depends if they'll have been vaccinated by then first.

My only hope is that by next winter deaths return to pretty much average levels, with few if any restrictions in place, as that is what will signal the end of the pandemic and will make the suppression of liberties unjustifiable.

Then it's a sage idea to keep things locked down for the next 10-12 weeks until the 'at risk' groups get vaccinated.    

The (lack) of sensible response to the whole pandemic has been an eyeopener - as they haven't a scooby doo, but I support closing schools and businesses till as soon as we get the vulnerable vaccinated.  

40 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

My Dad's getting his at the Loreburn Hall tomorrow.  My wife's been doing the vaccinating for the last two days in Lockerbie and Annan. A friend's mum's getting hers on Thursday.  It's happening down here alright.

Lochmaben Community Centre (also run by QoS) being opened up to do vaccinations there too though not sure if that's started or not yet.

14 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Then it's a sage idea to keep things locked down for the next 10-12 weeks until the 'at risk' groups get vaccinated.    

The (lack) of sensible response to the whole pandemic has been an eyeopener - as they haven't a scooby doo, but I support closing schools and businesses till as soon as we get the vulnerable vaccinated.  

Inclined to agree. And then get on with opening up.

A 12 week lockdown sounds horrendous, but I imagine most would take it if, all going well, by the end of April we were on a three week count down to Level 0 restrictions, with a firm commitment to review the removal of any and all remaining restrictions every 2 or 3 weeks thereafter.

Edited by Todd_is_God

29 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

That depends on what you mean by 'keep locked down'. If you mean 'tiered restrictions according to regional cases', then absolutely. Just bring schools into the setup instead of pretending that they don't have an impact and the measures can clearly be ratcheted up/down according to need. If you mean 'keep the current near blanket lockdown for another 10-12 weeks because big scary mutation threat' then no, that strategy can f**k off quite frankly.

And after the vulnerable categories have been vaccinated then tier 0 should actually mean zero restrictions instead of this 'nearer to normal' goalpost shifting exercise.

Edited by vikingTON

4 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

How many covid deaths are acceptable so people can get a bevvy in the pub?

How many hundreds of thousands of people losing their jobs and livelihoods are acceptable, so that Devi Sridhar can get a promotion by peddling zero Covid drivel?