Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Yes, I've seen that. RECOVERY is also looking at colchicine in critically unwell patients. It's a positive development. There was biological plausibility why colchicine would potentially work (due to its mechanism of action), it's also relatively safe.

This is in contrast to the majority of the potential drugs which mostly have narrow therapeutic windows, implausible actions and can be difficult to administer or monitor.

1 minute ago, Cyclizine said:

Yes, I've seen that. RECOVERY is also looking at colchicine in critically unwell patients. It's a positive development. There was biological plausibility why colchicine would potentially work (due to its mechanism of action), it's also relatively safe.

This is in contrast to the majority of the potential drugs which mostly have narrow therapeutic windows, implausible actions and can be difficult to administer or monitor.

So to suggest bunging a few of these sweeties to those who test positive  may be a viable scheme..  I believe they cost about the same as smarties.

5 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Well there's been ~38k people in hospital with covid for the past 10 days or so (slight rise then slight drop) and if the proportion of younger people has increased in that time, what does that tell us? If anything, they shouldn't be reporting in proportions becuase inevitably doubters will use that to cast shade on the point.

I get they've been extremely negative at times through this, but when it comes down to it ~100k more people have died than normally would and we've been stuck in our houses over that time, so it is quite a negative time. 

I'm all for being positive, but at the same time, dismissing all negative news/POVs as fear mongering is no better than bringing up negative shit all the time. 

I was referring to the data from Israel.

5 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Well there's been ~38k people in hospital with covid for the past 10 days or so (slight rise then slight drop) and if the proportion of younger people has increased in that time, what does that tell us? If anything, they shouldn't be reporting in proportions becuase inevitably doubters will use that to cast shade on the point.

I get they've been extremely negative at times through this, but when it comes down to it ~100k more people have died than normally would and we've been stuck in our houses over that time, so it is quite a negative time. 

I'm all for being positive, but at the same time, dismissing all negative news/POVs as fear mongering is no better than bringing up negative shit all the time. 

Am I picking you up incorrectly, or are you using the increase in percentage of younger people in hospital in Israel (caused by a drop in older people due to extensive vaccinations) and applying that trend here to suggest that as we are not seeing an overall reduction in hospital numbers we must have more younger people in hospital than before?

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

No it hasn't. The existing data may not indicate a statistically significant reduction in risk for mild/moderate cases, but that has not yet been shown to be a fact.

There were over 6000 patients in the dexamethasone arm of RECOVERY. It was a well-performed, pragmatic, multi-centre trial.

There was a non-significant trend to an increased mortality when dexamethasone was administered to patients not requiring oxygen. Are you seriously arguing it should be used in these patients when the data we have suggests it does nothing at best and may actually cause harm?

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It snowed today, so obviously there was nothing else for the Express to try and have people panicking about. 

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It’s cool that lunatics banging on about Bill Gates controlling people with the vaccine will let stuff like this pass by virtually unchallenged

Playing devil's advocate here a bit, but would anyone have put up the huge amount of dosh in a bet to start production before it had passed phase 3 tests and been authorised, if anyone could enter the market with a dead cert after it was ok'd?

There were over 6000 patients in the dexamethasone arm of RECOVERY. It was a well-performed, pragmatic, multi-centre trial.
There was a non-significant trend to an increased mortality when dexamethasone was administered to patients not requiring oxygen. Are you seriously arguing it should be used in these patients when the data we have suggests it does nothing at best and may actually cause harm?

That’s exactly what he’s saying, as apparently a pandemic means you not only can but should do anything.

He is an utter clownshoes.

2 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Absolutely he is.  I think his position is that anything is better than nothing.  Doesn’t matter what the anything is.

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

So randomly firing drugs with no proven benefit into you is a “medical” intervention?  

It's not random champ, literally the same drug is used to treat Covid patients in hospitals right now.

Go wild if thats the healthcare you’re happy with.

Well you must be thrilled with the ethical alternative of twiddling our thumbs until they go into a (full) hospital, it's been such a roaring success.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Playing devil's advocate here a bit, but would anyone have put up the huge amount of dosh in a bet to start production before it had passed phase 3 tests and been authorised, if anyone could enter the market with a dead cert after it was ok'd?

Asking JTS to link me his primo stash of weird bootlicking images

Just now, Left Back said:

Absolutely he is.  I think his position is that anything is better than nothing.  Doesn’t matter what the anything is.

I'll stop interacting with him now for my (and others') sanity. I'm sure he'll claim victory, but it's obvious he's never been arguing in good faith. Dunning-Kruger in action.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Am I picking you up incorrectly, or are you using the increase in percentage of younger people in hospital in Israel (caused by a drop in older people due to extensive vaccinations) and applying that trend here to suggest that as we are not seeing an overall reduction in hospital numbers we must have more younger people in hospital than before?

Do we know that the increased percentage of younger people in hospital in Israel, or here for that matter, is solely due to vaccination or could it also be due to the new variant? 

14 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

That is still one trial. The number of approved treatments for community cases (prior to today's potential breakthrough news) meanwhile has been a big fat zero. 

In that specific context then it is right to fire out a treatment that has a proven impact on severe Covid more generally, rather than wringing hands about its overall effectiveness and doing literally nothing instead.

Edited by vikingTON

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Asking JTS to link me his primo stash of weird bootlicking images

We live in a capitalist world M8, and Gates has enough to last him thousands of lifetimes. I really don't think he's trying to make a few bob out of Covid, just passing on advice about making things happen quickly in the real world. As I said, playing devil's advocate.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do we know that the increased percentage of younger people in hospital in Israel, or here for that matter, is solely due to vaccination or could it also be due to the new variant? 

I genuinely haven't seen anything about percentages here, so I'll pass on commenting on that.

But the figures in Israel are almost certainly down to a reduction in older people going in to hospital. Whether that is down to the vaccine alone is up for debate, but it looks to be an extremely key factor.

I'd be astonished if the maybe more transmissible but probably not; maybe more deadly but probably not UK variant was driving hospitalisations of younger people in Israel, though.

Edited by Todd_is_God